Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: lockdown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile lockdown

lock down is something seafarers know very very well.....a trip from shields down to the southern hemisphere on a 10 knot tramp managing 8knots.....can surely be declared a lock down .......it was really just getting into a rythm.....almost hypnotic day after day.....the only breaks being BOT sports and the extra pleasure of a sunday at sea....people looking fitter as the bronzy worked its wonders .....personally i have no prob with the lockdown as my routine change is not a lot .....walk the dog ....tidy the garden... peel the tatties veg etc ....hide in the shed.....wash the car .....etc etc ......look on this site great entertainment ...can still chat to buddies on the phone or net .....just those out of work are a sad occurance.....like all things it will pass ....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: lockdown

And how many times after a few days ashore, boozing, etc were you glad to get back to sea, wash the ship down, clear the decks and back to the watches, and just enjoy the routine kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and be pleased you had not recieved any presents .......or mobiles .....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, we've all experienced long weeks at sea with it's attendant routine, but there was always an end to it unlike the current attack which seems never to be resolved. One close member of my family recently died from this terrible disease, and what is a cause for concern is the England lockdown is 4/5 days hence, plenty of time for final celebrations, thereby potentially increasing the virus to us all. Me, I'm pulling up the drawbridge, having my food and drink delivered and preparing to go to hell in a handcart.
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not a handcart gilly A VIKING LONG SHIP....or as my old boxing coach used to say pull up your nicks and box on.....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 I tend to steer clear of anything Nordic since I was roughed up by a bunch of Scandies in the Texas Bar in Lisbon.
    R635733

7. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

remember two skandies getting shot in caracas venezuela....in 58 or59 didnt see it but i believe they were shot with a tommy gun type weapon....not a good place ....but do remember the old man sailing very close to devils island down that coast .....mostly overgrown but could still see some old buildings ,,later read the book papillon .....one of the great reads of my life.....i think papillon is french for butterfly...steve mqueen made a film but not a patch on the book ......which is often the case cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ywo Swedes were Killed by the Vigies in the California Bar in Montevideo just because I could not speak Swedish and a Swede started the fight.

As regards Lock down, In Seven months on a VLCC never got ashore or hardly saw land.
    Two months round the Cape to the Gulf, load from a Sea Buoy 40 miles off shore then two months at sea back to Milford, a day alongside discharging, then another two months at sea round the Cape back to the Gulf.,
    half a year at sea.in lockdown. No TV, No Computers, no papers or magazines,.
    No Bar, No alcohol; at all, Dry ships.
    At least we didnt get into any bad situations
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 1st November 2020 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

those swedes could not handle there booze ......but we picked one up in oz or kiwi .....he was looking to get home to sweden ....as we had abs skinned out he was taken aboard .....he had not been back to sweden for i believe 7 or 8 years.....he had done many different jobs ie painting sydney bridge ....worked up broken hill and on tuna boats with handlines ...etc very interesting to listen too ...his mother was very old and he wanted to see her again.....he was iether jens jensen or hans hanson .....ist and last names the same we sailed back up the tyne and we showed him where the leda and blenhiem and other scandi vessels which ran from the tyne over to norway where.....i recall tying up to spillers mill in gateshead which is now the world famous baltic ......times sure change ...we had humped up from oz.....happy days were did it all go .....cappy

- - - Updated - - -

would have only done that trip once brian.....but then was never a company man.....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    those swedes could not handle there booze ......but we picked one up in oz or kiwi .....he was looking to get home to sweden ....as we had abs skinned out he was taken aboard .....he had not been back to sweden for i believe 7 or 8 years.....he had done many different jobs ie painting sydney bridge ....worked up broken hill and on tuna boats with handlines ...etc very interesting to listen too ...his mother was very old and he wanted to see her again.....he was iether jens jensen or hans hanson .....ist and last names the same we sailed back up the tyne and we showed him where the leda and blenhiem and other scandi vessels which ran from the tyne over to norway where.....i recall tying up to spillers mill in gateshead which is now the world famous baltic ......times sure change ...we had humped up from oz.....happy days were did it all go .....cappy

- - - Updated - - -

would have only done that trip once brian.....but then was never a company man.....cappy
    I went aboard a Stag line vessel on that berth to see a mate, what a shock, the accommodation was terrible, an old Shell H boat was way better,
    He later skinned out in Dublin, never went back to sea.
    By coincidence his real name was Capps.
    Last edited by Tony Taylor; 1st November 2020 at 05:09 PM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast