Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Health and Safety at Work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Health and Safety at Work

Do any of you recall the fire fighting exercise at the Vindi?

Had to crawl along a straw tunnel while smoke was being pumped in to it.
    Came out coughing you guts up but still none the wiser about fire fighting.

Working in a retirement village we were given a one hour course on fire fighting using an extinguisher, fat lot of use if you are attempting to get the residents to safety.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Bob Dunkley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That will teach you for being NOSY
    Des

4. Likes happy daze john in oz, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des you would have compassion on my nose if you saw the battering it has received over the years. If had a choice of which of the 7 dwarfs would like to be would choose Dozey not nosey Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th April 2020 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards Safety Gear , the first I can ever remember being supplied by the shipowner was a pair of gardening type gloves to use with the electric chipping hammer and a pair of chipping goggles. It was a long interval before safety boots , wet weather gear, overalls appeared on the scene. With crews flying out abroad to join ships , some bean counter must have worked out the profit and loss as to excess luggage as against buying such gear to stay on the vessel. Long before British crews were supplied , Lascar crews were always supplied with cold weather gear, socks gloves sweaters and duffle coats.. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th April 2020 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did all my fire fighting.! Courses in shields, they have a three story steel mock up accommodation with vertical ladders and small access hatches along with normal stairways and the top two decks divided into cabin spaces. One the 5 day advanced fire course it covered foremost management techniques, such as running an entry and exit time board. The course was divided into two groups, one group would spend the morning being taught equipment maintenance and management techniques whilst the other carried out a fire and rescue exercise in the mock up, swapping around in the afternoon. Over the 5 day period all of us would spend around 15 hours in B.A. sets fighting fires of carrying out a rescue from enclosed space that was under fire. Bloody exhausted at the end of every day.
    Many moons ago I attended one of the first safety officer course, held at warshash and run by an ex panocean captain. It was held in an annex to the main college and had its own on site catering and bar, run by a stunning blonde pass, who ripped the back off my mate during a night of passion. The course was interesting even covering such items of profiling crew in order to get the best make up of thinkers and doers for a good safety committee.
    At sea safety committee meetings could be farcical, especially with mixed nationality crews and company health, safety and environmental procedures could be onerous to maintain the training schedule required in addition to the required statutory fire and boat drills. The manuals covering health and safety covered everything from the different fires that could be encountered, personnel injury, pirate attack, bombs on board etc. up to 100 different scenarios we were expected to train for.
    Rgds
    J.A.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did one of a few fire courses at South Shields fire station. Consisted of a tin shed enclosing an oil fire started by someone with a torturous mind. Were told not to touch the bulkhead as they were electrified, There was a dummy inside whic had to bring out. Went in in pairs armed with a fire rake and extinguisher. The bloke I went in with after having to be prodded in by the station officer with his staff , had it worked out, when the door closed we stayed put and pulled the safety line in and slacked off as necessary. Hammered on the door after 10 minutes and crawled out and said we couldn’t find the body. The tunnel one though was the worse the bloke crawling in front of me panicked and froze . He must have had a sore ass when he finally climbed out with me practically hanging out of him. Js
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th April 2020 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Health and Safety at Work

John S, I know I'm in the wrong thread, (couldn't find the right one) but we were talking about fire fighting courses in Plymouth, I have found the letter from City of Plymouth Fire Brigade and the letter of thanks for the plans I presented to them was signed by Chief Fire Officer Ralph Havery on 25th February 1972. I had attended an intense course earlier that month and they put me trough hell being a Supt, so that I could pass on knowledge gained to anyone in our fleet who couldn't attend. It was a useful course and paid dividends on a fire I had to fight on a ship in Dubai, and on other occasions.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 22nd April 2020 at 03:55 PM.

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bloke I knew Ivan was John Fiddaman in 1976 he would of been a man in his 70s , and had been retired for some time. Even so at that time he had a part time job checking most of the big stores in Newcastle for their fire certificates. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 22nd April 2020 at 03:56 PM.

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The need for equipment and suitable coverings has come to light with the Virus.
    How can any country be so short of what would be considered basic requirements.

Like UK we were short of masks and had to aquire about 1 million from somewhere overseas, China maybe?

There was a time when we had plenty of them here, but that was way back in the time of the Bush rangers and every self sufficient crook had a good supply.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Tony Taylor, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#29 Why are we so short of stocks, blame J I T (Just In Time) a policy instituted by Labour in the NHS and also major businesses where-in a system of not stocking too much of anything because by the time it became to be used it will have passed its expiry date. It was first introduced in the car industry to streamline their production lines as with the advent of computerisation it did not take as long to design new models and when they were introduced into the market, they found they had £millions of useless stocks, so JIT together with modern transport and supply chains seemed a sensible solution, but everyone jumped on the JIT bandwagon, but it just goes to show that one size doesn't fit all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast