Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: queens new years honours list

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default queens new years honours list

probably going to upset a few members on here, but i am glad to see that Prof Scraton, chairman of the hilsborough committee has declined his OBE in the new year queens honour list. A totally outdated and pointless exercise in my opinion. a buttering up of the same class of people except for a smattering of common people. just my personnel opinion, others may differ, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: queens new years honours list

Well said Keith.
    My thoughts completely.
    Ron the batcave

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too many Celebrities, Politicians and Fat Cats, are involved year in, year out. The real deserving people get nothing, its all a joke. Muttley Medals come to mind.

OBE = Other Buggers Efforts

MBE = My Bloody Efforts

BEM = Been to Every Meeting.

Last edited by Chris Allman; 29th December 2016 at 09:47 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Keith at Tregenna Guest

I BET, POSH SPICE Victoria Beckham will not turn her nose up much further: She has been named on the Queen's Honours List for 2017 for her contributions to the fashion world and her charity work ?

The ex-Spice Girl told her family at Christmas she will be named in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours List.

But people who receive honours are supposed to stick to a strict embargo on revealing the news.

Victoria will reportedly follow in the footsteps of her ex-footballer husband David, who received an OBE in 2003.

But INTERNET trolls were quick to slam the former pop star, claiming she does not deserve the accolade.

One said: “Services to fashion? How ridiculous.”

Another wrote: “There’s more deserving people who should get an honour, lots of unsung heroes.”

?

k.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I dont get a Knighthood this time you can Ban it.

It seems that the only people who get one , live overseas and are Tax Dodgers, in showbiz.
    a knighthood, is not worth anything today they have made it so cheap.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blame politics for that Brian. Bliar if you remember was accused of selling them to foreign investors to his so called party funds. The Queen herself has little say, although she does have her own Orders in which she personally awards. A Brief explanation of a knighthood--- A youth destined to follow a military career normally began his apprenticeship as a page attending tournaments and ceremonies. He learned the techniques of war as a squire, following his patron on campaigns as banner and weapon bearer. When fully proficient, he was ready for knighthood and received the accolade by being touched on the shoulder with a flat sword. Although Knights who are members of an Order take precedence over Knights Bachelor, members of the latter group belong to the most ancient title of Honour known in Britain.
    Can you imagine any of the recipients today matching up to past standards. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4... Keith your statement of a strict embargo on letting people know has its points to a certain extent. First the letter sent out is In Confidence, You are then informed and asked if you will accept. You then have to sign a form to this affect. The final paragraph is " If you agree that your name should go forward and the Queen accepts the Prime Ministers Recommendation, the announcement will be made in the New Years Honours List. You will receive no further communication before the list is published. I am, Sir your obedient servant.......Signed Until the person in question receives the Gong they could be counting their chickens. Most ordinary people who receive I would imagine play by the rules as far as they can, people lose gongs in later life due to bad behaviour, so they are not going to get one if considered being that way inclined before receiving. However it would be a hard thing ashore to hide as even the postman would have a good idea what was in the envelope with all the writings on from where it was dispatched and the warnings it was for the addressee only. My wife opened the envelope a month before I saw as was away at sea and had to go public over the air on a Radio Telephone call to Downing Street as was late in getting a reply to them and was the only way possible, a couple of days later Maggy left Downing Street. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th December 2016 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1.... Certainly doesn't upset me Keith, we live in a Democracy. As for Professor Scraton if the truth was really known he probably expected a CBE at least, away from those of lower standards to himself. I've seen these would be heroes with their wants and demands the House of Lords and Parliament are full of them. They all want the social standards maintained. Even the book I quote from describes each order and grade and who are recipreants of. The British Empire, the Merchant Navy is named as one of the larger recipreants of. So everyone in his or her place, all neat and tidy. I couldn't care less one way or another, but certainly enjoyed my day at the palace with some of the good company there. However in the waiting vestibule each group kept to its own. The group I was with and at further meetings elsewhere to receive awards, were all just too pleased to be alive. Medals are for those who think they look good wearing them and are probably too vain to know what they are supposed to represent.
    One of the non Royal Orders I am in I hold the rank of eminent Knight and am satisfied it is a made up rank that had to be worked for as many of all nationalities hold the same all over the world. One of the letters I appreciated which received from Malcolm Rifkind the Minister for Transport at the time, who had the good sense to encompass the British Merchant Service as a whole and I quote in part.
    Dear Mr. Sabourn,
    It was with great pleasure that I learned that her Majesty has appointed you a Member of the Order of The British Empire in recognition of the services you rendered during the "Piper Alpha" rescue operations. This is a signal honour and marks the best traditions of the Merchant-Navy.
    Please accept my congratulations and best wishes for the future.
    Yours sincerely
    Malcolm Rifkind.
    I don't particularly like the man neither do the Russians apparently as he was barred from going there not too far back. However he refers to the Merchant Navy as it should be, all those old timers taught me years ago did play out for a few hours and it is to them that we should give thanks. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th December 2016 at 05:24 AM.

10. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably Scraton is working on the Beetles Theory which most must know, refuse the lower and wait for the higher. JS

12. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we had a male nurse in blue funnel looking back he must have been about 24 insisted on the young lads calling him sir he asked me did I have my inoculations I said no? he said no what? no I haven't I said you call me sir he said? that made it worse no not me a captain yes a nurse no the needle went in right to the bone I just looked him right in the eye all the time? if you had a good upbringing your manners speak for themselves . why we still have all these letters after your name is beyond me and should be scrapped .. jp

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast