Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Discharge books

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discharge books

Quote Originally Posted by eric fisher View Post
    My Discharge Book, which I still have, Has a DR for General Conduct, after signing off in Moji, Japan on Christmas Eve 1950.

Any idea how much it might bring? Wouldn't part with it anyway. Eric
    #######at least 3 geishas two bottles of saki and a boottle of suntory whisky ........mebbes 4 geishas but one has to be ugly

2. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eric fisher View Post
    My Discharge Book, which I still have, Has a DR for General Conduct, after signing off in Moji, Japan on Christmas Eve 1950.
    More importantly what did you do to deserve a DR? Inquiring minds want to know

4. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahh, Soo, shipmates. 'Tis a long sad story. Too long for this Thread, but all's well that ends well and I did like Cappy's comments about Geishas and Saki. No, none of mine were ugly. Mentioned somewhere that I nearly married one. No offers for my Discharge Book?!!

6. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#13, Eric, I believe Cappy liked the ladies in Japan also.......hasn't shared his reminisces as yet

8. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hi M, not out tonight ? or on early. Great to see you online, usually miss you.

K. X

10. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Another Hello to Richard, great to see a new member joining in, working back in reverse on missed posts after returning home from work, will catch up on all soon. K.

12. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #13, Eric, I believe Cappy liked the ladies in Japan also.......hasn't shared his reminisces as yet
    now that would be putting a different slant on the matter

14. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Them Geisha girls are ok, with a head full of Saki. and three days later, we docked in Singapore. so only a head ache to tell the tail.

16. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards to my discharge book my eldest son said that they will stay in the family with my medals and other thing regards to my MN days .As regards the Geisha girls when we was guests of the Japanese one of the Jap navy officer lined us up one day and gave a lecture that when they had won the war we would become Japanese and would be able to marry a Japanese girl all of our guys burst out laughing boyoh did he do his nuts waving his big sword around but it came to nothing but we was a bit lucky

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10... Thanks your reply.. No doubt if you only had a DR for conduct, either you had the donor of such discharge considered it as such, maybe like Cappy pouring ice cream over someones head to cool them off. Not having one for ability shows that the donor again couldnt do so or was afraid of the repurcussions at the Federation. The giving of such discharges while the intention was to try and keep down problems shipwise with the fear of getting such, was more often than not abused by giving a double DR which to me was illegal morally as the recipient was most frequently not lacking in Ability. The issue of the new discharge books where the Conduct and Ability was not in the Book shows some thought must have gone into this. I myself received a Good for conduct when I walked away from a ship in Japan and threatened to bring the British Consulate into it and declaring the ship unseaworthy. Didnt mean anything as the ship was under a foreign flag and I just stuck a V in front of the G. I told the authorities and my new employers on going back under the British Flag and was told that was what I got for going foreign flag.I was Ch.Mate at the time. The ship was scrapped very shortly after. Her sistership was arrested in Montreal and sold to pay the crews wages, she had a yugoslav crew. There are still ships like this floating around regardless of all the hype about modern tonnage. Seamen of our era were not treated the best, the third world crews of today have all this to go through and has probably already started, you can only go so long before cheap crews cease to exist. Hence the frantic haste to minimize crew numbers. Cheers John S.

20. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast