Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You kept what ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: You kept what ??

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Your post reminded me John of the subject of garages, how many of us have a car stood outside in all weather, probably worth a lot of money, and a garage full of junk ??kt
    Snap,
    I can actually get into mine (if I move my trolley jack and a few other bits and pieces.
    Any way, it may be better for your car to stay outside. Some years ago Northumbria police reported that they had discovered that force vehicles that were garaged in heated garages actually displayed more corrosion than those parked outside; I dont suppose any one would be surprised at that then apart from rate payers who might wonder why some ranks had their vehicles in heated garages.

2. Likes Denis O'Shea, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in 1978 I built a barn.
    In the loft I had a section for hay. Had no idea what I would use the rest of it for.
    Now I can't even move up there.
    However. If any of us need a piece of wood fishing of camping supplies etc., I bet I have it in the loft.
    My daughter often jokingly remarks.
    'It's in Isle 5 at Dads Walmart'.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Back in 1978 I built a barn.
    In the loft I had a section for hay. Had no idea what I would use the rest of it for.
    Now I can't even move up there.
    However. If any of us need a piece of wood fishing of camping supplies etc., I bet I have it in the loft.
    My daughter often jokingly remarks.
    'It's in Isle 5 at Dads Walmart'.
    When I moved home the first job was to have a clear out as I was down sizing so off I went into the loft, that's when the reality of
    the task ahead hit me, 51 years of hoarded memories of all sorts, I spent as much time reading and handling old letters ,kids toys
    I even had my school swimming certificates from 1950, 50 yards, 100 yards and 150 yards I found MN stuff that I'd forgotten
    about including my suitcase which had port of call pennants and other memorabilia in it. some stuff I could not part with but
    eventually ended up with 3 skips from the loft garage and shed. it may be "Out of sight out of mind" and ok until the day of reckoning,
    then you realise that hoarding is not a good thing, Trust me, I kid you not. cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Snap,
    I can actually get into mine (if I move my trolley jack and a few other bits and pieces.
    Any way, it may be better for your car to stay outside. Some years ago Northumbria police reported that they had discovered that force vehicles that were garaged in heated garages actually displayed more corrosion than those parked outside; I dont suppose any one would be surprised at that then apart from rate payers who might wonder why some ranks had their vehicles in heated garages.
    In the early 60's car bodywork corrosion was a big problem with some models being notorious for rotting away, I remember reading
    years ago that it was better for the car bodywork to be outside as the wind etc would dry it off whereas in a garage it would stay
    damp if put away wet, todays paint finishing and undersealing is so much better after all the technology and research, I've never
    seen a modern car with rust on it but in the sixties it was a common sight. along with roadside breakdowns. cheers

6. Likes Tony Taylor, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Parking on grass is the worse for rust simply because the dew creeps up into the panels hence why a lot of cars that park on grass seem to have rust in the top of the doors. As for hoarding I to am guilty of that. Have a car body in my shed for over twenty years and it is only now that the son and I have built it up to nearly able to register it. Was given the tip long ago that when building a dog house to make it the best you could hence why I ended up with a double garage with workshop plus toilet and shower. How many times has one been working in the shed with greasy hands to have the old anus react that you have a frantic race for the toilet. Oh yes the other essential for the dog house is air conditioning in the workshop. For those that know about my baby the Torana well it is nearly ready for rego as we are now able to drive it and will be better once I get an exhaust system fitted. Wonder how long before another project finds its way into the dog house LOL.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah yes John , those were the days when we ordered a new suit , made to measure , about 25 quid from Cohen's in Aldgate , or in my case Sollie Krett on Tooting Broadway . I recently attended a fund raiser at the Melbourne Mission to Seamen and I was the only bloke present with a suit and tie and proudly wearing my Red Ensign lapel badge .
    I enjoy the relaxed styles of leisure and sports wear however there are occasions when I personally think it's a long reach to wear trakkie daks to all occasions .
    And another thing while I am at it , why don't men take their hats off indoors anymore ?
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like everyone I have the lot, stuff from George Roby, to my marlin spike, knife, palm and needle etc etc, I have all my carpenters tools, at least those my kids haven't borrowed, now and again I worry that my saws are going rusty and my wooden block plane's wedge is missing, but when then I think will I ever need them, look around the house and think NAW, and I go back to reading my book.
    Cheers Des

10. Likes Tony Taylor, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Morton View Post
    Ah yes John , those were the days when we ordered a new suit , made to measure , about 25 quid from Cohen's in Aldgate , or in my case Sollie Krett on Tooting Broadway . I recently attended a fund raiser at the Melbourne Mission to Seamen and I was the only bloke present with a suit and tie and proudly wearing my Red Ensign lapel badge .
    I enjoy the relaxed styles of leisure and sports wear however there are occasions when I personally think it's a long reach to wear trakkie daks to all occasions .
    And another thing while I am at it , why don't men take their hats off indoors anymore ?
    This might upset some, but here goes anyway.
    Since coming ashore my employment has been spent mainly on the road, at the height of my period ashore I was driving 50 - 60 thousand miles a year.
    One little personal observation that I have proven over time (to myself anyway) is to be very wary of other people in the driving seat wearing hats while driving.
    It has nothing to do with age / sex whatever, just the hats.
    If I had to pick out the worst it would be middle aged men wearing a baseball cap, especially if it is revered.
    Give em a wide berth.

12. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Tony Taylor;332666]One little personal observation that I have proven over time (to myself anyway) is to be very wary of other people in the driving seat wearing hats while driving.QUOTE]

Funnily enough Tony that is advice that my father gave me, when I started driving (when cars had starting handles), he also said keep well clear of drivers wearing hats and smoking pipes.

On the occasions I was home taking the kids to and from school in the dark and to keep them quiet I used to say what colours are the cars which are driving without lights, it was always dark blue and red ones, and that still holds true today, but less frequent with automatic lights fitted to day's cars

14. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Ivan Cloherty;332667]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    One little personal observation that I have proven over time (to myself anyway) is to be very wary of other people in the driving seat wearing hats while driving.QUOTE]

Funnily enough Tony that is advice that my father gave me, when I started driving (when cars had starting handles), he also said keep well clear of drivers wearing hats and smoking pipes.

On the occasions I was home taking the kids to and from school in the dark and to keep them quiet I used to say what colours are the cars which are driving without lights, it was always dark blue and red ones, and that still holds true today, but less frequent with automatic lights fitted to day's cars
    ha ha nice one, carrying a starting handle these days would get you done for offensive weapon.

16. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast