Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sitting bull

Bengy Roberts Guest

Default Sitting bull

The location of his gravesite is still debated today.
    Two days after he was killed, Sitting Bull’s body was unceremoniously buried in the post cemetery at Fort Yates, North Dakota. There it remained for more than 60 years until 1953, when a Sitting Bull descendant named Clarence Grey Eagle led a party that secretly exhumed and relocated it to a new grave in Mobridge, South Dakota. A monument and a bust of Sitting Bull were later erected on the Mobridge site, but to this day rumors persist that Grey Eagle and his team may have dug up the wrong body. North Dakota officials even put up a plaque at the original Fort Yates site reading, “He was buried here but his grave has been vandalized many times.” Others, meanwhile, claim the great chief’s bones had already been exhumed prior to 1953 and reinterred near Turtle Mountain in the Canadian province of Manitoba ....When born he was given the name Jumping Badger. ..

2. Likes dave moore, Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sitting bull

An Indian Boy came home from his first day in school.
    "Hi Dad, why do we have different names than the white boys, they are called Bill or George or Charlie,"
    "Well it is like this", says Dad, " In our Indian culture we name the child for the first thing we see from the tepee when you are born. Your sister is called Running Deer because a Deer was running past, your brother is called Thunder Cloud as a big cloud was overhead and it thundered, so why do you ask, Two Dogs Shagging??"

Bengy Roberts Guest

I am poor and naked, but I am the chief of the nation.HOW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bengy Roberts View Post
    I am poor and naked, but I am the chief of the nation.HOW
    ###are you in the loony bin lol

Keith at Tregenna Guest

A man is driving through the desert when he notices a sign. The sign reads “Turn here to speak to the Native American with the most incredible memory.” Curious, the man takes the road and comes across the Native American man standing at the side of the road.*

“Try me” replies the Native American.*“Okay, what did you have for breakfast on July 18th 1986?”

The Native American thinks for a moment and then replies, “Eggs.” Amazed, the man thanks the Native American and gets back in his car and continues his journey.*
    15 years later, he is travelling through the same desert and notices the same sign.

Having forgotten all about the Native American until seeing the sign, he decides to go ask another question. *Upon reaching the Native American, and before the man can even ask a question, the Native man says: “They were scrambled.”

K.

Bengy Roberts Guest

As usua,l good one Keith,BENGY.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###are you in the loony bin lol
    No , Broadmoor , repeating some of those jokes is a criminal offence
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Likes N/A, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Co-incidentally I have just finished reading a book by Dee Brown,titled Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.It is a comprehensive history of the demise of the Red Indian Nation .It is a true account of the last thirty years up until the death of Sitting Bull.Tha American government literally deceived the Indian chiefs when it came to land ownership making promise after promise eventually coraling them into tiny pockets of land.The red indians lifeblood was the Bison and game but throughout the latter part of the 19th century million of emigrants arrived and a large percentage of the move across the country open up the west .Railroads and roads were constructed in doing so drove the Indians off their fatherland that they lived off ,in doing so the massive numbers of people shot large numbers of Bison and game ,bearing in mind that the emigrant numbers were in there millions literally millions of Bison and game were shot to feed them.Naturally the natural owners of the land rose against this,the American government started made so many broken promises each time three was an uprising,literally conning the RedIndians from being a relatively peaceful nation naturally having disputes between tribes these at the time being settled with their weapons ,bows and arrows having no guns until the settlers arrived.At first The traded with them in animal skins etc but once they (the settlers )started to demand their lands the uprising started .Could you blame them ? In reading this book the true story is told slowly they we driven from their hunting grounds because of greed for gold and land .Wnen I was a youngsters I used to go to the pictures and liked Westerns you know what I mean Cowboys and Indians.the cowboys were always portraid as the heroes now I'm of an age and know that the truth is entirely different .I have read a great deal of Red Indian culture although their nations are now no longer their ancestors should be very proud and most of them are now educated ,even when the book I have read was first published in the 1970s and many were still living in squalid conditions on reservations I hope that they now get a better deal in life and should feel very proud of their forefathers.

11. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron, N/A, Fouro, Roger Dyer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dave moore View Post
    Co-incidentally I have just finished reading a book by Dee Brown,titled Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.It is a comprehensive history of the demise of the Red Indian Nation .It is a true account of the last thirty years up until the death of Sitting Bull.Tha American government literally deceived the Indian chiefs when it came to land ownership making promise after promise eventually coraling them into tiny pockets of land.The red indians lifeblood was the Bison and game but throughout the latter part of the 19th century million of emigrants arrived and a large percentage of the move across the country open up the west .Railroads and roads were constructed in doing so drove the Indians off their fatherland that they lived off ,in doing so the massive numbers of people shot large numbers of Bison and game ,bearing in mind that the emigrant numbers were in there millions literally millions of Bison and game were shot to feed them.Naturally the natural owners of the land rose against this,the American government started made so many broken promises each time three was an uprising,literally conning the RedIndians from being a relatively peaceful nation naturally having disputes between tribes these at the time being settled with their weapons ,bows and arrows having no guns until the settlers arrived.At first The traded with them in animal skins etc but once they (the settlers )started to demand their lands the uprising started .Could you blame them ? In reading this book the true story is told slowly they we driven from their hunting grounds because of greed for gold and land .Wnen I was a youngsters I used to go to the pictures and liked Westerns you know what I mean Cowboys and Indians.the cowboys were always portraid as the heroes now I'm of an age and know that the truth is entirely different .I have read a great deal of Red Indian culture although their nations are now no longer their ancestors should be very proud and most of them are now educated ,even when the book I have read was first published in the 1970s and many were still living in squalid conditions on reservations I hope that they now get a better deal in life and should feel very proud of their forefathers.
    Not only did it happen to the Red Indians in America, it also happened here in Britain to the Highlanders.

clearances

Fouro.

15. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast