Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Germs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Germs

This year for the first time; after constant urging by my Dr, my wife and I got a flue injection, it's years since i had the flue, but one of the reasons that I got it is the way people just cough or sneeze without covering their mouth or nose, I have a drawer half full of handkerchiefs, how many people do you see these days using one, when i go out I have two in my pocket, and a clean ironed one in my back pocket, when I did my advanced first aid course the instructor told me to do this, he said the best thing for clamping any wound if there is nothing else available is an ironed handkerchief, all these little tricks on hygiene are in the distant past these days.
    Des

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bank notes, a couple of years ago before the pollimer ones came it was claimed that as much as 95% of all UK bank notes had traces of Cocaine on them.

But you must build up your immunity and some of the younger generation of mothers think you do this with Dettol or similar.
    The immunization program covers most diseases such as Measles, Whooping cough etc.
    One well know GP here said that the program wil prevent children from contracting these diseases but said that with Measles catching it will vastly improve your immune system where the inoculation will not.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never did like them germs especially after they bombed our chippy, Mind you we still won the war
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    I never did like them germs especially after they bombed our chippy, Mind you we still won the war
    Good old Stan Boardman, a very funny man, always good for a laugh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When i first saw thread title i believed it was about politicians so ignored it.
    When i was about 6 or 7 i contracted Scarlatina, which is mild Scarlet fever. I was very sick and in bed for quite some time and still remember the fever vividly and the feeling that the blankets covering me were full of needles pricking me everywhere. Health authorities put it down to me playing near the open kitchen drain in our backyard. Landlord was very annoyed when he had to make improvements. I believe that my generation are hardier than today's because we were exposed to so many harmful germs and they gave us a stronger resistance. Plus we were always playing outdoors in the fresh air and air conditioning couldn't be found in anyone's house or business premises.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do think that we were a hardier lot in those days as a result of our environments, however I still think strongly that we were also a lot more cleaner with regard to our hygiene habits. Yes we got filthy dirty but we also got washed and we always washed our hands after going to the toilet, well me and my friends did, no matter how mucky we were from playing. Personal hygiene was instilled into me by my family. Our clothes were washed by our mothers and cleanliness was very important in our house rules but it came as normal behaviour and not some annoying chore, although the shout of ' don't forget to wash your neck and behind your ears ' was often shouted after me.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I asked my GP for the Flu injection he said you do not need one.
    He said If you came up in the 1930s and 40s, you are already vaccinated by your environment at the time.
    I have only ever been ill once with an infection and that was when I was 38 years old when I got Meningitis,
    Three months in hospital and a year to recover and had to learn to speak again.
    I asked the Consultant in hospital how I was, he said, You will either Die or end up as a Vegetable.
    Fortunately I survived.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the early 1950s one of our neighbours son contacted Poliomyelitis, Stanley was older than us kids and had finished his national service
    in the army, it was summertime and Stan had a job selling ice cream from a stop me and buy one tricycle with a refrigerated box at the front.
    He was very popular with us kids in the summer holidays, then suddenly Stan was no longer around and we learned that he had Polio, sadly
    he didn't survive, it was a terrible time as Polio was a very infectious disease and people were right to be afraid of it, who remembers seeing
    the Iron Lung on the Pathe News at the cinema?, thankfully they discovered a vaccine for it and it is almost unheard of in the UK now. cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ger

Some ago I was listening to a programme on Radio 4,an Austrian professor in medicine made a comment about kids picking their noses,what he explained was through this habit kids were investing germs of all kinds ,he stated that this built up resistance to diseases.He could have a point.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ger

Does that include when they eat it ???, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast