Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The feminisation of men

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The feminisation of men

One cargo we carried from Liverpool to South America was Lanolin in huge cardboard drums. One trip outward bound in the Bay of Biscay we got a right hammering and some of the drums of lanolin got damaged. We got sent down the hold to try and tidy up. We found the lanolin and the Bosun got the lads to go and get any clean containers they could , empty food tins etc and we all filled them up with the lanolin. Wow, it was brilliant stuff, no more chapped hands, instant healing with sun burn - I think if they could have got one of those drums out of the hold and into the bosun's stores they would have. We all had our little stores of the stuff and we the cadets managed to get enough to last us about four trips. Trouble was it did soften the skin on our hands so they were more prone to cuts etc but the lanolin healed any cuts and grazes very quickly.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can vouch for that Chris, a few years ago we were sent on to the beach to recover a drum of lanolin, who knows, maybe one of those of which you speak. It has a thousand and one uses, I used it on a lot of fittings on my small boat to prevent rust, it was put on my gate hinges etc etc, kt

4. Thanks Chris Allman, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re. #5 -- They are all living in New Zealand !! Regards Peter in NZ

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#6 Jim this red Lifebouy soap you mentioned is that the same as the carbolic soap that came in a large block?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian this was issued on some ships it was for getting washed with and in fact we had it at home.There was a carbolic soap with was used for cleaning.We were mostly issued with Imperial Leather I think it was,we had that on a tanker and they sold Lifebuoy in the bond which we bought for some reason.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

1220499.jpg

PS.Remember when we used to say lend me your palm-olive not on your life-buoy.
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 5th December 2015 at 10:40 PM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2... Brian a little dab of Crème De Menthe behind the ears might make you attractive to the opposite sex, in fact if you put a drop in the ear you might even get an exploratory long sexy tongue looking for it. On the other hand could drink the bottle yourself and dream of days long past. Whether the tongue was male or female you would have to take your chances these days. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th December 2015 at 02:55 AM.

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

#16, Mmm, giving away your secrets here John

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10... Come on Ivan they used to say its not the width its the quality, or, big man big #### small man all ####. I am about your height and twice your girth and you are giving me an inferior complex. Ref. previous post re C.O.2 emissions are you sure your girl in Rio was not responsible for some of todays overcast skies. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards cigarettes was considered puffy to smoke ones with filters on. Remember my old man being offered a cigarette by this woman at a bus stop when they were in short supply. First thing he did was tear the filter off. only in much later life did I smoke cigarettes with same. Rolling tobacco, or cigar, or capstan full strength, probably why all my teeth dropped out. Never could get away with chewing tobacco though. As for Talcum powder anything of a white powder form used to get out of the medicine locker, so probably went ashore covered in flea powder. Anyhow in the dark celubrious clubs I frequented probably no one noticed, all one could see was the whites of peoples eyes, so if yours were bloodshot is probably why everyone was bumping into you. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Jim Brady;217943]We were mostly issued with Imperial Leather I think it was,we had that on a tanker and they sold Lifebuoy in the bond which we bought for some reason.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

1220499.jpg

In PSNC we cadets were issued with Yardleys soap, a complete luxury for us on £6 per month (used to leave mum £2. 10s of that) we used to buy Lifebuoy from Timothy Whites before sailing and save our Yardleys for currency in the bars down the WCSA, as it was very expensive ashore, you've heard of 'fill my soul with hope' in South America it was 'fill my hole with soap', so that may also be applicable to Imperial Leather as well Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    # previous post re C.O.2 emissions are you sure your girl in Rio was not responsible for some of todays overcast skies. Cheers JS
    John, it was very overcast when she was on top!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast