Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Ship

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Fastest Ship

John yes of course a ship will gain in a favourable current & following sea. Think about what I said she was nearly 40 years old was on her last cruise why risk engine damage by running her above MCR. Also if she was due to pay off her hull was most likely dragging a carpet around with her as in covered in growth in 2008.
    How many ships masters have flogged the log to get there agreed charter speed up a bit by ringing Standby 2 hours early but keep on full speed and only reducing when they absolutely have to???
    We all know there are ways to give the impression that the actual speed is greater than what it actually is. The noon chitty posted on the passenger notice boards may not actually be the one the master enters in the official log book.
    I am sure one of our navigators could workout favourable currents between Japan & Hawaii. From an engineering point of view I think it most unlikely the QE2 ever did 40 knots in her entire life.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 4th November 2017 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the Kurioshio is a N.E. Current heading o Japan at about 8 knots
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

3. Likes Keith Tindell, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    How many ships masters have flogged the log to get there agreed charter speed up a bit by ringing Standby 2 hours early but keep on full speed and only reducing when they absolutely have to???
    That would not make one iota of difference to the G.A.S (General Average Speed) on an ocean passage.

Flogging the log was mainly restricted to making sure FWE was rung before noon on a Sunday so that we lesser mortals lost a days leave and pay

Lewis McColl Guest

Ivan you have lost me on this one

Flogging the log was mainly restricted to making sure FWE was rung before noon on a Sunday so that we lesser mortals lost a days leave and pay ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This was the system we had in our time at sea, Sunday at sea was 1 days leave and 1 days pay, but you had to be beyond midday on the Sunday, if you were finished with engines before midday, no Sunday at sea, kt

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Ivan you have lost me on this one

Flogging the log was mainly restricted to making sure FWE was rung before noon on a Sunday so that we lesser mortals lost a days leave and pay ???
    Should have added when arriving at a port, perhaps before your time, if you arrived after noon LMT at a port you received a days pay for an S A S (Sunday at Sea)

if you arrived before noon LMT you only received half a days leave, so many masters to keep their owners happy flogged the log, if you arrived before 0800 no payment or leave was accrued

You didn't have to be alongside, as long as the hook was down FWE could be rung, saved the owners a bob or two especially those who ran cargo/passenger vessels with larger crews

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And don't even mention the international date line !!! kt

Lewis McColl Guest

Ah thanks for that when I started we were just paid £xx a month regardless of where you were , but there was always plenty of overtime for which you were never paid.
    Best times was when you did a unit or a liner and on knockoff it was a dirty beer and the C/Eng would put on a case of beer ocs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If my memory is correct, we got one day leave per month, and Sundays at sea, that was it, kt

Lewis McColl Guest

I started in 1969 , never worked out of the pool , straight in as a company man with Ocean Fleets, assume I was on the pool at sometime as I had to get my books? 11 days a month, by the time I finished I was on one for one, took 43 years to get there mind.
    I suspect though that never having sailed on ships out of the pool I may have missed out on a few of life eyes opening expeirences. I enjoy reading some of Kongs posts from his early days at sea, even though we have on occassion crossed swords.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast