Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunset stirred my memory

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sunset stirred my memory

Now the Moonlight is calling me to my Kip
    Had a very long and stressful day hope ToMorrow will bring better tidings!
    I am bushed

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Now the Moonlight is calling me to my Kip
    Had a very long and stressful day hope ToMorrow will bring better tidings!
    I am bushed

###sleep well vernon ....you wont.have cappy waking you he is treading on eggshells ......and so lightly they are not even cracking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding steering, A saying that is very popular with today's politicians he fell asleep at the wheel, No truer saying i bet there are not many seaman aboard here that would not hand on heart say they had dozed off for a minute or two especially if your whole watch was spent at the wheel. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That happened to me Terry, that 2hr shift on the wheel at night, just the light from the compass, and i don't know about yourself , but the navigating officers never had much of a conversation with the helmsman. I recall dozing off and the course all over the place, i woke up and couldn't even remember what my course was. On that particular ship, we did not have a ships wheel, but a port and starboard button, this would have been late 50s. i wonder if any others experienced steering by buttons then, kt
    R689823

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OH I Admit Kieth i dozed of at the wheel a few times, Especially if you had put to sea after working the deck all day and drawing the 12 by 4 graveyard watch you where bloody knackered and as you say apart from the occasional shipping forecast in the back ground and only navigation lights on deck the wheelhouse blanked out and the rolling of the ship a bit like being back in your mothers whom i suppose.
    {terry scouse}

Lewis McColl Guest

When I was doing a spell on coasters my Mrs came with me a few trips. We were rounding lands end and heading past the Lizard. My Mrs asked the skipper how difficult it was to steer the ship. He took it off auto pilot and showed her what to do. It was not a wheel but just more like a tiller. She was doing quite well so Richard says to me lets have a bit of fun. We had a wondering lead which you took out onto the wing of the bridge for going alongside. He switched to remote control for the lead without saying anything and then started playing silly buggers. Next thing is we are yawing all over the place, Richard shouts in , Karen watch your heading, she would try and correct it and as she thought she was back on course Richard would swing her off course again. I could she her getting frustrated as she tries to correct it again. We started laughing and she asked what was so funny. So Richard holds up the steering box and tells her he is having a laugh. Bugger me she seen her ass and slams the bridge door shut, this had the effect of chopping the cable in two, bang now no steering control. To make matters worse the cable has wedged the bridge door shut. Panic as we are now NUC. By the time we had scrambled over the top of the wheelhouse, through the other door and engaged the steering control again and back on course we are heading for the Lizard at 10 knots.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26 Sounds like a sensible attitude towards navigation and care of those in their bunks down below whilst sailing in treacherous waters with fast changing races and currents. Glad I never sailed with such clowns.

9. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Trader liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

#27#28 Very wise words as usual thank you for that. Just bear in mind though about what Brian has posted about trying to cause discord.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lew you have to watch what you say on here they are onto you like a ton of bricks but they just say what they want with impunity.Fancy kicking up about something that happened many years ago without consequence.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

12. Likes Trader, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    #27#28 Very wise words as usual thank you for that. Just bear in mind though about what Brian has posted about trying to cause discord.
    No one is trying to cause discord Lewis, we are only commenting upon your irresponsibility and lack of care for your fellow seafarers, it was after all your post, some things are best left unsaid, and as for your #29 don't be so bluddy self righteous. I for one certainly don't need to be preached at by the likes of you and have every respect for this site
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 23rd March 2018 at 03:21 PM.

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast