Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Driven Cars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Battery Driven Cars

As countries around the world have been encouraging the development of battery driven cars to cut down
    air pollution etc, they have become more popular and sales of electric vehicles are ever increasing. Cobalt is
    a necessary element in the construction of the Lithium batteries used to power the cars, it seems now that
    a group of Hedge Funds have cottoned on to this and are now stockpiling cobalt and are estimated to have
    some 6,000 tonnes stored away worth around $280 million, so they will end up causing a shortage which will
    hold up production and prices will go through the roof, of course it will be the man on the street who ends up
    paying for it, they say more power stations will be needed to generate the extra power required for recharging the cars, I think it's worth remembering that the cars will only be as clean as the power stations emissions,
    funny old world aint it. Cheers John F

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Battery Driven Cars

John, I have been arguing for years that electric cars pollute, because they require power from power stations. I have always been shot down,
    Lithium batteries have an average of 1000 charges before they require replacing.
    I know it is difficult, try and see the small print when they advertise electric cars on TV. You pay a monthly rental charge for the batteries, presumably when they fail they are replaced free of charge as long as the rental has been paid.
    Regards
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vic, I haven't heard of the battery rental scheme before, as I don't drive now it was only a matter of interest but I
    saw that the American Tesla model s has a small petrol engine that kicks in to charge the batteries when needed so it
    can travel much further without the need to stop lovely looking car as well. Cheers John F

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnf Collier View Post
    Hi Vic, I haven't heard of the battery rental scheme before, as I don't drive now it was only a matter of interest but I
    saw that the American Tesla model s has a small petrol engine that kicks in to charge the batteries when needed so it
    can travel much further without the need to stop lovely looking car as well. Cheers John F
    Well good news mate as you will be able to have a car that drives you without having to worry about anything. Just think I can resort back to my younger days and head of to the pub and get legless without having to worry about getting booked for DUI LOL. No more driving up north to get the grand kids just send the car up there and bring them back or I could go in it and have a kip while going up there. Yep win win win. Watch the rules get changed quickly to overcome all this.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not on Electric (Battery) Driven Cars but see in the News here that now the Diesel Car Sales are on the decline because of Pollution! Thank goodness I never bought one ,I always preferred Petrol ones!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th February 2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnf Collier View Post
    Stand to be corrected but think Tesla were designed and built in Holland and are very expensive

9. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Renault charge £40 per month to rent the battery for there electric cars.

Colin

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

How is the electricity made for them ?

K.

13. Likes thomas michael, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet somewhere some twerp is seriously thinking along these lines Les, I think the whole idea is crazy except for one thing
    and that is, the cars probably drive better than some of the maniacs around here, personally I don't think I'd want to be in a
    driverless car for real, still keep those happy dreams going about your younger days mate, . . Cheers John F

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#I do know the Tesla factory is at Fremont California whether they have a plant in Holland I don't know, I first got
    interested in them as the eye surgeon at the private clinic had one it was a cracker at that time they cost £80,000
    to buy in the UK probably import duties etc added to the already high price, as far as I know it is an all American
    company. John F

16. Likes Doc Vernon, thomas michael, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast