Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: captain bligh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default captain bligh

channel 4 monday 9 pm.....sas man tries blighs voyage with 400 calories per day ...sounds like one of runcimans ......scouser refuses orders ...lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: captain bligh

I saw a bit on TV But it will not be the same, as the Original.
    I have a copy of Captain Bligh`s Journal of that voyage, There were more men in that over crowded boat, 19 men in all, not enough stores for all those men and certainly not the same quality. AND NO Stand By boat, will one of their men be killed in Tofua??
    Will their diet consist of........." and it would necessitate daily rations of an ounce of bread and a quarter-pint of water for each man."
    also another six men died on arrival in the Dutch East Indies. due to their hardships...
    I guess they are cashing in on a legend,
    As an aside, I have friends descended from the Mutiny,
    Manuraii who is a direct decendent of Mr Midshipman Edward Young who took a Tahitian lady for a bride to Pitcairns and also Jacquie Christian who is descended from Fletcher.

Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 4th March 2017 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well brian it appears that it cannot be the same as blighs voyage ...i can understand that......these guys in general are not of the same fortitude as of years ago ...but most SAS guys would make up for that in determination ....of course i agree it will not be the same but by all accounts it will be worth a look to see there situation.....but then they do have a doctor aboard who suffers quite badly ...and 400 calories is not enough to do much graft on .......but it will be perhaps worth a watch ....i must say the crowd from pitcairn who rowed out in there long boat to trade with us on the cragmooor in57 certainly looked in good nick ....they had pigtails and spoke in what can only be described as olde english interesting time ...they say now it is just for passenger liners and tourists....old captain roberts who JS sailed with seemed to call there whenever he could .....we got big silver fresh fish of them tasted so good .....and a canvas bag was lowered but what was in it i dont know ...regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manuraii now lives in Tahiti and when I was in Pitcairns in 2014 I asked a lady there if she knew Manuraii, she said "Yes, he is my cousin, BUT we never speak to him" she would not tell me why. So even in a small community such as Pitcairns, only 50 people live there now, they still have their arguments.
    Jacqi is the seventh generation Christian, he dad died in 2015.
    Below is a Video of her giving a lecture. so it will give you an idea of how they lived.

https://youtu.be/VKr0l9oX530

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 4th March 2017 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##there was some case of child abuse on pitcairn a few years back the people concerned where taken to oz ...dont know much more than that or what outcome was....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Around 1997 a British Police woman based there discovered whAt was going on. They said in the Polynesian culture a girl is "Broken in" at the age of 12, so what is the problem, So quite a few men were charged and got gaol sentences in New Zealand BUT the island needed those men to survive, I think they were all back on the island soon.
    There was a Legal problem, Tho` Pitcairns is in the British Empire, it was never formally taken in and the Union Jack never planted. so did British Law apply there??
    It was a difficult case both legally and morally,
    When I was there 3 years ago the only law, was one Constable from the New Zealand Police, he stamped our passports for ten US Dollars each.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 4th March 2017 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Following in the footsteps and experiencing the privitations 'my ass' they have a safety boat never more than 3 miles away (to keep it out of accidental camera shot) they have i-phones and probably been training for weeks, where-as the originals were probably malnourished to start with, short of clothing and food on passage and had no idea what the future held for them, even if they thought they had one

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re.post4.
    Impressed by the gentleness ,in the voices, of the ladies.

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These photos have been on here some time ago but they show an early contact.
    The photos at Pitcairn I took on my first trip, next call after Papeete. I was age 15 and that was 71 years ago. The photo of 'Bounty Day' on Norfolk Island would have been about the same time as I was given it by a descendant who is still around, I understand. She and I were pen friends for some years after I was on the Sydney/Lord Howe Island/Norfolk Island/New Hebrides (now Vanuatu) and return run in 1948/49. The photo of the 'Bounty' replica in Papeete I took in mid 1961 when M and I went on leave from Suva, Fiji to Sydney (the long way round!). It twas there with a mob of film makers.
    Fantastic!
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''sadly i see no pigtails richard which i did see in 57 ...regards cappy

12. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post