Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: History of Britain being omitted by Brussels.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: History of Britain being omitted by Brussels.

Quote Originally Posted by FOURO View Post
    Why is it schoolchildren leaving school nowadays are almost completely ignorant of British history?. In the pages of a history book most of us would expect Britain's role in the years 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 to at least warrant a mention. However, in such a book produced by Brussels, there is NO mention of WW1 or WW2 in the section referring to Britain. The glaring omission consigns key events such as the Battle of Britain, the Blitz, Dunkirk and D Day to the dustbin. There is no mention of the pivotal role Britain played in shaping the future of Europe. Nothing of note is recorded as happening in Britain early in the twentieth century, with the Great War conspicuous by its absence. The book allocates four pages to each of the twenty eight members of the EU. I think it is ludicrous that we should get the same coverage as somewhere like Estonia. The whole history of Scotland warrants only one and a half lines. What a disgrace this should come to light in the Centenary Year of World War One.

FOURO.
    I don't know how many times I have read about either Hong Kong or mainland Chinese rioting or burning Japanese business's down when the Japanese Government wish to revise their school history books about the invasion of China and their part in the second world war. I was always led to believe that the Victors of war wrote the history of conflicts so that future generations will remember the sacrifices of their ancestors. present governments across Europe would obviously prefer otherwise. This seems to include most of the U.K. political parties. I am not condoning civil insurrection but I do understand why the Chinese reacted the way they did. Like most people in the U.K. I have a chance to cast a ballot in the European Elections today. I will not be surprised to discover tomorrow that a lot of electors have stuck two fingers up to too our leaders over the whole sorry saga of The EEC. which the history book you mention is just another manifestation of what elitist politicians would like us to believe is the way forward and the future.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah Brian the old political trick of offering a referendum just before an election but dating it to come into affect just before the next election. Talk about double dipping to confuse the great unwashed masses, as they so like saying here in Oz.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EIFION View Post
    Well John, Luther's protests against the Faults of the Catholic Church was the origin of all protestant churches , the clue is in the word. Incidentally most people in the EU are nominally not Roman Catholic. Only mentioned it because I am so fed up of no rational debate over the EU only thing you get is a curious mix of half truths ,urban myths , dreams of former glories, gross over simplification of history etc

Interesting facts there about Luther. Henry 8 with his Church of England may just confuse the concept of how things came about. Interestlingly here in Oz there is little or no mention of Protestants, it is always refered to as Anglican, no doubt as reference to Cof E.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably because we embarrassed them in two world wars.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6