Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: queens new years honours list

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: queens new years honours list

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Ken Dodd has done lots of charity work for many many years plus entertained the people for years but you can bet your life he will not get a mention since he had a run in with the taxman.He has done a lot more than Victoria Beckham and a lot more than who have received them and who will receive them.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Some good news Jim, Arise Sir Ken Dodd he is on the new years honours list after all and is to be knighted .
    Really chuffed for him JC
    Last edited by John F Collier; 30th December 2016 at 11:12 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

It's Sir Ken! After 27 years of believing he was blacklisted for his notorious run-in with the taxman comedian Ken Dodd, 89, is FINALLY recognised in the New Year's honours.

Ken Dodd is 'tickled' after he was awarded a knighthood at the age of 89.

Also honoured are actress Patricia Routledge, famous for playing character Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances
    Kinks star Ray Davies said he was 'a bit embarrassed' to be knighted
    Computer scientist Anne-Marie Imafidon is among those to be given MBEs.

Ken Dodd knighted in New Year's honours after 27 years of believing he was blacklisted | Daily Mail Online

3. Likes N/A, Jim Brady liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#14, Chris, Lynn Faulds Wood And Prof Phil Scraton are refusing their honours because they object to the term "British Empire" Mmm, How can I put this politely.......... Naff off then.

As for Ken Dodd, long overdue.True professional with the cleverest double entendres. Usually runs overtime on stage.

5. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23, He has been a class act for so many years now Marian and he can still get them laughing at 89, I agree with you,
    his knighthood is thoroughly deserved and long overdue, a great stand up comedian with a great singing voice to go with it. congratulations Sir Ken. JC

7. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #4... Keith your statement of a strict embargo on letting people know has its points to a certain extent. First the letter sent out is In Confidence, You are then informed and asked if you will accept. You then have to sign a form to this affect. The final paragraph is " If you agree that your name should go forward and the Queen accepts the Prime Ministers Recommendation, the announcement will be made in the New Years Honours List. You will receive no further communication before the list is published. I am, Sir your obedient servant.......Signed Until the person in question receives the Gong they could be counting their chickens. Most ordinary people who receive I would imagine play by the rules as far as they can, people lose gongs in later life due to bad behaviour, so they are not going to get one if considered being that way inclined before receiving. However it would be a hard thing ashore to hide as even the postman would have a good idea what was in the envelope with all the writings on from where it was dispatched and the warnings it was for the addressee only. My wife opened the envelope a month before I saw as was away at sea and had to go public over the air on a Radio Telephone call to Downing Street as was late in getting a reply to them and was the only way possible, a couple of days later Maggy left Downing Street. Cheers JS
    Hi John .
    So now we know, you were responsible for Maggie's demise.
    Cheers Des

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, j.sabourn, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Des I voted for her three times as she was the best choice going each time , she did however let me and others down when she revoked an old Law about taxing seamens travelling expenses, taking away all travel entitlements. Made statements to the press which she knew nothing about re disaster in the North Sea. Apart from the shades of Lady Aster and the views she held, it was time for her to go, but the muppet who took her place was much worse so really was jumping out of the fireplace into the fire. Ever since I fail to see any PM who has the semblance of a brain. Cheers you will be one of the first to see the New Year in so all the best, you have a head start on everyone else, trying to think of a Robbie Burns saying but cant at the moment, the one about breeks would be appropriate, maybe Marian can remember. All the Best JS

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This post seems to have had a lot of cross feelings about it, anyone can put up anyone else for an award. So if feel about so much should get up a petition and hand in to Downing Street. I quote the official statement made re The Honours System.. One paragraph from a page." Anyone can recommend virtually anyone else for an honour. In theory there is nothing to prevent a person submitting their own name ( Get in there Brian before you bar knighthoods) Although it is pretty unlikely that an application for a peerage will succeed by this method."
    For those whose refusal is based on the word Empire as an excuse, I would go the other way and say History is a very important role in the Honours system. I think it is very boorish in most cases of a person refusing especially when so many have probably put their time and effort into promoting the honour for their friend or mentor or whatever. The few who do get their name in the press for refusal probably have ulterior motives than that what is said, the press must love them. I wonder if they also refuse presents at Xmas. However it is their chosen loss and hope if they ever get the opportunity again they continue to refuse, but my guess is they are more like the Beetles and other pop groups. Anyhow the initial papers in confidence are for the recipient how come they have divulged to the press before the 31st December. They themselves according to the procedure must have blabbed to the press, if was me would have said nothing in any case. There are people and there are people who want private and personal matters made public. These people should be sent to Coventry and not cause ill feeling amongst others. In the first place by their statements to the press do not in any manner or form deserve anything apart from their wages which I hope they worked for. For all those receiving awards together with the millions who are not A happy and prosperous New Year. This being the year hopefully when people remember we did at one time have an Empire and some of us are still proud of. Rule Brittania. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st December 2016 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23... Marian a few years ago it was rumoured that Britain was going to succumb to the Euro Parliament and have the words British Empire replaced with British Endeavour ( believe there was a ship called that) there was a bit of an outcry about this and was dropped for the time being. Those in UK who also think the word Empire should be replaced are probably members of that group the Remainers. Whatever will be will be, myself being very mercenary see that if the remainers and Euro lovers did get their way, would maybe put more value in years to come of the Official Warrant describing the Empire in its wording. So along with bent bananas and Empire are my official barrier against those in Europe staying in their own burrows. Brian would put a ferret down there as well. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st December 2016 at 02:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN PRUDEN View Post
    we should put brains the site owner down for letters after his name for giving us this great site giving us old farts{well use lot} a purpose for getting through the day.. jp
    Hi John.
    Brian gets the Gold Medal of the Empire of Australia from me and I'm sure the rest of his Australian crew members.
    Cheers Des

15. Likes j.sabourn, John Pruden, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mine must be lost in the post.... jp

17. Likes Captain Kong, j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast