Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dutch widows

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dutch widows

Can anyone , in the Catering dept. on passenger ships in the 50s remember Dutch Widows in passengers beds.
    I remember on passenger ships in the 50s , before air con, I asked a steward , what are those, as I looked through a passengers window and he was making up the bed, and he said it was a Dutch Pillow, they have it between their legs when it is hot so they do not sweat.
    I mentioned it to HER, SHE said rubbish on the tinternet this is what it says,...........
    Link to this page:
    Dutch widow rate this definition: (Adult / Slang)
    Obsolete, the British term for a prostitute derived from an analogy to mechanical Dutch Wives and Dutch Husbands. life-sized machines used for masturbation. See protitute for synonyms.
    dutch widow rate this definition: (Adult / Slang)

Was it just a round tubular pillow that I saw or as it is described as above if it was then the company was providing extra comforts for the passengers
    We never got any.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dutch widows

Never came across that and I was in many cabins on passenger ship s Tourist and 1st Class.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    PS I wonder did this have anything todo with a Dutch Oven !!!
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should have asked if the Dutch Widows wore Dutch Caps. Wouldnt need a pillow between the legs then. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it was on the TARKWA, one of Elder Dempsters, in 1953. running down West Africa.
    It was a round tube about 8 inches in diameter and a couple of feet in length and when they lie on their side they have it between their knees or thighs to keep them apart so the dont sweat as much. That is what the steward told me. I have not come across one since.
    Cheers
    Brian

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhufuren

A Bamboo wife, or Dutch wife, or Zhufuren (竹夫人), Jukbuin (죽부인, 竹夫人), or Chikufujin (竹夫人?), is a hollow bamboo bolster roughly the size of a human body.The origin of the English term "Dutch wife" is thought to be from the Dutch colony of Indonesia where Dutch traders would spend long periods away from their wives. Bamboo wives are typically hand-woven from bamboo cane.In the summer heat, the open bamboo structure is cooler to the touch than fabric pillows or sheets. The Dutch wife is embraced by the user, as one would a sleeping companion—this position exposes the maximum amount of the body to cooling breezes. This and other devices, such as pillows of a similar shape, may also alleviate lower back pain when placed between the legs during sleep periods. Bamboo wife and their variants in other countries have their origin and use in East Asia and Southeast Asia, tropical regions with hot, humid seasons.They are now less popular to the point of extinction, possibly due to the prevalence of air conditioning. As a replacement for Dutch wives made from bamboo, they can also be made of cotton or other synthetic fiber. Dutch wives made of cotton or other synthetic fiber are still widely used in Indonesia.One definition of Dutch Wife is : An open frame constructed of cane, originally used in the Dutch East Indies and other hot countries to rest the limbs in bed; also a bolster used for the same purpose. Called thus because it was round, fat and just lay there.

In culture[edit]
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian I wonder if what you seen was a long bolster that could be put down one side of the bunk in bad weather to restrict the movement of being rolled around.Sometimes we put the life jacket under the outside of the mattress to keep us against the bulkhead in bad weather.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes John Albert Evans liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont think it was a bolster Jim.
    It was only about two feet in length, maybe some of the older UCL men came across them
    Cheers
    Brian

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Brian, cann't help, never heard of them, mind you I've never sailed on a passenger ship either.

John

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of them then are now walking around Torquay

15. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhufuren

A Bamboo wife, or Dutch wife, or Zhufuren (竹夫人), Jukbuin (죽부인, 竹夫人), or Chikufujin (竹夫人?), is a hollow bamboo bolster roughly the size of a human body.The origin of the English term "Dutch wife" is thought to be from the Dutch colony of Indonesia where Dutch traders would spend long periods away from their wives. Bamboo wives are typically hand-woven from bamboo cane.In the summer heat, the open bamboo structure is cooler to the touch than fabric pillows or sheets. The Dutch wife is embraced by the user, as one would a sleeping companion—this position exposes the maximum amount of the body to cooling breezes. This and other devices, such as pillows of a similar shape, may also alleviate lower back pain when placed between the legs during sleep periods. Bamboo wife and their variants in other countries have their origin and use in East Asia and Southeast Asia, tropical regions with hot, humid seasons.They are now less popular to the point of extinction, possibly due to the prevalence of air conditioning. As a replacement for Dutch wives made from bamboo, they can also be made of cotton or other synthetic fiber. Dutch wives made of cotton or other synthetic fiber are still widely used in Indonesia.One definition of Dutch Wife is : An open frame constructed of cane, originally used in the Dutch East Indies and other hot countries to rest the limbs in bed; also a bolster used for the same purpose. Called thus because it was round, fat and just lay there.

In culture[edit]
    That last sentence Rob, could conjure up all manner of lewd and disrespectful comments from one or two of our members.
    Gilly
    R635733

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast