Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Got a light

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Got a light

Naughty, naughty, Victoria. You speed read over my second paragraph. I mentioned I visited Tassie and Canberra. We were in Tassie for three weeks. We took our camper across on the ferry from Melbourne (and back). We loved it. I got a bang out of Hobart as I visited there as a catering boy on my first trip, on the Port Jackson.

We went in the museum in Hobart and there was (is?) a model of the Port Jackson and I was able to point out my cabin porthole to her.

The only disappointment was there was no dancehall for the radio station 7HT, where I met a girl, Beverly, and she crossed along with a girl friend, Dawn, to spend some time with me and my cabin mate, in Beauty Point where we were docked for five days loading.

I'd planned to take my wife to 7HT dancing there.

I have some wonderful memories of Tassie and the Tasswegians (Tasmanians) from both visits.

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How right you are John S, I remember when one of the Feds said that there were too many unions in Aus for the time, I think, 20million people. He said that Germany with many more millions only had 9 unions, I don't know how many we are down to now but the politicians have increased incrementally. And go Daniel in Victoria you have got the covid numbers down to 5, while ours here in NSW are still climbing, good on ya .
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, at last count from what I know speaking with my neighbor who works the dock side cranes there is about 12% of the workforce now unionized.
    As to Victoria Des and the Virus.
    Yes we are down but you must understand we were well down to one or two a day until the state gov stuffed up with the hotel quarantine.
    Had they used professional guards, police or ADF we would never have got to over 700 cases.
    They chose to use an Aboriginal company who took on any one as guards, some slept with those in quarantine, allowed them to go shopping etc.
    The went home and spread it around.

Most of yours in NSW are from returned travelers, with only a few community transactions.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't forget John it all stated with the dick brain in NSW letting the Ruby Princess dock, and even spread to the US by letting people fly home.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

6. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you think back... I didnt emigrate officially until 1991 into Australia. Just to compare myself with some of the modern day illegal immigrants and all the shouting about let them stay, my medical condition was such that I was tested for VD , Aids, General Health, Eyes Ears Nose and Throat so to speak. chest complaints , I had to have annual inspections for 3 years after arrival to see there was no increase to scarring of the lungs. To top it all had to sign a paper to say I wouldnt be a burden on the state financial wise and someone had to stand surety. This was similar to Canada in 1966. Today you have thousands daily having free ingress to countries with very little health checks. To magnify the problem in Europe to those who advocated free and open borders , would be a good time to remark to them that famous saying twixt Laurel and Harvey, Another Fine Mess Youve Got Us into Ollie . JS
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in 1980 when we immigrated here JS we had none of that, lucky i guess in a way, although i never was a burden on the Country, had to pay our own fares here as well no assisted passages then. we arrived and i was in a job in the very first Week of being here!

My dear Wife also in the very next Week started at the Bank.
    We Rented a House from an Elderly couple who were off to the UK for an extended Holiday (Six Moths) so that was a big help, the Rent was very reasonable , just paid into an account for them each Forth night then. The House was of course fully Furnished with all we needed ,so just Food to buy. Got the Children into School pronto, no probs and all close by us.

So that helped to save quite some, in those Six Months and by the time it was time for the Owners to return, i had then secured a Flat with three Bedrooms etc. They were Brand new Flats just completed, so that too was great.
    Once we moved from the House to the Flats 2 days before we went shopping, and we purchased a full load of most everything we needed for cash, i wont forget the Salesman he was dumbfounded , it was quite a lot ,and those days when i say cash i mean cash, as i had drawn the whole bleedin lot.

So besides the old 1979 Holden Commodore that we had Bought in Week three after arrival, on the Never never plan (I always hated debt) we had not a penny debt,so managed to live quite well. Never had to apply for the Dole ever, so only once i was eligible for the Pension did i become a sort of Burden LOL
    But i have always believed in paying full, and as said besides that once, have never had debt ,and always been that way. If we could not afford to buy it cash, then we would do without it and wait .
    End of Story!
    Cheers

Added Oh yes i forgot The Houses! Well yes the first here was bought on the never never, but again we got lucky and although it was initially over 20 Years, after hard saving and then with the Wife getting a redundency pay out with the Bank , we managed then to Pay it all off .
    The second one here in the Mountains ,that was paid cash from the sale of the last one, with a surplus of $8000 , so that was fine. All worked out well.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th October 2020 at 01:33 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WE came out on holiday to see her brother and family who came out in the 60's.
    He asked me to take some papers to a friend who was the manager of a branch of Bank of Victoria oz.
    He asked if we liked Oz and would we lie to go back to live.
    No worries mate, working 8 days a week running pubs and restaurant it would be heaven.

He sorted it all and i do not recall if we had to pay the air fare or not, think he fixed that as well.
    After some 40 years, built three houses, this m one now worth more than the three put together we have no complaints.

Like many who came here we worked and put into the system, now we are reaping the rewards.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Denis O'Shea, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria
    You may have read it wrong?
    Cheap you said? I did not say how much we paid. But then in fact they were pretty cheap and our first House in Penrith was at $119000. We sold at $350000 after 17 Years, we then Bought here in Blackheath for $342000 leaving us with $8000 surplus. Been here for 10 Years now and the latest Valuation for our place is now at $745000, so still not bad at all. But wont be going anywhere now, as age has caught up with us and besides we are so happy here. Quaint little Village that has become so popular over the period we have lived here!
    On Week Ends there virtually now Thousands coming through here, and all the Cafe's are packed out the Locals dont stand a chance of getting a seat any longer. Bit of a bind at times , but good for the small businesses here.
    Now plans are underway to construct a long Tunnel below the Village , to divert all the Heavy Trucks that have become a real pain in the rear, it disrupts the Harmony of the Village Atmosphere and is at times a danger for the Elderly trying to cross the Main Highway.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/about/new...lackheath.html

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...12-p5646b.html

R697530

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not decrying the plain advantages of living in this country Vernon as could give a very similar version. But pointing out the health checks and most probably are big additions to the present pandemic which is spread purely person to person by the free movement of people who seem to think it is against their freedom of movement. The World has had very similar to the present through the ages. plagues were quite common in the middle ages in Europe , and had also at various times in between , even mad cow disease and Asian flue were considered invincible in their day but a cure was eventually found. Today the emphasis is put on loss of productivity , the answer is in the peoples hands , money or your life, Bring back Dick Turpin. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still love the place we are in , be it getting too popular for many older residents that live close by the actual Village.
    We are 2 km away so dont really get bothered by any Travelers or whatever that pass or stop by here for a day or so.
    I was just mentioning the fact as it has soared in popularity in the past few Years, dont ask why>
    So for us still very quaint and quiet, hardy hear a Car day or night, so no complaints , suits us just fine.
    Cheers

R697530

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast