Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What ship?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What ship?

broccoli / Calabrese has been in the UK for 200 years , but not as well known until the 1980's
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref post #8
    I can see what you mean there Fred but I am afraid I have to disagree with you. I saw the very first episode of this show and the first thing that sprung to my mind when the shot of the DM came on the screen that it was based around the docks in the mid to late 50's in London and would obviously depict some austerity and that people did live with the docks at the bottom of their street. I lived in Liverpool and the oil tankers docked at the bottom of our street at the Dingle Oil Terminal.
    Regards
    John C

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the "DM" in 1961 - "Worst ship out of London" someone told me. Not true!!! - We had a great 3 and a half months sailing round the Cape and on to New Zealand. Two deaths on board on consecutive Fridays, one a passenger, one a crew member. Sailed out of the Albert Dock, through the lock gates and we're on our way. Wife is a great fan of "Call the Midwife" - The start is the best bit with the DM sitting proudly in dock. I knew nothing of it's war time service until recent years, then discovered it just got out of Singapore in time and had a distinguished career as a Battleship Grey Troopship. Great memories.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting, we had a huge garden and allotment during the war, grew everything we could, but for the life of me can't remember growing Broccoli. Only started eating it when we were in NZ in the 60s.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can’t remember it either Des. To make up for vitimin deficiency’s can remember the cod liver oil and the orange juice though . The only thing out of the butchers shop was potted meat which I learned to hate and still do , was always surrounded by jelly ( tine) . After working in a butchers later did nothing to change my mind. Nobody complained about soup kitchens then , maybe they used the Broccoli in the soup ? One never hears about the children casualty’s due to rickets and other diseases due to lack of vitamins. You hear plenty today if one case is found due to malnutrition today. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Broccoli, no do not recall that in UK much before about 1970, Cauliflower only.
    Now we have Broccolini, must be Italian bit, but if you let the plant grow once the main head is off similar will grow again for a while.
    At times there are Purple Cauliflower in the shops, in UK, and here, saw it named as Cape Cauliflower.

As to that program, often wondered which ship and thought maybe the DM, thanks for confirmation.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2