Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Walmart Container Ship

gray_marian Guest

Default Re: Walmart Container Ship

Must admit Alf, the last time I had to change a flat tyre on the motorway I had to call for assistance as I could not loosen all of the nuts.
    Thankfully a traffic policeman duly arrived. I had brought the spare tyre out, which just left me and the dogs at the side of the road. It Took
    him ages I know this, as he asked me to hold his watch! Eventually after much sweating of brow he completed the task, then after checking
    the tread of the remaining tyres and tax disc sent me on my way. I was as pleasant and grateful as could be, there wasn't a laugh in him.
    Made sure not to be caught out since.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this ship is the example that i was reading of at some point, where there are not enough crew to tie her up, and let go. if this is true then the extra crew board her afloat to assist. You look at the size of the ship, when mooring i would think 3 on the bridge ?, 3 in the engine room, 7 left to moor up?, some work involved there. If what John in Oz says only 8 is true, tying up impossible!!!. Emergency at sea does not bear thinking about. KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first time I saw a container ship was when I was second cook and baker on the Phyllis Bowater, we were tied up on the MSC. I was working bye at the time, it was in the early 1960's. I cann't remember the name or tonnage of the ship but it really looked top heavy, I said to the cook who was also with me having a brew on the poop deck, as it sailed passed on the way to the River Mersey,"Wow look at that, they will never catch on." How wrong I was

John Albert Evans.
    Last edited by John Albert Evans; 24th January 2014 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, John
    Tying up this mega container ships is a breeze compared to what many of us here had to endure.
    All moorings are on split drum winches and are of man made fibre ropes. Winches are controlled from the bridge with CCTV showing the mooring areas. Only one guy aft to throw the heaving line. Its a nightmare scenario in my eyes but that the way of the world today.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some companies employ docking and undocking crews, they arrive with the pilot boat on the way in and leave with the pilot boat on the way out. But at sea in an emergency make sure you know where the lifeboat and rafts are. 8 men on a ship, no time for a bit of banter then, what a moronic existence, thank god for the 40's to 60's eras' at sea, often said life at sea beats 9-5 ashore, but not so sure now with this modern trend, glad I'm too old to go back, I'll just sit back and enjoy my memories, even the crap ones.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    Must admit Alf, the last time I had to change a flat tyre on the motorway I had to call for assistance as I could not loosen all of the nuts.
    Thankfully a traffic policeman duly arrived. I had brought the spare tyre out, which just left me and the dogs at the side of the road. It Took
    him ages I know this, as he asked me to hold his watch! Eventually after much sweating of brow he completed the task, then after checking
    the tread of the remaining tyres and tax disc sent me on my way. I was as pleasant and grateful as could be, there wasn't a laugh in him.
    Made sure not to be caught out since.
    Perhaps a subscription to one of the roadside rescue organisations might raise a laugh next time you have problems with your nuts Marian. Incidentally, did he get his watch back?
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She did say he was sweating and mopping his brow, was it only the watch she was holding?

8. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2