Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: From a yank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: From a yank

When China a few years ago tried and did restrict population growth there was a storm of approbation. In their eyes that was one way of stemming the use of co2 . However you can’t please everyone . Think the way to do it is we all go gay. That would suit at least half the population anyway . Maybe just shoot the straight ones to make sure. Maybe this new virus is to make people sterille but went wrong. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, #3

I've been to N.Z. 5 times. The first time my late wife and I spent a month there touring both Island and we saw all the sights. My late middle son Andrew lived in NZ for eight years. He jumped ship there without the ship. lived and worked there illiegally. We would stop by and visit him and go diving together. So I've seen plenty in N.Z. from a tourist point of view and living with my son and doing the shopping and living of the local economy. However, it's nice, but too small for me. I get "Rock fever", the Hawaiian Islands are the same too. Plus I too found the New Zealanders more like the English, to me reserved and a bit standoffish. I found the "Ozzies" more like "yanks", greet you with a big hello "G'day" and your off to the races.

Some one once said if you hung a hat on a fence post in Oz and walked away and watched, pretty soon some cobber would come up to it and have a yarn for an hour or so.

My wife and I would pull into a camp ground, and before I had the awning on our camper pegged up, or the wife had unpacked the tucker, the guy and his Sheila in the nearest camp spot was over with a tinny, giving me a hand and his missis helping mine and we knew their life story and how long they'd been on the road and we've got to drop in when we ultimately passed through their home town. Loved it!

Keith from Wales.

I use the word yanks to connect to the title of this thread. The South stopped fighting the "War of Northern Aggression" as it is termed in the South, years ago. With the exceptions of the minority "Red Necks". Honestly, I cannot remember the war between the States ever being mentioned in conversation and that's over twenty odd years living in the South.

Finally, I consider myself a Californian, that's where I became one and a US citizen, they're not yanks either, it was my home for years. It was my career and for advancement that I moved out of Southern California and after our travels, my wife wanted to live within a reasonable distance to visit her mother, which was fine by me, she was a lovely lady.

I do not know where I will end up. I don't much like the town I live in now, but common sense tells me I shouldn't do any major moves for a bit, but let a bit of time scar up my broken heart.

I've always loved Sodona, in Arizona, Look it up on the internet and you'll see why. I can imagine sitting out on a balcony of an evening with a drink and watching the sun go down over the mountains...We'll see.

Cheers, Rodney

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No offence meant there Rodney, just obviously a likening for different parts of the world, i could never take to Australia, but fell in love with NZ, as for opening a can of beer and watch the sun go down, i do that on a regular basis right here on a lovely Isle of Wight, i am still classed as an *overner* here, even after 44 years, but this is where my old bones will rest, to be happy with where you live is the main thing, regards kt
    R689823

Keith at Tregenna Guest

#13:

Some do take offence hence elsewhere wondered:
    Many in the Celtic countries of GB, would not take
    kindly to being called Londoners or English as some
    tourist do. Worked with many that were Sardinian
    or Venetian, to them not Italian. The list goes on
    and on hence, wondered as said.

Keith.

6. Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rod
    Sad as your post is to me, I hope you find your Sodona where you can sit in the evenings and dream the dream.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    When China a few years ago tried and did restrict population growth there was a storm of approbation. In their eyes that was one way of stemming the use of co2 . However you can’t please everyone . Think the way to do it is we all go gay. That would suit at least half the population anyway . Maybe just shoot the straight ones to make sure. Maybe this new virus is to make people sterille but went wrong. Cheers JS
    John, the interesting part of that is the one child policy only applied to those living in the cities.
    Those in the country were not effected as they were needed to continue with the farming, much of which feeds the city people.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith in I.o.W.

I wasn't offended mate, how could I, I'm descended from Islanders too.

I told you my great grandfather left the Island for the bright lights of London. I traced his/my connections back to the 1500s. Well I found another branch with connections to the Island and one of the famous buildings there:

I stumbled on a connection that led me back to William the Conqueror and a slew of Norman great grandparents (G.G.F and G.G.M.). Currently I have confirmed nine who fought in the battle of Hastings and five who stayed in Normandy watching the rear for William and then came over to England.

William the C. executed or chased into exile most of the Anglo-Saxon land holders and shoveled out their titles and land to all his buddies that helped him. One was a 32nd G.G.F. Guilliam (William) FitzOsben 1020-1070 Lord of Breteuvil in Normady who fought at Hastings and was given command of S.E. England and Wales to subjugate which he did. He was made Earl of Hereford and given four other Earldoms and "Lord Of the Isle of Wight". While there he had Carisbrooke Castle built as a safety factor against invasion from France.. His son, named Richard de Vernon de Redvers, c1045-1107 and wife a g.g.m., Adeliza de Peverell 1069-1107. spent years living in the castle and Adeliza died and was buried in Carisbrooke, I would suspect at Carisbrooke Priory.

Six further generations of the family resided all or part of the time at the Castle and the last, Isabella de Fortibus de Redvers, a 26th great great aunt, inherited the castle, lands and the wealth of her brother Baldwin de Vernon de Reviers (26th g.g.f.) who died without heirs and she became the richest woman in England. She rebuilt part of the castle for her personal use and lived there for many years. When she died, the crown claimed the castle and land and has been crown property ever since.

It's really funny, all this came from my 6th great grandmother Fanny Sanders from Devon, who was poor as a church mouse and died a pauper. It took me years to find her family name Saunders, All available documents listed her as Morrish, after years of searching, I found it was her married name, her name was Saunders and she married a great Grandfather of mine, Philip Morrish who was linked to the Moses family line of the Isle of Wight.

I searched documents from all women with the name Fanny in the devon region and finally found her.

She has led all the way to King William 1st, Henry 1st of England. King Henry of France, the King of Wales, King Brian Boru of Ireland, and almost all the Kings of Scotland (a murderous lot), all from five or six Normans who settled in the South of England and intermarried or traded off daughters for land or more title for the family and amongst themselves for over three hundred years.

Strange, it jumped from I.o.W. to Devon to Normandy and then back to the I.o.W..

I'm not and never have been a royalist. And couldn't accept that pauper Fanny led to that lot. I double and triple checked all the documentation. It was all true, well documented. The line went slowly into the toilet by being born the eighth child and inheriting the crumbs, to wastrels who lost the lands and wealth. It was all well documented and I have five three inch binders full of copies of the family information and four of them were generated by dear old Fanny.

I just thought you must be familiar with the castle and might find this rambling of interest..

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney, thanks for that info, you are more of an Islander than i am !!. Interesting that some 20 years ago we got into an argument with the Island Council, who kicked a lot of winter layup spaces for yachts in Newport harbour, the harbour today is purely for leisure craft, but last century was a lifeline to the Island via barges etc. We looked at the history of the harbour, and foiund it was gifted to the people of Newport by Isabel de Fortus, we fought hard to keep it as a harbour for leisure craft, and using Isabel we won to a small degree. Like most places today the Council wanted to develop it for housing. The battle is still ongoing alas, all the best Rodney, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2