Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: rail unions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: rail unions

"The Luddites were 19th-century English textile workers (or self-employed weavers who feared the end of their trade) who protested against newly developed labor-economizing technologies, primarily between 1811 and 1816. The stocking frames, spinning frames and power looms introduced during the Industrial Revolution replaced them with less-skilled, low-wage laborers, leaving them without work". "With the onset of the information age, Luddite gained a broader sense describing anyone who shuns new technology."

"NOUN. Luddite.

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology:

Luddites could be considered the first victims of corporate downsizing. A few weeks ago I posted about the introduction of the automobile and the end of an industry built around the horse: equipment, saddles, bridles, blacksmithing, etc. transportation; hansom cabs, drays, teamsters, etc.; However the auto and train replacement industries probably increased the workforce a hundred fold: Steel mills, ore mining, auto and train manufacturing, etc. A multitude of small manufacturing companies providing parts to the general assembler, repairers, mechanics, body shop, sales, advertising and jobs not even dreamt about when the horse was king of the road.

As an example, office copy typists have been replaced by the inventing, manufacturing and servicing of copy machines. Only a few years ago, if you required a copy of a document it was off to the copy shop or public library and pay your quarter or fifty-p per sheet, today it's common to own a copy/fax in one's home. There's jobs in robotics from the engineers who invent them to packagers and shippers in say Amazon etc.. The world is moving at lightning speed, but trade goods don't grow on trees—Fruit is the exception—for the time being at least. New opportunities are all around, but today it does require more education than most of us had.

Today it's Three D Printing that's copying and actually printing machinery parts; Somebody will have to sell the printers, repair, operate, and ship the goods a whole new industry that will replace small manufacturing...until it too is replaced by a better idea. Somewhere within 3D printing, robotics, computers, etc. etc. is a job at any level, from inventor to floor sweeper.

I'm not implying that if you are against new industries you are a Luddite. To be called a Luddite has entered the vernacular, I'm called one because I'm hopeless at fixing things, I belong to the school of crazy glue and duck tape, if they don't do the job, buy a new one. My wife fixes most broken things in our household.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###before anyone gets upset i am writing this poem in a sense of humour.......
    ####it was xmas eve at the union shop
    a member standing there
    a hole in his shoes no hat on his head
    and the cheeks of his bum were bare
    ive come for my union dues he cried perhaps a nice plum duff
    the door creaked slowly open
    and there stood pete the puff
    his hand came from his pocket
    and down he threw a plum
    the member went to pick it up
    YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM

3. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

sense of humour ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney. I have spent the last 15 mins. looking an article I copied off the internet on 3D printing can't find it at the moment. Basically it was about the three forms of printing available at the present time. You can just about manufacture anything in plastics or metal provided you can write a computer programme. The cost of a printer has been drastically reduced in resent years to a point where it is affordable to most of us depending what you wish to produce, from about £100 to £1000 GBP's in the U.K. The good thing is you can also buy programmes to load the printer with from various sites. If you are into model making in a big way worth looking into.

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill, many criminals are printing guns now with one of those.
    The medical Profession are also printing parts for transplants in humans.
    so there is good as well as bad.
    Brian

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Luddite nature has lived with human beings since creation. Some people see things positively and embrace it. On the other hand others are very negative and will oppose everything for the sake of opposing. Technology if used carefully can be a huge asset, but if used without wisdom it can and will consume everything.
    Nowadays we have got the modern version of Luddites who indeed invent "machines" in the form of computer viruses, cyberworms and other malaware to disrupt and cause havoc to technologies they don't like.

FOURO.

10. Likes cappy, Captain Kong, N/A, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill.
    I'm looking for a computer program that will be able to make a copy of me as I was 70 years ago, then I will get a program that will transplant my present life force into that body, if it's successful I will then do the same for my wife. I think we are onto something great here. In the meantime I will struggle on enjoying this site.
    Cheers Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 21st December 2016 at 12:37 AM.

12. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19