Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Would it be worthy of a heaving line

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Would it be worthy of a heaving line

The nearest to any sort of action was last year with may Angiogram.
    Just before they pull out the wire they give you a hot flush.
    Brought back some wonderful memories but only lasted about tree seconds
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They did also warn me and my only though was this.
    If that is what a hot flush is like why do the ladies complain about them?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#25. John there are different kinds, Royal Flush, straight flush, just think of them as red hot poker hands.’JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th April 2020 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always remember signing on the Paiko PSNC, Here in L,Pool go and put your name on a bunk the mate said only two of you signed thus far, Went down to the seaman's alleyway took a look around and picked a double cabin no single cabins aboard her, As i started un packing my kit bag i noticed bundles of clothes in pillow cases Started going threw them thinking they where the last guy to use the cabin, With that a lady of the night walked into the cabin what are you doing going threw my stuff she said this is my cabin, OHHHHHHHHHH No it isn't sweet thing a hew crew signing your paying of once your dressed she still had a towel around her after a shower, No No she said there is 3 of us where going around the land with you lads we might come in handy { WINK } I just burst out laughing does the skipper and the mate know about this, Why what difference will that make in fact put us ashore and both of them wont be very happy with you. They where aboard for nearly 4 weeks while we Discharged and loaded cargo Liverpool/ Glasgow/ London/ And back to Liverpool. Happy Days Lads Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a post on here that was deleted by Vernon that I wanted to answer to. Keith posted a piece about the 1million 600 Seamen today that was in a UK newspaper. The part I was stunned at was some one, I think the navigating officer had spent four months away, which he described as a long time? jees I've spent longer on a wave.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des when I joined the Maratha Endeavour in Philadelphia in 1968 the crew were Chinese and the midship crowd all British, the midship crowd had been there over 2 years as the 2 years had run out in Japan and as she was running from Japan to the Eastern Seaboard with steel cargoes for up the Lakes they had reopened new articles on the understanding that coming back out of the lakes those who wanted. Would be paid off and sent home.so to most of them the voyage was over 2 years and 3 months. This worked out ok as believe it or not suited most of them. Must point out also this vessel was on Hong Kong Articles Indian owned and under the Nassau flag. It suited those for various reasons one was for tax purposes , most were single men having a great time, the one married one was there to get a poor mans divorce, as after 2 years absence it was considered desertion and almost automatic if desired. I always stipulated 12 months maximum as married and didn’t want a poor mans divorce, however the ship was a home from home and had the wife across at one time on the continent and even I did over 13 months on mutual agreement and the next Chowgule ship.just over 12 months.The crowd who had done over 2 years were replaced by Indian officers when they did go . So for most of my time there was 3 Europeans , Indian Officers and Chinese crew. Plus long trips.The old man that was there had been so for over 6 years and been home once in that time. I reckon he made a lot of money during the Korean War working for the same owners running War materials for the US between Moji and South Korea.. cheers JS. Cheers
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th April 2020 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria #26, is that what they mean when they say,
    'She was a hot bit of stuff' LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, this may show you just what we had to go through as seamen, not always easy.

Mr. Dillon!

Cape Town, city of wonders, wineries, women and the occasional bit of black ham. Also the city that Ginger got into so much strife often including me. We were homeward bound and he informed me that he would be meeting this 'lady' on the quayside later in the day and she was a hot date. He also indicated that she would have a friend with her. Very nice I told him, but I already had my own date for tonight but was not meeting until after eight. But I agreed with Ginger to go with him to the quay side and see the friend.

Not being our day off we did not get finish work until about six, dressed a bit schmick we set out for the night. Down on the quayside I saw two ladies standing, then waving, must be Gingers two I thought. As we got a bit closer I began to wonder just what was going down here. One of them, the one Ginger had for the date was drop dead gorgeous. Slim with long break your back legs, long auburn hair, eyes that sparkled, and nails so long they would make a lion in the jungle jealous. No doubt Ginger had great hopes of getting his leg over with this one. Her friend however, had she been brought along for me I pondered, was something totally different. She was short and in a word, rotund, today she may have been called just plain fat. But much worse the poor lass had a pronounced limp, and believe me there was no other way to pronounce it but L I M P. She reminded me of Chester in Gunsmoke except she did not try to run along shouting, 'Mr. Dillon'...

At the suggestion of the glamorous one we took a taxi to the Manchester Hotel, not far from the Grand but a much more subdued establishment. In the elevator up to the second level where the dinning room and bar were. I had been there on a number of previous occasions to eat with my young lady of the day, well you had to get them in the mood somehow!

We sat in the lounge waiting to be served when the young lady with Ginger announced that she and he had plans for the evening and would I mind if the rotund friend spent the evening with me? Spend it with me? You must be joking, I was not that desperate and anyway I had my own date to see. But somehow my chivalrous self came to the fore declaring that of course I would spend the evening with her. She thanked me and we continued talking and drinking for another thirty minutes or so. Then it was time for Ginger and his lady to leave, suddenly I felt a cold sweat coming on.

They went and there was I sitting like a stunned Mullet with this rotund little lady. My mind began working overtime, how was I to get out of this one? Bloody Ginger I thought, wait until I see him in the morning, is he in for it? Another drink while I sat and pondered on what to do, how to make my escape? Then it came to me, the toilet, of course the toilet was my escape route. The toilet was situated on the ground floor just inside the lobby, that would be my way out. You must excuse me I said but I have urgent need of the toilet, will be back soon. I took the elevator to the ground floor and in a way felt a bit sorry for this young lady, not her fault she was in this situation anymore than was her shape or the limp. Me feeling sorry, pull yourself together I told myself, you have a good looking piece waiting for you up by Adderley Street station.

Might as well make use of the toilet before I go, I thought to myself and made a swift release in there. Opened the door to leave and just in time noticed my rotund friend standing in the lobby. What the hell is she doing here I wondered, I told her I would be back. Maybe she was smarter than I thought. Thankfully she had her back to the toilet so at this point I had not been seen, but how am I going to get out of this one? Another fine mess you got me into Ginger. Wait a few moments and the door opens as some other guy comes in, the door open just enough for me to see she is still there. My mind was spinning, how to get out, could climb out the toilet window, but no it may be a bit too small and what is the other side? Nothing for it I have to make a run for it. One other guy was making for the door, this is my chance, I will go with him and maybe she will not see me as I leave. Up close behind him I stood as he opened the door, she was still there but half turned from me. In a flash I was out the door and across the lobby, down the two steps and time to run. Not so fast young man, she has seen you, and she is after you. Glancing over my shoulder I saw her running, as best she could, and calling out, 'wait for me".

I was off, shot through like a Bondi tram, no time for sentiment now I had a date to meet. The night was great, but for most of it I constantly looked over my shoulder expecting any minute to see her, what a nightmare. But that was not the end of it. Next morning the chef called me into his office wanting to know what I had done to the young lady chasing me down the street? He had seen the incident and was convinced that knowing me as he did I was up to no good.
    'Well chef all I can say is it is a case of mistaken identity'
    He looked at me in what may have Been misconstrued as a fatherly manner but I knew better.
    But that was not the end of it. The following morning Ginger told me his girl friend had ditched him, what your friend did was terrible, she told him, and I do not want to see you again. Somehow I think the feeling was mutual.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Beauty is only skin deep John. Better of with the homily one. JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing to do with the sexes but what one can say and otherwise should be careful at times . I was sitting in a bar in Milwaukee when this US coastguardsman came in and started talking, I happened to say “ Is that right you have to be 6 feet tall to join the Coastguard ?”. “ Why is that man ? “ he says, so being what I thought was smart said “ So if the ship sinks you can walk ashore” , He started to get off his stool, he was over 6 feet , and discretion being the better part of valour , I decided to go to the toilet and hence out the exit door and go to another bar.
    Now if that had been a female saying that she would have got away with, this equality of the sexes only applies in certain cases. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th April 2020 at 03:25 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast