Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Languages

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Languages

English (spoken) is the common language of both the sea and airline industry. But how it is spoken varies widely and that's before you take into account regional and local dialects.
    An British person abroad will speak slowly and loudly in order that Johnny foreigner can understand us.
    Americans think they speak English but as they cannot even spell correctly how can they claim to? Plus there are huge number of young Americans who speak a language that only they understand, think rap music
    Italians are very voluble but need to wave their hands around wildly in or order to make any and all understand them.
    The French consider their language to be not only the language of lurrrve but also superior to English, having invaded in 1066. Try standing next to a French person for 5 minutes! You will almost be knocked out by the desk of garlic and onions, plus their women are very hirsute in certain body areas.
    Greeks tend to speak softly until someone queries their thoughts, then they can be heard halfway to the next town.
    Indians speak rapidly and in a barking tone when speaking to a lower caste person or a female.
    Mexicans, when awake speak slowly
    Chinese, have not the foggiest as only Chinese can understand Chinese but they are very pound when gambling
    Australians, although they do base there language on English have invented whole new words and phrases the like of which only they understand.
    New Zealanders speak in a way very similar to some of our local accents here, think a Brummie trying to understand a Geordie.
    Canadians, now apart from Quebec, which for some strange unknown reason, has a language that somewhat resembles schoolboy french, the rest of the country speaks good and understanding English.
    South Africans speak English of sorts but in a clipped manner and "boy" precedes and ends most sentences.
    I could go on but howay man, youse nose what I'm tarking aboot, dinnae yee
    Rgds
    JA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Languages

Aye I ken what yer mean but me Xxxxx too wee. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    English (spoken) is the common language of both the sea and airline industry. But how it is spoken varies widely and that's before you take into account regional and local dialects.

I could go on but howay man, youse nose what I'm tarking aboot, dinnae yee
    Rgds
    JA.
    spelling correction John, its DIVVENT
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th July 2020 at 11:14 PM.

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I joined trawlers at 13, I learnt a whole new language which if I had used at home would have got my head knocked off. At 16 I joined PSNC so had to learn scouse, when I joined Ropners I had to learn Geordie, then to compound matters I had to listen to my father who was Irish, my late first wife was Irish, and then they say we English have no language skills!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Reminds me of the American couple on holiday traveling through Wales:

On their way they see a sign for a place called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch and decide to head there for something to eat. As they make their way there they debate the pronunciation of the town’s name.

They stop for lunch and one tourist asks the cashier, “Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us?” The Cashier nods.

“Would you please pronounce where we are for us – very slowly?”

The cashier leans over the counter and says, “Buurrrrgerrrrr Kinnnnggg.”

7. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 I nar e nar
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th July 2020 at 01:18 AM.
    R575129

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now listen her cobber we do not speak any different to you lot so don't come the raw prawn with me mate.
    Now get of your ass, go the fridge and get me a cold one, fire up the Barbie and get some snags on there.
    You can chuck a couple of bits of chook as well and when the Barbie is over we can stretch out with a cold one just like lizard drinking.

And don't say just because she shot through like a bondi tram the one with big knockers wont come!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Tony Taylor, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Sounds like a black eye from
    the Sheila time ?

K.

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Donna's, that's the Scottish bit coming through
    #7, I rest my case m my lord
    Rgds
    J.A.

15. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John re #2.

Americans are improving the spelling, If George Bernard Shaw (Yes I know he was born in Dublin, but he was British) noted world famous British author, who wrote the following about your spelling:

"Ghoti" = "Fish" | EnglishClub
    https://www.englishclub.com/esl-articles/199909.htm
    The answer is "fish". How can "ghoti" and "fish" sound the same? gh = f as in rouGH; o = i as in wOmen; ti = sh as in naTIon; Of course, this is a joke*. The word "ghoti" is not even a real word. But it shows the inconsistency of English spelling. It is very important to understand that English spelling and English pronunciation are not always the same.

I agree, we should not call it English here, it's American. Our schools and universities should really do it, and finally say we speak American. The youths, coming up today, are into rap as my generation (in England) was into Rock and Roll, Blue Jeans, with big cuffs, T shirts, DA haircuts, bubble gum and any thing that hinted of America. Oh and don't forget the Cunard yanks, who magically picked up a Yankee accent in 36hrs in New York. They caught it in the clothing store just outside the dock gate, so they could impress the "broads" when the got home.

I catch it from both ends, p@#$ taking from me bruvver in England, and when I go out here (pre-virus days) at least once a day some one says "I just love your accent, where are you from?"

Depending on the mood I'm in, I'll answer "South Carolina" or tell them "I'm from Boston, Massachusetts." When they question it, ask them "If they'd heard of the Boston Irish?" and they answer "Yes". Then I tell them "I'm Boston English." It seems to work.

Yes we should start saying we speak and teach and write American, within 25 years it will be the universal language. It wont take long for the worlds youth to catch on to speaking American.

Rodney

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast