Thread: Floating cranes that we knew.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floating cranes that we knew.

Seeing the current Quiz on Cranes reminded me of the old floating cranes that we knew. I live on top of the Thames Estuary
    and if the weather's permitting I love to walk along the seafront and at times may see anything from a fishing boat from Leigh to
    a giant container ship from China but sadly nothing remotely like the ships we used to know. About five weeks ago I saw a
    Floating Crane coming from the direction of the North sea and chugging up the river towards Tilbury, the crane was very much
    as I remembered the old London Mammoth to be also about the same size, for me it was a wonderful sight bringing memories of
    seeing the Mammoth coming through the Royal Docks with a huge cylindrical boiler dangling from its Jib, on its way to load as
    deck cargo on another ship further along. We've all seen these cranes in different ports around the world, what a wonderful life
    we had and the sights we've seen but didn't put the importance on until our later years when we had the time to reminisce. Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Floating cranes that we knew.

You may like to see this video of the wreck of the Samson Floating crane. She was being towed from Liverpool to new owners in Malta when the tow broke and she ran aground becoming a CTL. There is also a photo of what she looked like prior to being lost.

https://youtu.be/JEuhVs2_O2A
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 8th April 2020 at 03:43 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    It was the Mammoth that loaded a train down no two hatch on the Trevose, we had to break out the jumbo in Freemantle to unload it, that was a heavy but very welcome addition for a Jos's learning curve in seamanship
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des, after my leave I returned to MV Orari at Avonmouth to sign on for my second trip, I was still 16 but felt a little more worldly than
    the first time around. The first thing I saw on the deck outside of where my cabin was a railway engine, I've got a photo of me sitting on
    it, another interesting cargo on that trip was sections of the new Auckland harbour bridge, it was painted in orange colour with the sections
    numbered in stencilled white paint, it would have been interesting to see the bridge being assembled and finally take shape but I never got
    to see that side of it, I used to love watching the cargo being loaded and unloaded with all the sounds and aromas of the docks, great memories, cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI John.
    You will be pleased to know that many ex seamen worked as riggers on that bridge.
    Des

6. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes John F Collier, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i worked with mammoth on the old liverpool landing stage we rigged all the booms and walkways 75/6 jp