Thread: French stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: French stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Ivan.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought it was an Algerian port where they shelled the French Fleet.
    Des
    You are of course correct Den, memory ain't what it used to be, perhaps I should have consulted Google but I try to avoid that as I want my sometimes faulty memory to keep on working, even if not on full load. I understand that Marseilles was the largest French Naval home port which may have confused the grey cells, sorry for misinformation.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The port in question was Mers-El-Kebir in Algeria. Some of the ships were salvaged and repaired. These became part of the main French fleet under the Vichy French in the port of Toulon. The Vichy French air force shortly after the battle bombed Gibraltar and the allies also had further actions with the Vichy French in Dakar and Syria. The Admiral in charge of the new fleet at Toulon in November 1942 had a similar problem as He thought that the Germans were about to seize the fleet. He had a choice of sailing the fleet to hand it over to the Allied or German/Italian navies but decided to scuttle the fleet instead and managed to sink a total of 77 ships which included 3 battle ships 7 cruisers and 15 destroyers, fortunately there was only one casualty.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    French though that their language should be an international one.

Another odd statement not meaning the missing T. (thought)

A major world language, French is an official language in 29 countries across multiple continents,
    French has a long history as an international language of literature and scientific standards and is
    a primary or second language of many international organisation's including the United Nations,
    the European Union, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the World Trade Organization, the
    International Olympic Committee, and the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Fairly International ?

5. Thanks Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The french sank a lot of our ships off the coast of West Africa/
    The survivors were kept in Prison camps in worse conditions than the Japanese ones.
    Red Cross parcels were dumped in the swamps to rot.
    Many were marched through the jungle, swamps and desert to Timbuctoo , a thousand miles inland and killed there, Their graves are now being looked after by the CWGC.
    After the war a large sum of money was paid by the french to the Atlee Labour Government for the widows and orphans of the dead Seamen, BUT the Labour Government Confiscated the money, so they got nothing.,
    I wrote 8 letters each to Miliband, Corbin and several other Labour Leaders, asking what happened to the money, Not One Replied
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 8th October 2020 at 06:24 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Was that Mers el Kebir when the Royal Navy Sunk the French Fleet in WWII ?

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

#36, Find it odd that you have never received any response at all from
    those you have said have been contacted, have a chat with your MP on
    this, they can open doors for you. I maintain good relations with local
    authorities inc Mayors in my and other areas etc.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not speak Gudgerati , Keith
    Brian

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Find that odd, what has a minor state in India have to do with your writing to officialdom here ?

K.

PS: Try - https://www.bolton.gov.uk/council/mps-meps/1

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 8th October 2020 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fouro .
    Thanks for that post, Ivan had me going there, as the night before my wife asked me who a certain singer was and it took me two hours and a lay down to remember it was George Formby that she wanted.
    As for the French and the Scots getting on, the French have never forgot the help you gave sweet Bonny Prince Charley, and have had that relationship since.
    Des

- - - Updated - - -

Ivan.
    I forgive you mate, read the post to Fouro, it just made me question my memory cell
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Victoria
    Just wondering when that was? Year!
    I ask as it rings a bell for me as well, when myself and my late Brother were actually going from Dover to Calais, it was a memorable trip with lots of Fun and Laughter aboard, only thing it was really crowded, but all added to the experience i suppose.
    Those days it was a Night Trip we took and it if i recall took all night to get to Calais.

There were lots of Frenchies aboard and Boy! could they make you laugh! Also had quite a few Drinks my first taste of the Vin Rouge which was great! Along with the long loaf it went down a treat! Had many more of that when we got to France.

So if it was around that time for you, i wonder if per chance you may recall the name or names of the Ferries, i have been trying for Years to recall but no luck!

And i somehow do recall there was a Cafe on the Ferry Wharf but the other side of the Exit Customs ,

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast