Thread: Lost Skills

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lost Skills

On another posting talks of making Pilot adders etc. and how this has been replaced by modern technology.
    I watched an RN programme made at the RN base Plymouth, the programme showed them making a hawser, in the old days this would have been spliced, today its crimped.
    In our local garage take your car in with a slow puncture in on tyre, they won't check it, replace the tyre. In the old days wheel was placed in a bath of water leak detected and repaired not now a days.
    There must be many more instance where the old and tried methods have been discarded, anyone like to comment?
    Vic

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lost Skills

I agree with a lot of what is said here however funnily enough not too long ago (about three Months ) i had a very slow Air leak on my back Drivers side Tyre.
    It was going down every so often and i would get a Beep on my Dash telling me to Check my Tyre Pressure.

I took it in to the Garage and they found a Nail in it,so they removed the Nail and put in a Rubber Plug,which is Garaunteed to outlast the Tyre.
    So not the old method but no new Tyre!!

BTW They do not immerse in Water any longer as there are no Tubes and that was the main reason Years ago,the Tube not so much the Tyre was faulty . Hole etc!

But as said yes there must be many old type things that are now done so differently.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lost Skills

Repairing items is no very much an old world thing.
    Now it is all replace not repair, built in obsolescence is the way the world is.
    Little wonder there is so much rubbish about, simple repairs such as new soles on shoes is long gone, now just buy a new pair, no more cobblers.
    Even building houses now are done differently, the frames made up in a factory and just erected on site.
    Plumbing now so different, little use of copper pipes for gas or water now, all plastic with special fittings.

So many skills are now gone or dying, robots taking over much of what man once did.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes vic mcclymont liked this post