Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Probably Rubbish!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Probably Rubbish!

Very interesting.
    In the 1400's, a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence the term, 'rule of thumb'.

Many years ago in Scotland , a new game was invented.. It was ruled 'Gentlemen Only....Ladies Forbidden'.. .and thus, the word GOLF entered into the English language.

The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the U.S. Treasury. (I Think that before Obama)

Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

Coca-Cola was originally green.

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska

The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%
    The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died because of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes, the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase...'Goodnight , sleep tight'.

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them 'Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down.' Hence the phrase, 'mind your P's and Q's'.

Many years ago in England , pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic Mugs. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. Hence the phrase, "Wet your whistle".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Probably Rubbish!

Very interesting facts Hugh. I enjoy reading things like this.
    The one about you cannot lick your elbow was brought up last year on the Mathew Wright show. Channel 5 TV. He brought a young woman out of the audience who dispelled that myth by licking both her elbows, not at the same may I add.

John ALbert Evans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hugh
    In the 1400's, a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence the term, 'rule of thumb'.
    can you tell me if that law is still legal?, just in case.!
    Cheers
    Brian.

4. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, cappy, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the isle of man you could kill a Scotsman on one particular day of the year cant remember the day?? brian if I hit barb with a stick I would have to hide the baseball bat and not sleep for life??jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you catch a Welshman inside the city walls after 18:00hrs in Chester you can kill him as long as you use a bow and arrow.

7. Likes N/A, Louis the Amigo, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN PRUDEN View Post
    the isle of man you could kill a Scotsman on one particular day of the year cant remember the day?? brian if I hit barb with a stick I would have to hide the baseball bat and not sleep for life??jp
    John he had to be wearin' a kilt or ye were in deep brown stuff!
    Bob Hollis R716556

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I went down to the rugby club a few days after a big game I walked into the bar ducking and weaving the guys said why are doing that I told them coming home late after the big game and a we bit worse for the weather I walked in to the kitchen said to the wife were is my dinner I wont repeat the answer I got but when I got my dinner out of the oven and I said why is the gravy all dried up 3rd world started and I had to duck the thing she heaved at me that's were I got the habit of ducking and weaving

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sunday morning in our pub was always a good time, good beer, good fun and all would go home to Sunday lunch happy.
    Then on Sunday in walked a wife, not a very happy wife, in fact a very annoyed wife. In her had a dinner, the sunday dinner which she poured over her husbands head. He was never late agin.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, Hi happy john in oz, I saw that happen in real life many years ago in the "Dusty Forge pub in Ely cardiff on a sunday lunch time , The wife gave the land-lord a pice of her mind in front of the bar and started on all the other customers, Calling them worthless drunks e.t.c then turn her attention to her husband, as she opened a carrier bag and took out his sunday dinner put it over his head the bar broke out in applause as she left the pub... I thought it was a stunt... we had them back then in pubs and clubs tarzans ,strippers, and rude nuns , male strippers , policeman, but the land-lord said it was the real thing.. it happen a few times in that pub...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many times, Sunday lunch session, these wives are untrainable, you would think they would time the Sunday lunch for closing time as it was in those days !!!, she could never see my logic in that argument!!, al i used to get was "your dinners in the dog". PS, said tongue in cheek Marion, would not like to raise your blood pressure, KT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast