Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: History of Britain being omitted by Brussels.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: History of Britain being omitted by Brussels.

Depends on the size of the knickers whether its a sheet bend, reef knot, running bowline , or timber hitch. The old passion killers reckon would of been good for a bowline JS

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Is that where the verb peruse came from Richard. Maybe he took too long perusing the possibilities of pulling up the tri-colour and making sure it wasnt up Brians pole, he could of thought he was at the South Pole and Brian had beat him to it. If he does get past the North Pole he"ll have to start putting the brakes on long before he hits Greenwich or he may finish up there. Cheers John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John S there is an author of the name Frost can not recall the first name who has written several books on Oz history. He writes that the history about the first fleet that is taught in schools is so corrupt to that it is laughable. Example is how it is taught that the first fleet came out under such deplorable conditions and how badly treated the convicts where. This is a very condensed version okay. Looking back on all the facts and the time of the first fleet. A Phillip made the most successful voyage of any fleet with the minimal loss of life considering the conditions. One of the requirements that he had was everyone to be well fed before the start of the voyage so as to be in as good condition to get through it all. He goes to great lengths with documents to prove his point of view. One only has to really consider what conditions he had to cope with to really admire a person such as himself who stood up to politicians of the day as it seems that they did not expect him to make it to Australia. Wish I could recall his first name so as one could get the book from the library but if interested will try to search out the name and title for you as he has written several books similar to this one.

This is the link for the Author Alan Frost. The first fleet the real story.

http://www.fancygoods.com.au/booksel...ost-black-inc/
    Last edited by Les Woodard; 15th May 2014 at 11:32 PM.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

3. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

les it is good that the names of people from the 1st fleet are still available.......i recall a ozzie rugby league player coming to leeds rhinos ....perhaps 20 years ago calledtunks i think whose forbear was in the ist fleet ....it must be a matter of great pride to be a survivorof that voyage and others of that era.....i think you can google the names of many of those folks on various ships of that time ...i find it very interesting.....regards cappy

5. Likes Les Woodard, N/A, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Les, with a surname like that one immediately thinks of Jack. I think when looking at history one cannot compare with the era one lives, as times and conditions, peoples aspirations, wealth, everything was so different. There must have been plenty of real feats of courage and stamina apart from the ones which were advertised at the time. Most of which were prompted from the land of the gentry so called. The early settlers apart from the convicts out here must have had a hard cruel life in the early days, and it is to them this country owes its present day standard of living, not some greasy politician who wants to give it all away to appease makers of huge profits. From the time of first seeing Australia in 1953 have always admired it especially then, it was a fair country and a land of equal opportunity, that was then this is now and think the people will decide their own future which may not agree with some so called smart ass sitting in parliament. JS

7. Thanks cappy, alf corbyn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People with any brians at all and it would appear they are now in short supply in so mnay areas would know that from history we find our origins. How did we get to this state, for example why do we have the EU. It came about from WW2, as with so many other examples thta were a result of events of the past. Hide them away and how is any one expected to learn anything?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes N/A, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John S I to fell in love with both NZ and here in Oz while at sea hence settling here only because the ship I was on was so bloody modern I could see that I was heading for heartache trying to hold onto the way I liked it and there was no place for this little black duck. That was 69 and yes like yourself liked the absence of divide between the people. I still have high hopes that one day the people and the country will have the resilience to get over this huge hurdle of self interest within the government of the day. It will be the next generation or the one after that but I am sure that the history books will be looking back at this time as one of the most corrupt times since the rum rebellion.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re No 3.
    FLODDEN FIELD, "Englands Revenge for Bannockburn".
    On 9th September 1513, King James IV, at the request of the King of France, led a Scottish army into England and faced English forces of King Henry VIII under the command of Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey, at Flodden in Northumberland. The battle was ferocious and bloody and men were felled by artillery, arrows, pikes, billhooks and swords. At the end of one of the most tragic days in Scottish history, 14,000 men lay dead, 10,000 from the Scots army. Almost every noble family in Scotland lost someone at Flodden. The great lament "Flowers of Scotland" commemorates this tragic loss, and indeed is still played in Scotland whenever something bad happens. King James and thousands of French regular troops were also slain during the battle. Flodden Field was by far the biggest battle fought between England and Scotland and in fact is possibly the largest battle ever fought in Britain. While the battle is largely forgotten in England, Flodden figures prominently in Scottish history alongside iconic triumphs over the English such as the Battle of Bannockburn, but for very different reasons.

FOURO.

12. Thanks alf corbyn thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

#28, Thanks FOURO, David Kennedy Birth 1462 in Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland
    Death 9th Sep 1513 at the Battle of Flodden Field, Northumberland, England
    David Kennedy, 3rd Lord Kennedy (d. 1513) (created Earl of Cassilis in 1509)
    He was my 14th Gt,Grand Uncle. Hence why I started with this particular battle.
    My grandson Alexander is well impressed having had an ancestor there
    battle.jpg
    Last edited by gray_marian; 16th May 2014 at 01:33 PM.

14. Thanks cappy, alf corbyn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, History is wrote by the victors... or its bunk -um... Not my words..{ All that matters is today or now } All of us will soon be history...

16. Likes cappy, N/A, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re No 29.
    Marian, Just thought I'd look into your ancestors pedigree.
    David Kennedy 1st Earl of Cassilis was a Scottish peer, the son of John Kennedy, 2nd Lord Kennedy. David 3rd Lord Kennedy who was created Earl of Cassilis in 1509 took his men from Maybole to fight at Flodden in 1513. He was kia as was his sovereign King James IV in that disastrous battle. His body was brought back for burial in the Old College in the Kirkport. I won't go into every detail but here are some true events regarding Sir David. He was born in Culzean Castle, Maybole, Ayrshire in 1463.
    1487- He was invested as a knight on 29th January 1487/88 by King James III.
    1509- Succeeded to the title of 3rd Lord Kennedy between 24th July 1508 and 13th May 1509.
    He was a Privy Counsellor to King James IV.
    1513- He fought and died on Flodden Field.
    Alexander and yourself should feel very proud of Sir David's pedigree.

FOURO.

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Re No 30.
    Louis,
    I'd like to point out "That a nation without a past, is a lost nation".

FOURO.

18. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, alf corbyn liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast