Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: inventions and lifestyles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default inventions and lifestyles

It is strange the number of inventions and lifestyles we have become addicted to. Television, that box in the corner, which has become larger and larger over the years perhaps even hanging on the wall like a work of art. Hundreds of channels pouring out exactly the same rubbish we all complain about, but how many of us would be without it?
    Mobile phones, the spy in your pocket which tracks our every move. Addicts in a state of panic because they have left home and forgotten to pick up their phone.
    Junk food, guaranteed to grow your ass into massive proportions, also with the added benefits of diabetes and heart attacks.
    Supermarkets, the new religion who employ very well paid professional experts to arrange their stores so we will buy all the things we do not want or need.
    I could go on and on but Home and Away is starting soon and I have left my mobile upstairs on charge.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: inventions and lifestyles

Yes Louis
    Many complaints on the Box mate, but as said how many would be without it these days!
    There are many repeats that i grant, but at least a lot of them are Funnies and keep me sane at times! LOL
    As i also have the Foxtel Box connected, that gives me a lot more scope to choose from, the Sports Channel of course being my Favourite, plus the History and Documentary Channels.
    Then as said there are those thank the Lord comedies, like Porridge, Yes Prime Minister, Open all Hours and the likes, which although are all repeats, i dont seem to tire of them and still sit and get a lot of good laughs out of them.
    Oh well i suppose we are all different, but in the main i enjoy the Box!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The box, or as it is now the screen.
    The mobile, a bonus or a menace?
    For some it is the only way they can get around, head down fingers twitching on the screen, oblivious to any thing else.
    Supermarkets, worked for Safeway for 18 months, first one I recall was a Co-Op way back in about 1952/3.
    Yes they are laid out in such a manner that you have to travel all around it to find all you need.
    We are all now captive to some form of addiction or an other and that before we start on nay drugs.

But like all the new inventions such as Stephenson Rocket they will hopefully be improved to add to our quality of life.
    Though for me such things as Facebook do the oposite.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    #Good viewing....me nothing like a good Scandinavian crime book. Difficult to follow and you can never figure it out until the very end.
    Then you may enjoy 'The Bridge' 'The Lawyer' 'Moscow Noir' TV series, all English subtitled, but also okay if you speak Swedish, Danish and Russian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. #4 There are two Australian programmes I do like to watch although they are virtually the same.
    Gold Hunters and Opal Hunters. To be able to go into the outback with only a 4x4 and metal detector and perhaps dig up a fortune appeals to my sense of adventure. For the opal hunters it is not so simple, heavy machinery needed to shift tons of earth in the hope of finding the opal seam. Other prospectors hacking away at the walls of a mine they have dug searching for the stones which have taken thousands of years to develop into opals.
    I have been to Australia many times and when this virus madness is finally beaten I would like to make one last visit to see the underground homes of the permanent residents of the opal towns and meet the people who live there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis, we have been to Coober Pedy where they live underground.
    A most fascinating place that when you approach it looks more like the surface of the moon.
    We were there in January and fi gets hot, bloody hot was at one time 52 degrees for part of the day.
    The houses are excellent though not quite what you may expect, only one pub in town but about twenty clubs.
    There are many nationalities working the area and all have their own club.
    A church underground and one of the finest you will see anywhere.
    Well worth the visit and do hope you make it over there mate, you will love it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Louis the fly thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re comments watching Scandi Dramas, its comforting to learn that not all scandinavians stinking of whale meat attempt to cause trouble in every Texas Bar from Lisbon to BA that I've frequented.
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the memory Gilly.,
    This is what happened to me in the California Bar in Montevideo,...
    .............................A Voyage on the URMSTON GRANGE................

One night when our crowd was in there, around ten of us sat at a long table, next us was a table full of Swedes. I was on the end of our table and opposite me was a Swede, we got chatting, he told me he was off the `Uruguay` a Johnson liner that was tied up astern of us.
    While we were talking I happened to say that he spoke excellent English. He said “Yes I do, do you speak Swedish?” I replied `No`.
    His attitude suddenly changed, “Why not, is Swedish not good enough for you?” I replied that I had never been to Sweden.
    Then he says “So Sweden is not good enough for you” then he stands up and hit me so hard my Granny felt it 7,000 miles away.
    I did a complete somersault over the back of my chair hit the wall behind me and landed on the deck.
    Our crowd jumped up and the battle began. The girls were screaming and around twenty men were battering each other. I stayed where I was as the sawdust built up around me from the destroyed furniture.
    Then the Vigilantes rushed in, armed with rifles, sabres, and pistols.
    A Swede hit one of the Vigies, The Vigie drew his sabre and hit the Swede on the head, I saw the sabre slice through his skull as far down as this nose, like chopping an apple. A fountain of blood shot up to the ceiling and the Swede collapsed in a pool of blood. Kinnel, this shouldn’t be happening.
    Another Swede grabbed the pistol out of the Vigies holster and fired it, a deafening crack and every one hit the deck.
    He ran out of the door and turned right and ran into a yard at the back of the bar, He was cornered and the Vigies went after him. We heard shots as we jumped over the body of the young Swede and turned left and ran across the road to our ship, up the gangway and battened down our cabins and turned in. We never went ashore again, the Swedish flag on the `Uruguay` was at half mast. A very sad night, I felt awful, because I could not speak Swedish two men died.

Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 16th October 2020 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking about shows? On netflix in Oz there is a show called? "What About Dick" I recommend it to put a smile on the old boat race for sure. It is written by Eric Idle to give you some insight. I think the song near the end where she talks about playing with her P N O is great when you think of it being the Pee iNg hOle or that could just be my slightly soiled mind LOL. A lot of the shows I manage to watch repeats of as have sort of forgotten them just like the sixties. Makes me wonder if I am alone here. Most of you can recall everything that happened in the sixties but for the life of me it is a total blank. I do recall how great the feeling was to have lived it and how life was totally different to now. Can recall ships I was on and the times spent of them or locked up but the recollection of specific times eludes me as do the most of the names of ship mates I sailed with. That does not mean I have old timers or dementia just that the sixties where well spent and not wasted on this little black duck. Can not blame it on drugs either unless alcohol is included.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sixties, beginning of a new era, the Pill came about so sexual freedom began.
    The world was coming out of the dregs of ww2, a new dawning for so many.
    It was to be for so manty the greatest decade of the 20th century.
    New music styles, clothes, flaired trousers, platform shoes, no more rationing of anything, a feeling of great anticipation and for many of us the start of a new life, one we maybe never imagined would be as it was.

We all have great memories of that time, some greater than others, but for us it will always be the greatest adventure of them all.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, John Gill thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast