Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: You kept what ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default You kept what ??

It is quite amazing what we hang onto over our life time, apart from our partners that is, and what for?

Rooting in my walk in robe the other day getting sorted for our next trip I saw a suit holder not been looked at for a long time.
    Inside the suit I wore at my wife's wedding.
    Thought for a laugh I may try it on.
    What a shocker, after some 51 years I cannot believe how much it has shrunk, obviously lack of sunlight has had an effect on the material.

Then in a box I had forgotten about, a pair of bathers from Catolica in Italy about 1971.
    Un opened a pack of playing cards from the maiden voyage of the 'British Hawthorn', a bottle of 'Freddie' after shave(Freddie Laker Airline) still in the box unopened.
    Pair of white shoes bought back in 1980 when white ones were all the go in Melbourne.

Just why do we keep all this stuff and where will it end up?

I am sure some of you must also have a similar collection!
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 11th June 2019 at 04:05 PM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: You kept what ??

Hi John,
    Don't worry mate.
    I still have my Boy Scout uniform.
    Don't think I could get one leg into my shorts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Re: You kept what ??

Hi guys ; I have a huge collection of neck ties going back to my school colours {blue and gold ], from the fifties Slim Jims' the Kippers of 60/70s . Of course our own MN and a Monkey design from the bar of the Oriana . Never get a chance to wear one nowadays except weddings and funerals , not enough of the first and far to many of the second .
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we have just had a bedroom makeover dumping some of the clothes that I never wore for years but sad I remember things I wore at the time like a calendar of my life but all gone I am lucky four sons all give me their hand me downs the price they pay for clothes and ware them once. barb had a clear out when I went from 15stone down to 9stone after cancer now back to my fighting weight again 15 and a half stone? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've saved some of my favourite slim Jim ties, for me they are a reminder of good times when we all took a pride in our appearance ie
    smart suit, shiny shoes and a decent haircut in the style of the day. MN days mementos, too many to name, Pennants from ports of call,
    NZSCo house flag and belt buckle, camel hide writing case from the bum boats and more that I can't recall offhand, what is junk to some
    is treasure to others. cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me I kept my sense of humour and morals that I honed up while at sea. Sure they have given me problems for the rest of my working life but now in retirement I can look back with pride. Stayed an idian and to this day remain an indian because most of those I have seen progressing up the ladder have paid a dear price in compromising their morals.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well said les if you can laugh at some of the things thrown at you in your life you have got it made I can sit and laugh at some situations I have been in throughout my life and can always get a laugh out of people having a hard time life is fun never let it get you down? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    Stayed an idian and to this day remain an indian because most of those I have seen progressing up the ladder have paid a dear price in compromising their morals.
    A very jaundiced view Les of your fellow man, most reached up the ladder by hard work, (physical and mental), honesty and integrity. There are of course bad apples both in the Chiefs and Indians barrels, but I personally don't judge my fellow men (and women etc etc) by those few bad apples.

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sir Edmund Hillary, Once said it is not Mount Everest the man has to conquer, He has to conquer himself.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    It is quite amazing what we hang onto over our life time, apart from our partners that is, and what for?

Rooting in my walk in robe the other day getting sorted for our next trip I saw a suit holder not been looked at for a long time.
    Inside the suit I wore at my wife's wedding.
    Thought for a laugh I may try it on.
    What a shocker, after some 51 years I cannot believe how much it has shrunk, obviously lack of sunlight has had an effect on the material.

Then in a box I had forgotten about, a pair of bathers from Catolica in Italy about 1971.
    Un opened a pack of playing cards from the maiden voyage of the 'British Hawthorn', a bottle of 'Freddie' after shave(Freddie Laker Airline) still in the box unopened.
    Pair of white shoes bought back in 1980 when white ones were all the go in Melbourne.

Just why do we keep all this stuff and where will it end up?

I am sure some of you must also have a similar collection!
    Thanks for a bloody good laugh John, I got to thinking a few things I have an old oil can/ A ships chipping hammer/ A flat headed full set of screw drivers / I have even kept hold of the wife after all these years
    {terry scouse}

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast