Thread: Modern eye sores

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Modern eye sores

Watching a video sent by a member yesterday.

It was of a Drone flying over Italian cities.

It showed some of the wonders of a time long gone, The Colosseum, Leaning Tower of Pizza, Churches and Cathedrals built many centuries past, the wonders of Venice with St Marks Square. The wonderful countryside, small villages so neatly laid out, lakes and rivers meandering across the land.

The architecture of yesteryear is so superior to anything that modern man can produce, architecture that has stood the test of time.

I recall on my last visit to London in July sailing down the Thames to Greenwhich on a tour boat. Looking at the architecture there, the Tower Of London built back in the 1070's onwards, St Pauls Cathedral, Greenwhich buildings also the work of Sir C. Wren and many others.

I compared them to the modern day architecture, the Shard, the Cheese Grater as it is known and many of the modern day buildings.
    None have character or will stand the test of time, and in cities all around the nation buildings of time spast still standing while surrounded by some of the most hideous buildings ever conceived by man.

Yes times change as do designs but for me the old one will always appeal far beyond any thing modern man can produce.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Modern eye sores

Make you right there John.
    One building called (the mobile phone) was melting things on the pavement by reflecting the suns rays from its glass frontage.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with you johno...But I have to wonder, are we in a generation trap, a pair of old F@$%s?.

Was there an uproar when someone noticed that the Tower of Pisa, looked a little off center and found it's foundations and subsurface inadequate?. Today millions travel miles to see this oddity.

When the Empire State building was completed it met disapproval and ridicule, and it took an oversized ape and a gorgeous blond Fay ray to earn it's acceptance.

I met and had dinner twice with Ms. Fay Ray and her husband. The first time at political fundraiser, my ex and I and she and her husband were seated next to each other, and she loved my accent and Britain, and in the course of the evening we found out that the next day (Sept 15th) was both our birthadays. Though she was thirty years older than me she was still lovely and no way the dumb blonde. Her husband called about a month later and invited us to dinner, again a lovely evening.

The Twin Towers in N.Y.C. were also scorned, and the "Flat Iron" building and many others ridiculed in their own time, now today praised for their visual "lines", or functionality, or just plain loved for their oddity, and add the outrage recorded at the time of the building of the Eiffel Tower.

I look at that big Ferris wheel in London and some of London's new buildings, to me they've destroyed a wonderful skyline, but probably not to locals and the younger generation.

Cheers, Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 2nd November 2019 at 07:11 PM.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Prince Charles years ago described a piece of modern architecture
    as: "like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved, elegant friend,"

K.

6. Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Watching a video sent by a member yesterday.

It was of a Drone flying over Italian cities.

It showed some of the wonders of a time long gone, The Colosseum, Leaning Tower of Pizza, Churches and Cathedrals built many centuries past, the wonders of Venice with St Marks Square. The wonderful countryside, small villages so neatly laid out, lakes and rivers meandering across the land.

The architecture of yesteryear is so superior to anything that modern man can produce, architecture that has stood the test of time.

I recall on my last visit to London in July sailing down the Thames to Greenwhich on a tour boat. Looking at the architecture there, the Tower Of London built back in the 1070's onwards, St Pauls Cathedral, Greenwhich buildings also the work of Sir C. Wren and many others.

I compared them to the modern day architecture, the Shard, the Cheese Grater as it is known and many of the modern day buildings.
    None have character or will stand the test of time, and in cities all around the nation buildings of time spast still standing while surrounded by some of the most hideous buildings ever conceived by man.

Yes times change as do designs but for me the old one will always appeal far beyond any thing modern man can produce.
    Spot on there John, I go down the Thames every year on the Waverly or Balmoral and sometimes do both, sadly this summer they are both
    out of service for repairs. To my mind the most beautiful architecture and craftsmanship is in the Cathedrals of England with their magnificent
    interiors the towering arches and ornate ceilings for me are awesome, as for the castle, it has to be Windsor with its St Georges chapel, such
    a beautiful building and roof. When you think of the tools the Master Masons and Master Carpenters had to work with and the height they
    worked at and having to rely on the scaffolding made from tree branches tied together with rope made from hemp must have been pretty
    daunting, to be able to create such intricate work in both stone and wood in those conditions to me means they were very special people,
    when you look at some the magnificent hammerhead roofs in buildings around the country you have to wonder how they did it in, can only
    think there must have been many accidents and deaths, no hard hats and rules in those days. Cheers

8. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of those skills are now long gone, the builders of yesteryear had skills many would now not understand.

One of our city cathedrals needed some stone work repairs a few years back.
    It took almost two years to find a couple of stone masons from Italy who knew how to fashion the pieces needed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The fire at Notre Dame was a dreadful disaster. ... will cost money, but it will also create good work and training opportunities for stonemasons.