Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Knights Templars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knights Templars

Fouro, Re #127.

I was skimming through the posts and saw your post and recognized the name of the Knight Templar you mentioned.
    William Marshall, 1st Earl of Pembroke was my 27th great-grandfathers,* one of many of my g.g.fs:

He started out as a tournament knight, fighting regularly and drew the punters in to watch the matches.* He was noted in documents as "The greatest knight that ever lived."

He was rather poor in the beginning, being a younger son of a minor nobleman Gilbert FitzRobert Gabard (le Maraschel) Marshall of the Kings Horses) an inherited position.* He finally took the name Marshall as the family name and* it was ultimately recognized as the family name by the peerage review.

Back to William.* He lucked out and married Isabel de Clair, heiress of Pembroke and as the husband took the family seat as his own and became William I Earl of Pembroke.

He was guardian of the child Prince Henry (Henry III) and was Regent of England. Altogether he was advisor to five English Kings.
    His wife Isabel, was a 25th great-grandmother so she is 25th and 26th g.g.m. to me.

All together 7 Normans came over with William 1st who were great-grandfathers and William the Conqueror is four times a great-grandfather and once great-great-uncle in my family tree.

The Normans were an incestuous group for almost three hundred years and did not speak English.* They considered themselves Normans born in England, and the females were bargained around the group for titles and land.* One of my g.g.m., a very wealthy widow, paid the king 1000 coins (forget the coins name) to not be passed out for remarriage for five years, and his majesty took the cash.

William 1st cleaned house when he won, those landowners not killed were kicked out of England to exile for life in Europe and their lands and manors given to his friends as rewards..

One g.g.m. was betrothed at the age of three, married at twelve, and died in childbirth at twenty giving birth to her fifth child.

Two g.g.m.s killed their husbands, one poisoned, one cut of her husbands head while "he was asleep in bed".* One g.g.f. had to head out-of-town to Europe, the current king stuck his wife and eldest son in prison and starved them to death.

This is just the Norman-English part, the Scots, were really bloodthirsty, and similar all to Welsh and Irish mob who married in with the Normans and became great-great grandparents too.

Well better stop. I get a lot of fun out of researching and documenting my tree I have 4,648 ancestors identified so far and still going strong.

Cheers, Rodney. (Sun's over the yardarm and it's bourbon time).

P.s. The Marshalls did not come over with William, the came over before the Conquest, invited by King Edward the Confessor and joined William after Hastings and fought with the Normans against the English and then the Welsh.
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 16th March 2020 at 09:16 PM.

2. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney no doubt you would enjoy Preceptory. I belong to Allendby Preceptory , in remembrance of Lord Allenby of Palestine fame 1914 /1918 era. We have just recently celebrated our 100 years of the Preceptory, and had print out of Allenbys life story, but can’t remember if he was a mason or not. Anyhow cannot find the print out at the moment , but may be on Google. Everything seems to be on Google , but as say they only print what they know and presume the rest. The Knights Templar are considered the military wing of freemasonry purely because all rituals and signals are done with the sword.. The few words used are mainly in Arabic . But there is no antagonism in any rituals and the Order is open to anyone with the correct freemasonry qualifications. Regards JWS. PS I finished my bottle of whiskey last night and frightened to go out to replenish, in case I catch cold. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th March 2020 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref.161
    I can beat that Rod one of my ancestors was a Roman Numeral .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was that X or V. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could also be the letter I too, signified by raising only the middle finger in a clenched fist and saying "Hail Caesar...We about to die salute you". And they did.

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And then Died ?? JS
    As to Authenticity of the Knights Templar can be found in the New Testament and without giving any obligations away the following words are near the end of a much longer charge and refer to Simon of Syracuse who betrayed his trust to the infidels, referring to the body, and the grand master, ordered it to be placed on the point of a pinnacle or spire , the skull to be laid open and the brain exposed to the scorching rays of the sun, as a warning to all others “ . At least someone believed it all those centuries ago. JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th March 2020 at 01:45 AM.

8. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Playing a joke John on the pledge by the gladiators to Caesar of ancient Rome before combat.

Cheers, Rodney

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17