Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You kept what ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: You kept what ??

A very jaundiced view Les of your fellow man, most reached up the ladder by hard work, (physical and mental), honesty and integrity. There are of course bad apples both in the Chiefs and Indians barrels, but I personally don't judge my fellow men (and women etc etc) by those few bad apples.

Not really that jaundiced just have a look at the quality of those in the political field as well as private and say that they got there from hard work. No I have seen so many getting a leg up the ladder from using fellow workers to get there. How many of us where shocked at this when finally starting to work ashore. I know I was and still to this day see it happening more and more. Not jaundiced just facing reality. Having said that there are still a lot that do get there from hard work and those one scare the crap out of the majority that conned their way up the ladder. As for stuff we still have from our time at sea unfortunatly left it all behind when I jumped. Maybe if I had been sober I might have either stayed or kept some of my gear. So all I was left with was a hangover and the bugger still haunts me to this day LOL. So maybe that is my remaining memento.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

2. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post

Not really that jaundiced just have a look at the quality of those in the political field as well as private and say that they got there from hard work.
    When you mentioned being an Indian Les, I thought you were referring to seafarers, who on the whole I found very hard working, honest and who could give and take insults with a sense of humour (never happened ashore!) and promotion came either by length of service or qualifications. Working ashore fortunately I had a job where office politics didn't affect me

4. Likes Captain Kong, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very jaundiced view Les of your fellow man, most reached up the ladder by hard work, (physical and mental), honesty and integrity. There are of course bad apples both in the Chiefs and Indians barrels, but I personally don't judge my fellow men (and women etc etc) by those few bad apples.

Not really that jaundiced just have a look at the quality of those in the political field as well as private and say that they got there from hard work. No I have seen so many getting a leg up the ladder from using fellow workers to get there. How many of us where shocked at this when finally starting to work ashore. I know I was and still to this day see it happening more and more. Not jaundiced just facing reality. Having said that there are still a lot that do get there from hard work and those one scare the crap out of the majority that conned their way up the ladder. As for stuff we still have from our time at sea unfortunatly left it all behind when I jumped. Maybe if I had been sober I might have either stayed or kept some of my gear. So all I was left with was a hangover and the bugger still haunts me to this day LOL. So maybe that is my remaining memento.
    So true mate, since coming ashore my job has involved meeting with people of all levels in industry and the number of times I have asked myself "how did a clown like that get into such a well paid high level position as that?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the method used in shore jobs, is make a bloody nuisance of yourself, do the job badly etc, and these days its very hard to sack someone without falling foul of laws and compensation etc, so the only method left to get them off your back, is promotion to someone else worry. As for the collection of useless items in your home, the longer you live in one place, the more useless items gathered, then left to the kids to clear out when we go. Also none of us older citizens grew up in a throw away society, so if we think it still has some use, we hang on to it, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14. Aye Keith, make do and mend along with the hand me downs, only when totally useless went to the "Rag & Bone Man"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can anyone explain to me this little dilemma? Why is that once you bite the bullet and throw out that bit of worthless junk that has been with you for fricking years that it becomes the one thing that you need a short time after ditching it. That my friends is why I have a shed full of the stuff LOL. To fricking scared to throw it out. How many others have tools that only come into use about two or three times in their life but when needed are just the right tool.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

les having four sons my tools go missing nobody know where they are until I go to their houses surprising what you find I don't mind lending them if they ask I could work in my workshop in the dark and put my hands on anything I need well sometimes? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can anyone explain to me this little dilemma? Why is that once you bite the bullet and throw out that bit of worthless junk that has been with you for fricking years that it becomes the one thing that you need a short time after ditching it. That my friends is why I have a shed full of the stuff LOL. To fricking scared to throw it out. How many others have tools that only come into use about two or three times in their life but when needed are just the right tool.
    ha ha Les, we must be out of same mould. How often I say "I know I have one, its in there somewhere". " now where did I stow it?" that's when the fun starts.

11. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spot on Les, bought a bungalow and moved in just before christmas after living in my old home for 51 years, I built a garage that was
    made to be a workshop, and over the years accumulated a huge collection of tools of all sorts both electrical and manual. Being 80 and
    moving to a much newer place I thought I'd done with all that stuff so with a heavy heart I gave my tools away, what am I doing now?
    "Building a new Patio" so never say never, I'm lucky that my son lives next door and I have borrowed my tools back, is this what they mean
    by Sods Law, I know I said Sod it , Never say Never, cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your post reminded me John of the subject of garages, how many of us have a car stood outside in all weather, probably worth a lot of money, and a garage full of junk ??kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast