Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Insurance

Like all of you we have various insurances, house and contents, vehicle, travel etc.

Over the years they have increased at a steady rate.
    This year as a result of all the Bush Fires here in Oz house and contents have gone up by a considerable amount, mine from $88 to $99 per month.

But for some odd reason our vehicle insurance has gone down, on one from $920 to $852 per year.

Today it was announced that motor vehicle insurance around the nation was at a median price of $920 per year, but here in Victoria we are above that at a rate of $ 995.

How do insurances compare in UK?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Insurance

Insurance here for whatever subject is a minefield and a lot depends on your Post Code for both your residence/contents and/or vehicle. If you live in an area known for crime or flooding then your premiums are loaded. Vehicle insurance is based on a number of factors, again crime areas figure, is your car kept on a public road/private car park/garaged, value of car, make of car, is it easy to repair, but on this latter some expensive cars are easier to repair than cheaper stylish cars, the more creases in the design the harder they are to repair and premiums reflect this, and then of course their is your own driving record and history of claims and any DUI convictions, and then AGE, they just cannot wait for you to reach a milestone in years so that they can load the premiums. Then there is your proximity to the sea or rivers, they wanted to load my premium because I live about 300 yards from the sea, but I did explain to them that if I got flooded then we would all have nothing to worry about as I also live 300 feet above sea level.

3. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Insurance here for whatever subject is a minefield and a lot depends on your Post Code for both your residence/contents and/or vehicle. If you live in an area known for crime or flooding then your premiums are loaded. Vehicle insurance is based on a number of factors, again crime areas figure, is your car kept on a public road/private car park/garaged, value of car, make of car, is it easy to repair, but on this latter some expensive cars are easier to repair than cheaper stylish cars, the more creases in the design the harder they are to repair and premiums reflect this, and then of course their is your own driving record and history of claims and any DUI convictions, and then AGE, they just cannot wait for you to reach a milestone in years so that they can load the premiums. Then there is your proximity to the sea or rivers, they wanted to load my premium because I live about 300 yards from the sea, but I did explain to them that if I got flooded then we would all have nothing to worry about as I also live 300 feet above sea level.
    Ivan, You have blown it mate 300 feet above sea level, Low flying aircraft plus as we have seen high flying containers there is a premium you will have to cover both. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry we often hear the Coastguard helicopter but we cannot see it, as it is below our eye level

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never accept first renewal quote for car insurance.
    I received my renewal, price increased by over£50, got cheaper quotes.
    I phoned up to cancel the insurance company beat their rivals.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought an ex demonstrator Skoda last October, went thro Skoda Insurance and paid £267, with a guarantee they would hold that price for three years.
    My first renewal arrived today and sure enough, same price as last year. Hard to beat a deal like that.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Sticking with a company no longer pays, they punish loyalty.

Would go with Vic #5: Shop around for best deals.

Keith.

9. Likes Red Lead Ted, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that bit Ivan.

Our insurance companies here are similar in as much as your post code may effect the premium particularly when it comes to theft.
    But the competition between them is very strong though you have to be very wary of some offers.

we have only three insurance companies, but a dozen or more agencies all owned by one or other of the three.
    Many think they are individual, that is until they make a claim.

But the payout percentage is only a very small fraction of the premiums they collect.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When it comes to the one commodity we all need to get on with our lives money, There is only one person you stay loyal to and that's yourself i never have a problem if i get offered a better deal, Switch Banks/ Fuel Providers/ Insurance/ Internet Provider/ no one owns you. The only thing i cant seem to shake off is this bloody big dragon sitting 2 meters away from me.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the problems here in Oz with changing suppliers each year is the fact at some time you will run out of them.
    There is also the matter that when you work it all out there is very little difference.

My brother is a sparkie and he went to the trouble, using a spread sheet , to compare the cost of electricity with eight different suppliers.

Using his own figures on a recent bill he compared them all, percentage off, basic rate etc.
    At the end of it all the main difference was in the order of only cents.

We do have a default rate for electricity which is a basic one that the companies cannot fiddle with.

But my gas bills, I get two lots of discount for paying on time, use direct debit, seniors allowance and a discount for loyalty.
    It took 29% off the original cost of my last bill.

Had budgeted for about $400 for the two months, bill came in at $287.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 19th September 2020 at 05:21 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Red Lead Ted liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast