Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ukraine

Although posted in trivia etc, i think the situation with Ukraine and Russia has a worrying development , i see today that although not a member, Ukraine has requested NATO help. If you look at the map, by closing that sea off to Ukraine it has shut off two thirds of Ukraine ports.Just the sort of conflict that has worldwide effect. As i recall Ukraine were going to join NATO, which would be bit of a worry for Russia. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ukraine

I have just looked at the BBC news sight and noticed that Angela Merkel has said that dialogue is the only solution to the problem. She is probably right regardless of the Ukraine's president asking NATO to send warships to the Sea of Azov. I just hope that she is speaking for Germany and not for the whole of NATO ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is events like this that cause World Wars.

4. Likes Bill Cameron, Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Russians are probing all the time, just look at all the fairly recent events where they are implicated; it always draws the same response "who me? no not me guv.
    I believe they have a long term strategy to take back all the previous Soviet controlled countries and their potential opposition deterrent forces are diminishing all the time, e.g. British Army in Germany - virtually non existent now, American will is diminishing, if they start to pull out then the door will be open to Putins hordes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree Tony, The thing I cant get my head around is Putin seems to do exactly what he wants with no consequence's. He rules with an iron fist the Soviet Union has disbanded he is not the force he once was and needs a bit more than sanctions imposed by the west. He will overstep the mark one day and maybe that day has come with his antics in Ukraine. What is lacking in Europe is a true statesman Winston Churchill for example, He was hitlers demise and Putin needs to be made in this very dangerous world for everyone to be made to tow the line. Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 29th November 2018 at 03:39 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, in terms of the only possible opposition to Putin, and no wonder the Yanks are baulking at the cost of NATO, there are only now 5 countries paying in to the kitty that they have all signed up to, USA , UK Poland Greece and Estonia, so your mighty Germans French Netherlands Spain etc etc,, all yap and no substance, never mind a federal army, they cannot even pay their dues to the only alternative. Its the one thing that i am fully behind Trump, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just an observation from affar but has anyone noticed that nearly every time that a country is about to have an election that a conflict of sorts rears its head as they know that those in power are very often voted back in. Our lot in Oz would love to see a conflict happen before they go to the election. Best that they can do is to take some action from a bloody nutter and turn it into a terroist attack and in so doing foster more nutters to do the same just to bolster their chances of re election. Not saying this is what is happening in the Ukrain but makes one sceptical of those in power as they know that Putin will react so can be played like all those who think that they are the most powerful are at their weakest because of this attitude.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Less.
    Even blind Freddy could see that that clown in the Ukraine was going to loss the up coming Presidential election, I follow world politics fairly closely and something like this was on the cards, Porochenko has been flying close to the wind in his parliament, and expects the NATO to step in and help him every time he bleats which they have been very reluctant to do. When the Ukrainian navy ships {looked like a tug and a pleasure boat ] went through the passage they didn't as they should have gone to port towards the Ukraine ports but kept straight ahead into Russian waters. Didn't Britain shadow every Russian navy ship going through the Channel in case they strayed of course
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trump at the G20 meeting says he will not meet with Putin after the current situation developed.
    Would have thought dialogue would have been the way to go.
    Little point in placing sanctions on Russia, will do more harm to the west than Russia.
    They can cut the gas and oil supply to the west and that is it.

As to NATO, bit like the UN, not a lot of teeth in it these days and Missy Merkel up on her perch will do little to help the situation.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If they want a European army all they have to do is start and re-advertise for the French Foreighn Legion. Make the money a bit better than formerly am sure they would get all the bodies they needed. JS
    PS as an added incentive they could point out the attractions of the Casbah in Sfax in North Africa. That is if they still have a garrison in those parts. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st December 2018 at 07:06 AM.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast