Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexuality

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sexuality

Well Rodders I entered the world the year you were in Yorkshire.
    We were also sent away up to East Bolden in County Durham.
    But the day I entered some bloody Gerry bomber dropped on eon the railway station about half a mile from the hospital.
    Some welcome that was
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Denis O'Shea, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perusing the few well written, but distressing posts entered into this topic makes me realize how fortunate I was in having had a happy upbringing with loving parents and aunts and uncles.
    I too, remember the drone of the German bomber's engines passing over our village on their way to bomb and raise to the ground the whole town of Clydebank.

Regards from
    Fouro.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all have different experiences in life, in my case with my mother was not good, but i married a lovely wife, the youngest of five, and from a fabulous family. My mother in law was a really lovely women, and father in law was also brilliant, so i got a second family chance, and one much much better, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could takeout various pieces of these posts and find a match with my own. So I would think everyone could agree with certain aspects as to applying to them.all. I only had one bug bear , as my own parents brought me up to.their own morals up to going out into the world on my own. Although I must have caused them anguish by leaving home at an early age like most on this site , they managed to keep it mostly hidden. My in laws after marriage although by the standards of the day were good people had to my way of thinking had too much hold on their daughter, and were delighted on our first born which followed in line with their own history., on the second being born I could sense the worry they were feeling as was going astray from their chosen way of life. Being in the profession of going to sea and long separations every time I went home I felt my place was. being unsurped i by the wife’s parents as they were never away out of sight of the kids and making
    all the decisions for their grandchildren and were never away from the house for the short times I was home, so my own closeness with my kids suffered. It was good that they were there when I was away , but felt they should have made themselves scarce when I was home. I think a lot of seamen May have undergone this problem. My only wish that going to sea in those earlier days. Could have been a bit more conducive to married life. There is always a price to pay. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st July 2020 at 01:14 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its the main reason i gave the sea up John, i was used to tramp ships, and the thought of going to work on the liners or whatever decided me. I was on a day course at West Ham fire station, all part of my ABs ticket some years before, and the guy taking the course said that the fire service always looked for seamen, tradesmen or forces to recruit, he stated that London fire brigade would have snapped up the whole room of us, that stayed in my mind, and when i swallowed the anchor, that s what i did, only not London, but Hampshire, best decision i ever made, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#28.. I think going to sea was always a love/hate relationship , which usually reached a peak in ones early 40s. And like a woman who goes through her change of life a seaman went through his own similar msnstuous period , as that is when one woke up to all that had been lost and wondering how life could have been different if had tried harder . Was when self doubt and depression if you were susceptible to such would set in. To counteract this one would always come up with the good times andtend ro forget the bad ones, which were numerous.when shipping took a down hill slide as it did and iis still doing so , a lot saw the shipowners as performing an act of treachery , which in a lot of cases it was ,and combined with the government policy at the time made it 10 times worse. The sea apart from all the talk wasa source of livelihood for tens of thousands giving away voluntary by people who didn’t care, and had given their lives to . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some interesting and open posts here guys. My own story has similarities as I left home at an early age, there was some unhappiness as I lost my Mum at the ripe old age of four. Father married again and I never felt the same about it all. Now in older years, and plenty of time to think of days gone it was in all probability my young "wildness" which also contributed to the path taken. The sea was an easy option, no more being told what to do and when you were; you accepted in the main. I was extremely fortunate in meeting a wonderful gal in Edinburgh almost fifty years ago. A young training nurse and me doing an engine room familiarisation course at Leith nautical. We married almost forty-seven years ago and are still happily together. We have seen some tough times (lost our sixteen-year-old daughter) some twenty-seven years ago, instead of pulling us apart made us even stronger. We are "soul mates" and always have been, so blessed to get it right first time.
    R 800658 Kn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    Perusing the few well written, but distressing posts entered into this topic makes me realize how fortunate I was in having had a happy upbringing with loving parents and aunts and uncles.
    I too, remember the drone of the German bomber's engines passing over our village on their way to bomb and raise to the ground the whole town of Clydebank.

Regards from
    Fouro.
    This post is so obviously out of place in this topic.
    Looks like I blundered in mentioning the fact that I had a happy upbringing.

Fouro.

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Simalarities with me too on some of these replies, however in the main i was a Happy chappy and had thankfully a good and mostly happy upbringing, i say mainly as of course like many there were the bad times in life.
    My Dad left us when we were still quite Young, as the Marriage was not working , but it was a good break no bad feelings, he went off to the UK at that time but returned to Cape Town later, but sadly passed on just after his Retirement age.

Mum kept on battling along but always so strong, and we were not short of most anything. She then met a nice Scotsman called Jock (very appropriate) Livingstone who was a really good Chap and we got on very well with him.

Sadly though when Mum passed on Jock decided he wanted to return to his Scotland ,and we lost all contact with him.

Anyway to go on from there i met my Third Wife (Present one ) who was the Third Eldest of Nine Kids 6 Girls and three Boys, and i was i know indeed so lucky as she has turned out to be the Queen of then all.
    Now some 53 Years on and still going strong, we have come a long way, her indoors taking everything in her stride with my past, and not caring what was then.

Her Parents Dad as i called him ( Edwin) and Mum as well (Olive) were like real Parents to me and Oh i loved them both so very much, i really had two Families !

So thats it in a nutshell, much more to tell of course but!

Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd July 2020 at 06:38 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As said my mum was divorced when I was only five.
    It was a tough time at the end of the war but I had good aunts and uncles who looked out for me, had it not been for them I do not know how mum would have managed.
    The only income she had was some 5pounds a month for me, went out scrubbing floors at two shillings and six pence a time.
    But she cared for me and we had a very strong bond.
    But then she met the man who became my dad and never looked back.

But then I went to sea, that caused her more problems, she was a total mess, according to my sister, watching me leave home.
    Dad had to comfort here, but maybe did too good a job as 9 months later my younger brother arrived.

Life can throw some very odd balls at times.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast