Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Knights Templars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knights Templars

#1 by Louis. Your interest in the history of the Knight Templers has certainly created a lot of replies now on ten pages. It has me searching through all my books on the subject from a local point of view I think I have mentioned before that the local Boy Scouts camp ground is known as Templers Park as it once belonged to them. A respected local historian has done a fair amount of research in to the Order. Now here is the crux of the matter, there are two Orders firstly The Knight Hopitallers founded in 1099 and the Knight Templers founded in 1119. both involved in the First Crusade to the Holy Land. They came to Scotland during the reign of David 1 (1124-1153) as already stated the Order of the Knight Templers was abolished by a papal Bull in 1312 and in Scotland around 1319 they seem to have been disbanded. The Knight Hospitallers--- or the Knights of the Hospital of St. John Of Jerusalem were reputed to have inherited the wealth and possessions on their suppression, only in Scotand, to the country's lasting credit, was this effected.
    The Hospitallers hung on till the Reformation when the Order was dissolved and their lands passing to the crown.
    Strange to say the Order reappeared in Britian in 1838 and as the Order of St.John was given a royal charter in 1888. Most of us will have seen their work at football matches or sport events as the St. John Ambulance Brigade.

2. Thanks Louis the fly, j.sabourn, Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think Louis tends to look at 12th. century events through 21st. Century eyes a mistake everyone makes , plus other mistakes when studying history. The main fault in the middle east today, as in lots of ways they are #till living in the 12th. Century with the same views.If. You look at Palestine history it is not just an argument between the Hebrew nation and others locally it goes back.well before Christ. It was aggravated later by many European countries and after the last war when the Jews wanted their old home land back preference was given to the Arabic nations , causing the jews to have to fight for their lands of old. Israel was always considered by them to be their homeland. Today Iran is still their natural enemies as it was in Babylonian times which was the old name for Iran.
    We may think we can make judgements of others countries, this is a false philosophy. What has happened has been and gone. The people of those times made their own decisions. And to the victors come the spoils. To be party to the Geneva convention which was unheard of , and when it did arrive was not agreeable to all has been mainly a farce. Similar to the old rules of boxing, once considered a gentleman’s sport and coming under the rules of the Marquis of Queensbury.. JS.

Bill... there is also... The Grand College of Holy Royal Arch Knight Templar Priests or Order of Holy Wisdom,.
    If your looking for reference to what I stated will more than likely be under The Great Priory.
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th January 2019 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Slightly of course here; but last night watched an archeological program on King Arthur, where they debunked a lot of old historical stories written by a Welsh monk 600 year after the event, there were supposed to have been all kinds of fighting between the Saxons and the locals, as they came over from the continent, all as I said debunked in the program, they never found one body from that time with any wounds inflicted, they seem to have settled and intermarried. So I suppose as in the Knights Templar's much of it is cloaked in history and mystery maybe.
    Des

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe the reason for no fighting Des, they settled out of court. Cheers JS

7. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Maybe the reason for no fighting Des, they settled out of court. Cheers JS
    The outer court of King Arthur.
    Des

9. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The once and future King, certainly in the movies;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwVD1xdAX4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The article about the 'Temple' in London brings back memories to me of a young school lad.

I had met with a family friend who was keen on historical places of interest.

He took me to the Temple and explained to me the reason for it and his position as a member of Toch H.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#105..Any Court would do Des except the tennis court. Seems to be as much aggro as needed there at the moment. Cheers JS

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    The article about the 'Temple' in London brings back memories to me of a young school lad.

I had met with a family friend who was keen on historical places of interest.

He took me to the Temple and explained to me the reason for it and his position as a member of Toch H.

Toc H may make a good topic on it's own. Adding some initial info, you may wish to develop this further ?

K.

Toc H is an international Christian movement. The name is an abbreviation for Talbot House, 'Toc' signifying the letter T in the signals spelling alphabet used by the British Army in World War I. A soldiers' rest and recreation centre named Talbot House was founded in December 1915 at Poperinghe, Belgium.

16. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Likes Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, Knight Templar.

He was a rare creature trusted for his integrity by the King and Barons.
    Fortunately for history King John died in1216, leaving a young nine year old boy as his heir. William Marshal was elected Regent to a young Henry III until he became of age to reign. Within a short time Marshal reissued new versions of the Charter (Magna Carta). He also did the same in 1216 and 1217.
    At the age of seventy he returned to the field of battle and drove the French out of England. After getting rid of the French and just before he died, he became a Templar.
    Looking at various effigies of Knights on their tombs you may have noticed some legs are crossed.
    Crossed legs at the ankles meant the individual had completed one Crusade, crossed at the knees meant whoever had completed two Crusades, and crossed at the thighs meant three Crusades had been completed.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast