Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bridge over Troubled Water

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bridge over Troubled Water

Simon Cowell has produced a record in aid of the Grenfel victims, the record stars I believe 40 UK recording artists.

They chose the song by Simon & Gartfunkell, Bridge Over Troubled Watters, which is (in my opinion) an amazing song, beautiful lyrics.
    The song issued today, sounds like someone has stood on the cats tail an does the old song no justice.
    Even my wife commented that it was crap.
    Regards
    Vic

2. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bridge over Troubled Water

I think that was written at Warrington train station{true} jp

4. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have not heard the lateset version but the original as yousay is so lovely!
    Why do they spoil good songs! In fact why are they allowed to????
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Simon Cowell has produced a record in aid of the Grenfel victims, the record stars I believe 40 UK recording artists.

Regards
    Vic
    It was a beautiful song Vic, it always reminded me of our "Golden Girl" Lillian Board, she was a lovely girl and won two golds and a silver in 1968, tragically she died of cancer in 1970 she was about to get married and Bridge over Troubled Waters was
    played for her in support as sh battled her ilness, I have never forgotten her and can still see her in my minds eye, I can't hear the new version but I'm not surprised that it's beeb spoilt. cheers JF
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st June 2017 at 08:16 PM.

8. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Pruden View Post
    I think that was written at Warrington train station{true} jp
    j,p, a lot of conflicting theory's as to which train station the song was written by Paul Simon, The song you are thinking of was {Homeward Bound } This is from Paul Simon's official website Terry

February 2003
    BBC

An east Devon beauty spot can no longer claim to be the inspiration behind a famous song.

For years Bickleigh Bridge in east Devon had been claimed locally as the bridge which Simon and Garfunkel sang about in their hit, Bridge Over Troubled Water.

But speaking on BBC Radio Devon on Friday Art Garfunkel finally laid the longstanding rumor to rest. Bridge Over Troubled Water has nothing to do with Bickleigh Bridge in East Devon.

The myth has grown to giant proportions over the years, as Simon and Garfunkel - who spent quite some time in England in the 1960s - were known to have visited the area. But the real story behind the song has now been revealed by Art Garfunkel, who is in the UK to promote his new solo album and tour.

Asked by BBC Radio Devon's Judi Spiers, if Bickleigh Bridge IS the bridge in the song, Art said: "No - I'm sorry about that! Bridge Over Troubled Water is a gospel phrase which Paul took from a gospel group. It was in a Baptist church hymn. He liked the phrase and he used it."

The song, which reached Number 1 in 1970, was written by Paul Simon, but it was Art Garfunkel who sang lead vocal so brilliantly. The album of the same name was, in fact, the last one the duo recorded together before they went their separate ways.

However, Art did confirm the story about the origins of Homeward Bound, which starts with the line: "I'm sitting in a railway station..." - Paul Simon DID write the song on Widnes Station
    {terry scouse}

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Every one has tried to copy and sing Simon & Garrfunkel songs some have done them well and some have murdered them

Have a listen to this version of the Sound of Silence, I think it is the best I have ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

12. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Have not heard the lateset version but the original as yousay is so lovely!
    Why do they spoil good songs! In fact why are they allowed to????
    Cheers

Inspired by a single line from a gospel song, Paul Simon's classic Bridge Over Troubled Water has been covered by everyone from Elvis Presley to Aretha Franklin'

Spring 1969: Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were gone – assassinated. Racial tensions were erupting across the US. The war was raging in Vietnam. And Richard Nixon was in the White House.

What was a sensitive singer-songwriter like Paul Simon to do but dig deep for some words of solace? As he gazed out across the East River from the window of his New York apartment, he sang the opening lines he’d had for over a week. ‘When you’re weary/Feeling small/When tears are in your eyes/I will dry them all.’ He especially liked how the melody to the second couplet echoed one of his favourite Bach chorales.

After that promising start, however, there was only the sound of silence.

“I was stuck for a while,” Simon admits. “Everywhere I went led to somewhere I didn’t want to be.”

What ultimately inspired him to finish his “humble little gospel song” was an album by southern gospel group the Swan Silvertones: “Every time I came home, I put that record on, so it was in my mind. I started to go to gospel chord changes, and took the melody further. Then there was one song where the lead singer was scatting, and he shouted out: ‘I’ll be your bridge over deep water/If you trust in my name.’ And, well, I guess I stole it.” Simon couldn’t wait to play his new song for Art Garfunkel. With its sweeping melody and sustained high notes, it would be perfect for his partner’s choirboy-pure voice. Or so he thought.

Garfunkel says: “We’re strong in our musical opinions, and we’ve had lots of differences, but we’ve remained pretty damned gentlemanly all the way.”

“I’ve sung it 6,400 times,” he adds. “And every time, I get a little visitation of the power of a great song. To say: ‘Whoever you are, if you need some solace, I will try to be a moment of sweetness for you,’ this kills me. To be the lucky one to express that, it moves me every damned time.”

K.

14. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were in our days so many great Singers and Groups ,what happened to the great Music?
    I also loved the Small Faces! My favourite being "Itchycoo Park"
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Every one has tried to copy and sing Simon & Garrfunkel songs some have done them well and some have murdered them

Have a listen to this version of the Sound of Silence, I think it is the best I have ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
    Lewis, A great version i agree very strong vocals brilliant..................... This one has just been put in the back ground of a T.V Advert my hero from there last released L.P. Let it be Brilliant sound Terry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jPdb4kJ8M
    {terry scouse}

18. Thanks N/A, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by red lead ted View Post
    Lewis, A great version i agree very strong vocals brilliant..................... This one has just been put in the back ground of a T.V Advert my hero from there last released L.P. Let it be Brilliant sound Terry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jPdb4kJ8M
    When you think of some the songs from back then there is not a lot about these days to compare.

Adele is one of the modern era I would pay money to go and watch, maybe Robbie Williams but cannot think of many more. As for that Rap sit- what is all that about.

20. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast