Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: History of Britain being omitted by Brussels.

gray_marian Guest

Default Re: History of Britain being omitted by Brussels.

#31, FOURO, Thank you so much for the added information, it's extremely kind of you and I appreciate greatly you taking the time to inform. My dear old dad would have been tickled pink at the news of David's birth place as we had visited Culzean Castle frequently since I was 14, [42yrs ago] it's magnificent setting is rather splendid......
    Now I'm off to Campbeltown with my cousin on Monday to the meet Angus the local historian there to research the poor side of the family If he's as deft as your good self I'll be ecstatic Thank you again, Marian
    Last edited by gray_marian; 16th May 2014 at 06:19 PM.

2. Likes alf corbyn, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Enjoy yourself in Campbeltown Marian, I'm off to Kent in the morning for a few weeks holiday myself.
    Best Regards,
    FOURO.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An interesting documenatary on TV last night, "Th elast days of Anne Bolyn'. In it a mention of how Henry 8 brought about the Church of England. Just how do you air brush that away? Or could it be the EU wants to see only Catholics in all countries?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

on another thread FUORO mentioned "Rule Britannia" as being written by the Scottish Poet Thompson. The exact wording was "Rue Britannia" but this was changed to "Rule" when Fredrick, the son of George 2nd, the second Hanoverian king of England, set the poem to music. Fredrick was the first German born Hanoverian to truly embrace the English and was at loggerheads with his father as he thought his father was still living in the past and dreaming of Hanover and fighting there to regain the throne. George the third was actually Fredricks son, with both the Butcher Duke of Cumberland, of Culloden infamy and Fredrick dying before they could take the throne. George the third was the first English king to visit Scotland and he repealed the law that had banned the wearing of tartan.
    He is credited with turning Britain into Great Britain, building the huge Navy to protect British trade and defeating the French in the Americas. The growth of the so called middle classes started during his reign with wealthy merchants having the money to spend on not only the necessities of life but also items that they wanted such as fine houses and furnishings.
    So to really annoy Brian, Great Britain really grew out of a German royal line that were brought into the country to fill a void when the Tudor era ended without any natural born heirs. Watch "What did the Georgians do for us" on BBC 2 for the full story.
    rgds
    JA

7. Likes N/A, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you mean , we owe the Krauts????
    Mein Gott.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Brian, sorry but we have a lot to thank the Krauts for
    rgds
    JA

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #31, FOURO, Thank you so much for the added information, it's extremely kind of you and I appreciate greatly you taking the time to inform. My dear old dad would have been tickled pink at the news of David's birth place as we had visited Culzean Castle frequently since I was 14, [42yrs ago] it's magnificent setting is rather splendid......
    Now I'm off to Campbeltown with my cousin on Monday to the meet Angus the local historian there to research the poor side of the family If he's as deft as your good self I'll be ecstatic Thank you again, Marian
    Marian
    see you are of to Campbeltown shortly.
    Do you know of or ever heard of a family called Black.
    Reason for asking is that during WW2 my dad was stationed there and my mother went up and lived there where she made friends with a Martha Black. I took my mother back to see her in 74 when both mother and Mrs. Black would have been in their sixties.
    Enjoyed the place and went back some years later with the then girlfriend, hoping to run into a Mr. McCartney and to purchase some of the produce that grew on his farm but never did meet him.
    rgds
    JA

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

Evening John, whats left of it! I have a Daniel Black married into my paternal grandmother's side. Am also aware of a Martha Black who has a grandson Ian wood [65ish] resident now in Belgium. The connection between both of these Black's are the family names McAurther & Blue. Could that be your
    Martha?

The Martha [no surname] I am trying to locate was born around 1900 she too was a friend of my grandmother and I have a photograph of her taken early 1960's. She had one son that I know of who would now be around 80 years old called Bill does that mean anything to you?

The White Hart is still going strong! The decor hasn't changed unfortunatly So I'm not staying there!
    Last edited by gray_marian; 17th May 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian sorry to butt in, my mother was from Wishire and she had an Aunt Jenny from Glasgow and beleive her surname was Black. Different than my mothers which had been Douglas. Anyhow this Aunt Jenny made the journey from Glasgow to London during the latter part of the war and stayed a couple of days with us. She had a son who lived in central London in one of these Mews apartments. Even as a nipper to me he was as queer as a 2 pound note. His claim to fame was he was one of the extras in that British made movie " I'll Be Your Sweetheart" he was the one on the left pushing the swing with the girl on it, in one scene. Whatever happened to him goodness knows. He however would very much doubt would have sired any children. Cheers John S

13. Likes alf corbyn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian
    Thanks for that and enjoy Campbeltown.
    Martha Black was just a very good friend of my mother and helped immensely when mother had to be rushed to Glasgow hospital to give birth to my eldest sister. When I took mother up we only spent a couple of days there and I only met Martha once. Cannot recall any of her family, just that she was a jolly rotund lady who insisted on giving us the largest afternoon tea I ever encountered.
    The White Hart hotel eh!. Hotel with the loudest, creakiest floor boards ever, sure they deliberately had them like that to prevent any nocturnal adventures by young unmarried couples sneaking into each others rooms for a bout of passion and the beer was pretty awful also!!!!
    rgds
    JA

15. Likes alf corbyn, robpage, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The more I hear about the EU the more it sounds like the Labor party here, always on about equality for all. Great concept but one that will never occur. We may all be born equal but that is where it ends, some do brtter than others in life for no other reason than they have agreater capaity to work or learn. No matter how hard we try we will never eliminate the poor, they will always be with us, as will the most learned and dumb. But we need dumb for parliament so i see no difference to the world no matter how they attempt to change things.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

17. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast