Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Heroes and black hats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Western Heroes and black hats

For those who went to the cowboy flicks,may have wondered how their heroes died with their boots on or off.
    Billy the kid....boots on
    Pat Garrett.....boots on
    Bat Masterson boots off
    Wyatt Earp......boots off
    Wild Bill..........boots on.
    Doc Holliday....boots off
    James gang.....boots on
    Frank James....boots off
    Dalton gang.... boots on mostly
    Clinton gang.....boots on mostly
    John Wesley Hardin..boots on
    Black BART........boots off
    Johnny Ringo....boots on/off
    Boot yard; A cemetery especially for those who died with their boots on, also called a bone yard, bone orchard, grave patch, still yard, and Boot Hill. ... source Dictionary of the American West.

JS

Bengy Roberts Guest

Default Re: Western Heroes and black hats

my favourite cowboy was Randolph scott,,then Joel McCREA

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Glanced at this earlier, had the wrong glasses on:

Thought it read Western Herpes and black hats.

LOL.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bengy, as far as Hollywood cowboys were concerned I had a a similar regard to your own, although Joel Mcrea will always be my No.1 choice. Perhaps it was just his easy-going manner and preparedness to face adversity with such calm assuredness, who knows ? Randolph Scott was also a favourite, but, in later years, he lost some credibility when I learned he was a much gentler soul than I had been led to believe. Still, no matter, as a kid I loved the westerns....still do.

....Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Billy the kid and Pat Garrett..The kid - christened Patrick Henry McCarry in New York City - was a kid, just 21 when he died. It’s said that he was a nice boy and a good dancer. Unfortuanetly he fell under the influence of a young man known as Sombrero Jack, which led to Billy’s first crime at age 16- stealing clothes from a Chinese laundrey in Silver City , New Mexico. He was arrested, but escaped two days later. He worked as a cowhand for the next 2 years until the day he shot his first victim, a blacksmith who had called him a pimp. There was no turning back. Going by Billy the Kid , William H Bonney and a few more aliases , Billy spent the rest of his short life stealing horses, rustling cattle, robbing stage coaches , and killing the occasional lawman here and there .
    In 1880 acting on a tip, Sheriff Pat Garrett found Billy and arrested him and some of his gang. The kid was convicted for the murder of Sheriff William Brady some 3 years before. He was scheduled to be hanged but escaped, killing 2 deputies in the process. Garrett tracked Billy down a few months later, and before the kid had a chance to draw a gun , shot him right through the heart. After he killed Billy Garrett spent the next 28 years or so as a Sheriff, a rancher, a tax collector, and for a time as captain of the Texas Rangers. He bought himself a ranch around 1905, and. Proceeded to run it into the ground.
    When Garrett made plans to sell the ranch to get out of debt in 1908, he was shot to death by a disgruntled tenant.

JWS.

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, robpage liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dyer View Post
    Bengy, as far as Hollywood cowboys were concerned I had a a similar regard to your own, although Joel Mcrea will always be my No.1 choice. Perhaps it was just his easy-going manner and preparedness to face adversity with such calm assuredness, who knows ? Randolph Scott was also a favourite, but, in later years, he lost some credibility when I learned he was a much gentler soul than I had been led to believe. Still, no matter, as a kid I loved the westerns....still do.

....Roger
    Roger ,on U.K. T.V. this week they are broadcasting Randolph Scott films so you are missing out here.
    Have you ever seen Blazing Saddles a spoof western, it still makes me laugh. I tried to post a video clip but came up not available.
    Bill.
    Last edited by Bill Morrison; 17th November 2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: video not available

9. Likes Bill Cameron, Roger Dyer liked this post
    Bengy Roberts Guest

Roger,,still great watching the ole westerns,bengy

11. Likes Roger Dyer liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Post #6 for a link.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Western Heroes and black hats

Bat Masterson...William Barclays (Bat) Masterson began his career as a buffalo hunter and a living story. He killed only 3 people in his career, 2 of them being the men who shot and killed his brother the Dodge City Marshall who was Bat’s older brother this was in 1878.
    Even as a Sheriff, Bat spent most of his free hours in the local gambling halls, which is probably why he was not re-elected when his term ended. He was on the right side of the law for most of his life, but wasn’t really cut out to be a lawman. Later in his chequered career he managed a burlesque troupe and a saloon for a while, but he was fired for drinking too much. In general he was considered a trouble maker whether he was wearing a badge or not
    In 1905 he was appointed US Marshall of southern New York by no less than pres. Teddy Roosevelt . 2 years later he resigned and took a job as sports editor on the morning Telegraph . He made money on the side by buying guns and notching them and selling them as his legendary gun. He died at his news desk October the 25 1921 in his 60s
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th November 2017 at 04:28 AM.

14. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast