Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 0ld times

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 0ld times

We had a hold up 200 metres from where I live at the local Fish and Chip shop, a further 200 metres is the Beach. When I went for the paper this morning the lady in the shop next door told me and said what was the world coming to. She also said did I know that if a car pulled into a garage for petrol and drove off without paying, and the bill was under 80 dollars, the police did not follow this up. Also all the crooks knew this. As it so happened I was at some function this morning which had a chief Inspector of police giving a lecture of policing in WA. I brought this up. He knew about the hold up, and gave an answer to the petrol thieving and still don't know if true or not. The hold up was probably under a string of armed robberys and would have to wait its turn, was the way I read it. On the other hand the police I think are in short demand and should be increased, and more visibility of them on the streets. The robberys are usually drug related. The President of the Philipines has the answer as far as I can see, to date think he has had about 800 shot. To hold up a fish and chip shop they must be really getting hard up, they don't open until 1700 hrs and was held up at 2000 hrs cant have been very much in the till. JWS

2. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    We had a hold up 200 metres from where I live at the local Fish and Chip shop, a further 200 metres is the Beach. When I went for the paper this morning the lady in the shop next door told me and said what was the world coming to. She also said did I know that if a car pulled into a garage for petrol and drove off without paying, and the bill was under 80 dollars, the police did not follow this up. Also all the crooks knew this. As it so happened I was at some function this morning which had a chief Inspector of police giving a lecture of policing in WA. I brought this up. He knew about the hold up, and gave an answer to the petrol thieving and still don't know if true or not. The hold up was probably under a string of armed robberys and would have to wait its turn, was the way I read it. On the other hand the police I think are in short demand and should be increased, and more visibility of them on the streets. The robberys are usually drug related. The President of the Philipines has the answer as far as I can see, to date think he has had about 800 shot. To hold up a fish and chip shop they must be really getting hard up, they don't open until 1700 hrs and was held up at 2000 hrs cant have been very much in the till. JWS
    ###are you coddin ...or is this a red herring........cappy

4. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    The prudential also was a money lender as could get a clothing cheque for say 2 pounds and pay back at 2 bob a week. That's how we got clothed. JWS
    It was the Provident John,thats the company where I was office manager.We moved on a bit from the 2 bob a week,as a matter of interest we lost money giving the customer say £1.00 as we gave the collector s1/7d (one shilling and sevenpence) to collect that pound back.The money came from the shopkeeper where the check (not cheque) was spent,we took half a crown in the pound off the shopkeeper,thats why it was always said if you are spending cash never go in a shop that takes checks they have put half a crown in the pound on their prices to cover what the Provi take off them.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

6. Thanks cappy, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The way the world is getting that soft on crime is not the cops fault, they do finally catch some of them so some stupid magistrate can be the good guy and give them a tiddler of a sentence. When what they should get is a whale of a physical hiding. Bring back capital punishment put a bit of fear into their miserable existence and show it doesn't pay to go round frightening old ladys. Thinking of putting a 6 inch spike through my baseball bat. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23... You are correct Jim. Knew my memory was going. Was the Wifes Grandfather who was the Prudential agent., and my old man used to drink in the local with the Provident club man. They probably drank some of the money he collected and paid at a later date. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##it used to be called the never never......cappy

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the kids were on the step and the collector called she would say to the kid tell your mam it's the Provident woman,the kid would shout in mam its the Prodestant woman.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great reading and memories in this string. Now at 85 I wouldn't want to be young again for youngsters have problems which we perhaps never had. Most want to be into IT and to be the CEO from day 1 so taking a trade job is a no-no in many instances. Brickies and plumbers seem to be on the way out though greatly in demand. In long-past days we used to say a Uni degree was necessary to get a job behind a UK Woolworths counter, now a Masters would be required for a lesser job in some instances. I go along with John A E and wish them all well for their futures for things may not become any easier.

13. Likes cappy, N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John #21, similar here in Victoria, crimes commited and slack a**d judges not giving decent sentences. One guy who broke into a house, terrorised the residenst, stole money and their car got three months as the judge thought he was not ealy a bad man!!

Short of police and state 'dictator' posing as premier said we will get 500 more. Problem is it takes aboyt 2 years fron first aplication to first day on the beat and the police academy can only process 500 per year.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ken Dodd.
    A man hears loud banging on his front door,he opens the front door and the guy on the step grabs him by the throat and demands come to the door quicker in future and come on now and pay up.Who are you ask's the householder to which the man replied "I'm from The Royal Liver Friendly Society".
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast