Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand volcano eruption

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Zealand volcano eruption

The volcano on white island in the bay of plenty in New Zealand suddenly erupted yesterday. At least 5 people who were standing on the craters edge at the time of the eruption have been confirmed dead and amongst the other visitors at the time were some passengers from a RCL cruise liner visiting the bay of plenty. Apparently the volcano had shown signs of erupting for some days previously.
    Not the best shore excursion for those passengers.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Zealand volcano eruption

Reports in recent times have indicated increasing activity and I am surprised that it was still being visited. I have been there two or three times and am still amazed at what nature is capable of throwing at us humans !! Regards, Peter in NZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Passed it many times going into Tauranga sometimes with smoke coming out . As Peter says surprised that they let people ashore when there was activity showing, someone made a rickets, Complacency maybe
    Des

4. Thanks Mike Hall, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest at 1625 EST.

There are five confirmed dead, three Australians, with eight still unaccounted for. Including a family from Adelaide.
    The governing body claim that there are no living persons left on the island.

This Volcano is a partially submerged one, only the peak is above water level.

A company runs a ferry service there for tourists, it is an island that during the season attracts many.

A Royal Caribbean cruise ship berthed and a few of the passengers took a shore trip, private not shipping company, to view the island Volcano.

Two days ago a report said the Volcano was rumbling and beginning to showings of activity, it does from time to time erupt quite violently, as aresult a level four was put on the site.
    Level five means no one may go to the island, four tells it is considered to b eof great danger to do so.

Despite the warning the tourist company decided to still go with some 24 persons in the group.

Of that number 13 are in hospital, 5 confirmed dead the remaining 6 unaccounted for.

The local police have now begun criminal proceedings, assumably against the tour operator, and to make matters worse there has been an earthquake close by.
    The rives in the West of the South island have broken their banks brining some rail travel to a halt as some of the bank side of the ravines ahs collapsed.

Having been in an earth quake in NZ I know there is very little indication that such will occur, and it is quite disturbing to be in one, but when you are told there is possible danger but ignore the warnings then you area complete idiot.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We as seamen have faced the wrath of mother nature, it was our profession, but for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to walk around the rim or inside a smoking volcano, but each to his/her/etc etc own

7. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In March I will be on the Big Island of Hawaii again to see Kilauea, that is the big one and also Mauna Loa. last week the inside of Kilauea collapsed and more Lava poured out into the ocean..
    It is an incredible sight.
    BUT THIS TIME WILL EXERCISE A LITTLE MORE CAUTION.
    Brian

9. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan.
    As I said in a previous post I have been past and anchored by White island many times, and most times there was smoke coming out, now there is no way on this earth that i would step on to it, let alone go down to the crater lake , unfortunately people are lied to believe, and no doubt the tourist people told them it was safe, but don't these people have a brain, they knew what happened in Christchurch, and that with some warning. When I lived there we left Christchurch as we were fed up with tremors all the time, didn't need telling.
    \Des

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some good news, one of the missing from Adelaide has been found in hospital, but there has been another death.
    Some of the badly burned being brought here to Oz, and six ash covered bodies have been spotted from the air.
    A very say time for so many.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two bodies of young brothers 13 and 16 have been found. In the prime of life, sad.
    Des

15. Thanks Doc Vernon, Peter F Chard thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some have been airlifted to hospitals here in Melbourne, but the burns are so bad one wonders how they will go.

Police will make an attempt to remove six bodies from the island, but there is severe risk of further eruptions so they will make a minute by minute decision on this one.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast