Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A bloody good read

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A bloody good read

Dennis, I agree with you, but I think that backsliders, shirkers and the like have always been around to some extent.
    I think a lot of is due to motivation of the individual.
    I have been in my current job for about 22 years now and in that time have seen some excellent young people coming through.
    I recall one young lad I recruited back in about 11/12.
    I was tipped off about him during a chat with one of our sub contractors who said he was an excellent worker and travelled some 40 odd miles to work and was never late for a 6am start.
    I interviewed him initially in a truck stop on the M6 one thursday and he turned up in a T shirt and jeans; he then tells me he is doing a masters degree at University as when he got his 1st class honours degree in chemistry he couldnt find a job, so went off to another university to do the masters but took a manual job to sustain himself.
    During the chat, I asked him what he thought his best achievement was so far, and this was his answer-
    Myself and my friend bought an old VW polo and drove across country to Ulan Bator in Mongolia, with some hair raising events along the way.
    This kid was about 9 stone wet thro and totally fearless.
    I called my MD and recommended he spoke to this lad, which he did the next day (Friday) and the kid was on a plane to Holland on the Sunday as we had a big LNG project running there and needed an extra pair of hands. It was hard graft and long hours, 7 days a week for about 3 months.
    He got stuck in without any complaints, only from me as he was meant to be working for me.
    I eventually got him and he was real asset to the company ( after I kitted him out with a suit and some shirts, he literally only had what he stood up in, his pay went on squaring away debts).
    We have one or two more like since also, but you will always find some deadwood in every outfit.

To cut a long story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For many years now here in Oz the unemployment payments, Dole money, has never changed from the $40 per day it is.

As a result of the Virus lock down the feral gov increased this to $80 a day until September.
    It announced yesterday that it will then drop from $80 to a lower sum but not as low as the $40.
    The Labor opposition says it should stay forever at the $80 rate.

But no said the gov, do that and there will be no insentive to look for work.
    Very true as like all countries we have those who think the country owes them a living and perfer the Dole to work.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was at one time talk of doing similar that is done in South Africa, but i have not heard anymore on this??

In SA you are allowed on the Dole for only Six Months at a time, after the Six Months you either have to work or Drown!

Then again you must apply for the Dole and so on!
    This has helped a lot, as there are so many that now know if they dont work for that period they will be on the Streets with Zilch!

I believe their are certain circumstances where one can get through without doing this,but the Rules are very strict!

Of course people over certain ages and those with Disabilities etc are not included!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc you certainly did make the right decision because this country now is not the one I was brought up to believe I was lucky to be in compared to others. That is why when my son was given the opportunity to go to Oz I told him to grab it and get the hell out of this place even though it meant we would miss our grand children of two and four years of age they are now thriving and the children even speak Oz. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WE hear many stories of dole bludgers; and I agree there are families who have never worked in their lives, BUT. When I went to work on the Sydney Waterboard I met a truck driver who told me his tale of being on the dole. He got the sack as his boss was packing it in, he said that's OK I'll get a job, two months later he was telling himself don't worry I get something six months later he was drinking, after about twelve months he got a job with us on the Board. Unfortunately for him three months later the Water Board sacked 3,000 men as they were going to contract out all their work. So; though there are many who don't want to work; we have to be careful who we call a dole bludger.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Des not all ae bludgers.
    But there are some who even with a job do not do a fair days work.
    I knew a guy when at the UNi, he was in the print room and shop steward, never did a days work at all.
    Knew all the rules and how not to work.

Like many big cities we have our rough sleepers who spend the day begging.
    One was interviewed a couple of weeks ago for a radio station.
    He claimed he was taking as much as $1500 per week by begging, so many felt sorry for him.
    They are all around us.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2