Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Sunset stirred my memory

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sunset stirred my memory

Also reminds me of Yacht toilets Lewis, the swearing i have done unblocking the toilet on my boat, but i cured the problem, dumped all the others and installed a Lavac, rolls royce of the boat toilets, if you get a blockage, undo the bolts on the front of the pump, and that all there is to it, kt
    R689823

2. Likes robpage, N/A, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That evac system is similar to the one used on aircraft. I often wonder what would happen if you flush whilst still seated. Nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But do you remember the Salt water shower with the special soap?
    On the Paparoa we had to revert to them as there was a water shortage on board, only two pints of fresh water per day per man.
    That combined with the heat of crossing the Indian ocean all dark clothing turned almost white with the salt content.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only ever came across water rationing on a king line ship that had no decoration and didn't have huge water tanks . We pass the Canary Islands in sight but there was no way we were going in for just water . A deck cargo of elephants and water buffalo made it 10 times worse
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was always one of the controversy’s on ships Rob. The mate used to blame the second for using out of the domestic tanks when the feed tanks got low, the second used to deny and both would go into huffs like big daft school girls. With the entry of evaporators and distillers did away with most water rationing. If you look on the old articles of agreement amongst the minimum store requirements you will find how much water you were entitled to, so don’t put too much in your whiskey, you might want to clean your teeth. I don’t have that problem. Cheers JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###while delivering large steel pipes to kharg island as they stated to build there in 58 ...we were anchored off... the means of getting the pipes ashore ws a dhow like small vessell ...we had some 40 plus pipes when one was put aboard the dhow she was almost under water ..no prob until abit of a sea running ..those days the dhow did not appear ......for some rEason like the suez canal we had about 8 or so arabs to fanny about aboard our vessel......they had one large barrel of fresh water topped up once a day to cook etc they cooked on deck ...but as we were there many days the water was then rationeD ...the arabs immedietely started to get into the accom for water one got a smack in the mouth .....we of course had the west coast ensign aboard..which aTtracted many flies from kharg which swarmed into the galley and every where else ...our water was then rationed someone asked could we put the accom ladder down to swim but as we had been dumping gash for days ...nobby was paying us much attention.....the temp was extremely high in august..there was much friction aboard and some upset ......eventually we got away after many days and nights of half sleep.......sadly we then anchored on the shatt el arab waiting to get into basra ....the usual trash came aboard ist night a stole many items some even when people were asleep ..the next night we had a set of pick axe handles and i believe some splashes were heard and much screaming from a round the vessel...we had no prob after that ....funny thing the minute water was rationed a great thirst appears i can only say......god bless those in life boats during the war .........doubt if anything like that happens on british vessels today.........if we have any left ........cappy chief galley boy WOE........

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I only ever came across water rationing on a king line ship that had no decoration and didn't have huge water tanks . We pass the Canary Islands in sight but there was no way we were going in for just water . A deck cargo of elephants and water buffalo made it 10 times worse
    ###in shields rob a king line ship was a punishment from the commitee for skinning out somewhere had you been a naughty boy ...lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Clan Mactaggart with Chief Engineer who was the most bigoted man I ever met , and one of the worst engineers too , the ship was going to scrap from Mombasa so I got a ride home on the King Arthur v, apparently shipped out of Glasgow a year before , Glasgow Pool , loaded more cargo Liverpool , half the Glaswegians jailed for fighting , topped up Liverpool Pool , had the Scottish -b Scouse war on the way to London , topped up London Pool . all crew two cans a day OPENED , Crew bar shut for months , fun run
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

12. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Clan Mactaggart with Chief Engineer who was the most bigoted man I ever met , and one of the worst engineers too , the ship was going to scrap from Mombasa so I got a ride home on the King Arthur v, apparently shipped out of Glasgow a year before , Glasgow Pool , loaded more cargo Liverpool , half the Glaswegians jailed for fighting , topped up Liverpool Pool , had the Scottish -b Scouse war on the way to London , topped up London Pool . all crew two cans a day OPENED , Crew bar shut for months , fun run
    ##now thats sounds a very regular occurance in days of yore.......

14. Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the deck crew were largely original , tough bosun , 2nd steward , head through hatch , hands up who wants soup , six soups , one for the mate , who had a lot of dysentery symptoms all trip

16. Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the deck crew were largely original , tough bosun , 2nd steward , head through hatch , hands up who wants soup , six soups , one for the mate , who had a lot of dysentery symptoms all trip
    rob that was many peoples views at that time ...... as second steward i once walked out the pantry put an ice cream over the chiefs head ....the old mans wife pulled me aside and said you should have done it sooner............this wasnt passenger vessels this was old time tramps many from the war shattered nerves and alcohol to the fore .......strangely enough the chief said to me i was out of order later .... i asked the old man not to log you or take it any further.... the incident happened when a mate of mine the saloon steward asked for a day off..so i put the 2nd trip cabin boy into the saloon ...he was a bit timid ...the alky chief was shreeking at him ice cream ice cream ...some handnt had there soup but the boy had to learn the chief then shouted he is a fucking idiot this in front of the old man and his wife that was when i shot in and put it over his head...to be fair rob the saying officers ive **** em was due on that occasion of course...but i did enjoy my 2nd stewards job and was a goodn .....when treated correctly .....ps never logged for that ...some old men would have had me inside ...but then a good old man would have had the bloody chief inside ....oh happy days

18. Likes Keith Tindell, robpage liked this post
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14