Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What was he best skive we found aboard. All departments !!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What was he best skive we found aboard. All departments !!!!!!!

What was he best skive we found aboard all departments, I done a xmas cruise on the Windsor Castle, As most will no they where over crewed as far as the deck department went. And she had a Bosun and second Bosun, I used to get my shake early on day work and fall in with the rest, The working alleyway had to be cleaned every morning as Stewards, Waiters, Chefs, Cooks, 2nd Cooks, Bakers And uncle Tom cobley ran around the kitchens and galleys in and out by the minutes, The deck crew had to clean scuppers, Ally decks, Keep them as dry and as clean as possible, And it could be mayhem and all before breakfast. I soon realised that if you got yourself a bucket of soogie and a soogie wad and look busy you could get away with murder. I remember all over xmas and New Year you where alongside moor than at sea,This famous British shipping company linked England and South Africa via the "Cape Mail Express" service, with a sailing every Thursday at 4:00 pm from Southampton. Their ocean liners called at Las Palmas and/or Madeira (4 days), followed by a long, nonstop voyage to Cape Town (14 days), continuing to Port Elizabeth (17 days), East London (18 days) and a turnaround at Durban (19 days) I soon clocked not being a U.C.L. Regular and basically unknown I was never approached by anyone to carry out any duties no one new who I was once we hit the South African coast xmas I went on a bender spent all day in the Stewards cabins { scousers } United. I even slept on there seating never went Aft for weeks, After about 3 weeks I remember the second Bosun coming into a cabin I was staying in, Introduced himself sat down and poured a drink you don't mind do you he asked not at all carry on. After about an hour of Galley wireless he asked me who I was and my rating, E.D.H. I replied why haven't we met up before now he asked and what are you doing down here, Well I couldn't complain I had had a bloody ball with the stewards for weeks. The next task I remember was letting go for Southampton from Cape Town aft a few of the lads where asking did they have a stowaway on board I never new any of them and vise versa. The cherry on the cake came a few days later the same 2nd Bosun came into our cabin and I got asked back. Needless to say I declined and that was the last passenger ship I sailed in Happy Days Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What was he best skive we found aboard. All departments !!!!!!!

Sounds like you had a better life on there Terry, than i had on the Stirling Castle, i was one rank above the ships cat, that could be debatable as well, i was the deck boys peggy !!!!, i seem to recall approx 10 ? deck boys, who were mainly peggies or bridge boys etc, and i was their peggy !!!. I did one more trip as JOS, the condition was on promotion, and after that , passenger ships were out for me, oh on the last trip, lost the tip of my finger on the lifeboat davit, my job to throw the griping wire clear, and the pratt on the winch let the lifeboat start its decent before i got clear. and spent the rest of my sea time on dry cargo, and trampers. Never did a trip on tankers, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did not even try liners and gave tankers plus bulkers a miss as well. With the exception of the Esso Chelsea that I had to clear my book with by doing five days on as I put in for discharge while signing on. Had to give five days notice. For those that do not know her. She was an oiler for the power stations around London so never left the thames. Favourite task was on the Adelaide Star as loved doing derrick work and she had a few. How we used to split into two gangs and have races to see who could finish first especially flattening out.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My faith in human nature has just been dented, RLT skiving, Oh! dear Terry, what have you done

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Favourite task was on the Adelaide Star as loved doing derrick work and she had a few. How we used to split into two gangs and have races to see who could finish first especially flattening out.
    Les.

Hi Les I was on the Adelaide Star in 1957. when were you there,?
    Shea was a big floating work House.
    Wrote about it, ........

6. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a fireman on one particular job who was a little "weird" might be the right term. He seemed to spend his entire time below "bagging" the plates.
    He always made a point of telling the watch keeper that he was going below to bag the plates.
    On one particular day I noticed he had not gone up top for smokoe as usual, so had a scan around but couldn't see him. I decided to have a more thorough look for him as I was a little concerned. Looked all over the engine room, no joy. I thought one more look and if I cant find him I shall have to report the matter.
    I don't know why but I decided to have a look behind the spare gear lockers in the shaft tunnel, and there he was, lying on his back against the ship side in between the webs and barely visible.
    He was not a happy bunny after being gently awakened with a bucket of iced water.

8. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    My faith in human nature has just been dented, RLT skiving, Oh! dear Terry, what have you done
    Ivan, What I done mate was what Shipowners and share holders are doing all there lives, Enjoyed myself and got one over on them Terry
    {terry scouse}

10. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just remembered, While on the same trip Windsor Castle now my grey matter is a bit clouded on this but I am certain a U.C.L. Regular can tidy it up, As well as having a free cruise and living like a king, After signing on I remember joining some kind of pool a bit like the football pools the idea was to have a small amount deducted from your pay and declare three letters, Each week if your three letters which a football team or something was drawn against was the 3 highest scorers you won the weeks pot. I remember the purser getting hold of me and asking what my 3 letters where E.D.H. I replied he handed me an envelope with about £30-£40 in Lord life was good aboard that ship Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SNAP! I was also the ‘Peggies Peggy’ on the Stirling Castle the lowest of the low 1953.

Michael

13. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Les I was on the Adelaide Star in 1957. when were you there,?
    Shea was a big floating work House.
    Wrote about it, ........

was on the Adelaide Star 18/7/68 29/11/68 then signed on the Southland Star my worse decission ever after the Adelaide all formica and push buttons
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

15. Thanks Captain Kong, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast