Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aliens

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Aliens

The first recorded Alien (those from a different planet, not the crowds trying to get into the U.K. these days) event occurred in 1801 in, of all places, Hull. A brilliant blue light was said to have lit up the sky over Hull and small black objects were seen to be flying around but there is no report of any contact with the Aliens.
    This was in the Sunday Express today.
    Now I have been into Hull docks, also Saltend and Immingham, a number of times and can honestly say I was not impressed with the place beyond seeing the Humber bridge been constructed. So I find it unsurprising that no Aliens landed nor attempted to meet up with the Locals.
    And to add fuel to the fire I have lit in disparaging Hull,
    I was never impressed with Liverpool or Southampton......so there
    rgds
    JA

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Aliens

Interesting stuff John.
    Watch out for 'incoming'.
    If i were you, I think I would go hide among the refugees!

4. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, John Arton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

on a slightly different note,
    Dennis are you pulling for the west in the Grey Cup today? years ago we would all here in winnipeg be going to a party to watch it on the TV. but these days what with drinking and driving, no smoking etc. everyone stays at home now. (except those who have tickets for the game).
    we shall watch it and pull for the west, (go Edmonton go !!).
    some of you may not know what the Grey Cup is so.......it is the equivelent to the F.A. cup final in the UK. only played under Canadian Football Rules, very much like American football. teams are from the East vs. the West of Canada. the venue moves from city to city each year.
    this year it is being held in Winnipeg with a nice cool tempreture of -5c. that should keep them hopping.
    keith moody
    R635978

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

keith, must say I hate the name redblacks, they could have picked a better one, don't really follow the north American football.
    but will have to root for the east, they did exceptionally well this year, last year their first they only won two games... we shall see
    regards, stan.

8. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stan, I think the west (edmonton) will win, they have the strongest team and have won a number of times. as i don`t drink I will have to bet you a pint of Lemonade that i will be the winner.
    keith

10. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Similarly I would suggest that Grimsby is also suitably named (at least these days)... very grim place.

SDG

12. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I was in Immingham many many times while on the coast, it impressed me so much I can't remember a thing about the place, there again I can't remember much these days about many of the ports I visited.
    Cheers Des

14. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by keith moody View Post
    on a slightly different note,
    Dennis are you pulling for the west in the Grey Cup today? years ago we would all here in winnipeg be going to a party to watch it on the TV. but these days what with drinking and driving, no smoking etc. everyone stays at home now. (except those who have tickets for the game).
    we shall watch it and pull for the west, (go Edmonton go !!).
    some of you may not know what the Grey Cup is so.......it is the equivelent to the F.A. cup final in the UK. only played under Canadian Football Rules, very much like American football. teams are from the East vs. the West of Canada. the venue moves from city to city each year.
    this year it is being held in Winnipeg with a nice cool tempreture of -5c. that should keep them hopping.
    keith moody
    R635978
    Was in Toronto when Calgary played Ottawa in the grey cup final one year. Loads of Calgary supporters arrived in horse drawn wagons and were lighting fires and having barbies in the parks etc. One Calgary supporter took his horse into the big hotel there (C.P. Hotel I think), took it up in the baggage lift and then walked it down the stairs before hitching it up to the bar and ordering a drink....true, I was there.
    Fantastic atmosphere with rival fans just partying unlike what you used to get at U.K. footy matches at that time.
    Toronto....well impressed with that city and people.
    rgds
    JA

16. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nearly all docks around the world are situated in the poorest parts of towns and city's ( except for the passenger liners ) so we often get a misleading impression. A hidden jewel I found on an iron ore boat was Workington, like being back in Kiwi.

18. Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    Nearly all docks around the world are situated in the poorest parts of towns and city's ( except for the passenger liners ) so we often get a misleading impression. A hidden jewel I found on an iron ore boat was Workington, like being back in Kiwi.
    Louis
    Used to run into Workington with chemicals for Kodak Eastman. Great run ashore, the pub nearest the docks never shut. There was a Moroccan tanker that regularly used to bring phosphoric acid into Workington along with cannabis. They all got nabbed one trip.
    Getting in through the harbour gate was fun, swing in the outer basin and then back down through the gate and onto the berth. Anything from the south west usually meant the harbour was closed so you could spend a couple of days waiting for better weather. I used to phone the pilot and ask him if it was going to o.k. for him to sail us and by gentlemen's agreement, if he had had a heavy night on the pizz or had hooked up (again) with a new lady, we would agree that the weather was still to rough to sail.
    It was certainly a wild place and some of the nights we had there cannot be repeated here.
    Happy days
    rgds
    JA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast