Thread: Anti - British?

gray_marian Guest

Default Anti - British?

This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in
    CAMPBELTOWN, SCOTLAND.

'WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000 AL QAEDA TERRORISTS THAN WITH ONE SINGLE BRITISH SOLDIER!'

You are probably outraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement.

However, Britain is a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps its greatest liberty.

After all, it is ONLY A SIGN.

You may ask What kind of business would dare to post such a sign?

Answer:

A FUNERAL PARLOUR.

(WHO SAID THE SCOTTISH UNDERTAKERS HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR?)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anti - British?

Marion
    My father was stationed in Cmpbeltown for a period during WW2, he was Captain on a deep sea rescue tug. My eldest sister was born there (well actually in Glasgow hospital but at the time of her birth mother was living in Campbeltown). I took her up there in the 70's to see her great friend from those war years, a Martha Black and we stayed at the White Horse Inn? which was run by a very dour women. I had my girlfriend with me also and the only rooms available were singles and no en-suites. Now I don't know if it was the age of the building or whether it was deliberate, but the wooden floors in the corridors were the creakiest ones I have ever encountered so if you tried to sneak into another room the noise they made would wake the dead.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

doing a night sail on a yacht up to cambletown it was a dark wet night.....my wife pat and me and my mate and his wife....we could only berth along side another yacht ...named the red martlet....it was registered in Ireland and to be honest.....was in a hell of a mess....we came alongside as gently as possible so as not to wakethe red martlet crewi jumped aboard and proceeded to make fast...we were all with our heavy wether gear on and muffled up for the cold......the two wives standing in the cockpit......out comes a guy in just his jockeys.....we said sorry if we woke you ...he said no problem ....while imup I shall just take a pi......out he pulled it not knowing the two wives were standing in front of him.....the girls being stalwarts never turned a hair .......my mate and I were cheesed of when the girls kept saying ...by that was the biggest one we ever saw.....and you told us you had bigguns .....the next morning when he saw the two girls he apologised for what he did ......but I saw the glint in his eye.....good fun sailing

gray_marian Guest

#2 John, White Hart Hotel Campbeltown [1850] still standing complete with white stone stag halfway up the outside wall, remember? I too was trying to locate a 'Martha ?' [she had a son called Bill] friend of my paternal grandmother who left Campbeltown 1916.

In Jarmans Hotel Forfar [where my paternal grandfather came from] aged 17, I had a lucky escape from an over ardent lorry driver due to creaky floorboards........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the other side of the World in the late 30s and 40's Campbelltown our nearest town was four miles away. The two main hotels were 'Lacks' and 'The Good Intent' (for bad intentions, my mother reckoned). On a fairly regular basis my father walked the hilly road on a Saturday, met old codgers from the 14/18 war, got plastered and sometimes got a lift back in Bill A'Hearn's horse and dray. Bill always filled himself in but managed to climb up on the seat and wobble from side to side as the horse, who knew his way home, would trot off in that direction.

Us bush kids used to go to the pictures there on a Saturday night - no buses in those days - and a quick visit to the public telephone box to pick up the phone to the operator, "Are you on the Campbelltown line?" ("Yes") '' Well you'd better get off quick, there's an express coming". Scamper - scamper!

Here is a snippet of Campbelltown (NSW) memoirs days:

At fourteen years of age I left school and immediately sought a job. The bakery in Campbelltown was looking for a boy to grease bread baking tins and general help. The hours were four in the morning to twelve noon so there was not a lot of competition for the vacancy. Taking on the job meant that I had a bicycle ride of four miles on rutty, unpaved steeply undulating roads. East Minto, later renamed Minto Heights, was on a much higher elevation than Campbelltown. Between two and four o’clock in the morning with a pathetic beam of light from the dynamo rubbing against the front tyre trying to show the way I bumped and swerved down the hills to Campbelltown. Returning home was another thing as the bike had only one gear, being more than useless on the steep uphill sections.
    As the days dragged by my mother decided it was a good idea to use a fenced block of eleven acres she owned at Leumeah to graze our three horses, Tibby the mare, Matilda, her filly and Silver, her foal. The block had no water and as I had to pass by on my way to and from the bakery, I could ride Tibby bareback to the creek down the road with Matilda and Silver keeping close by their mother.
    This solution to the absence of water was all well and good but Tibby was not always willing to have the halter around her head and I could spend quite a long time coaxing her to allow me to climb aboard. The upshot of this was that by the time I had taken them to the creek, placed them back in the paddock and wearily cycled home, I was thoroughly knackered. Worse still, I had used up much of the precious time I needed to sleep before setting off again at two o’clock next morning.
    It lasted but a few months. One dark morning I was leaning on the outside wall of the bakery vomiting from sheer exhaustion when the baker came out and told me to go home and stay there.

After that the Merchant Navy was a ball!!!

Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #2 John, White Hart Hotel Campbeltown [1850] still standing complete with white stone stag halfway up the outside wall, remember? I too was trying to locate a 'Martha ?' [she had a son called Bill] friend of my paternal grandmother who left Campbeltown 1916.

In Jarmans Hotel Forfar [where my paternal grandfather came from] aged 17, I had a lucky escape from an over ardent lorry driver due to creaky floorboards........
    .......wasn't alf corbyn was it he used to drive wagons up there

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and no benefits in those days Richard you either sank or swim ......I think a hard but good upbringing...regards cappy

gray_marian Guest

#6 Cappy, Unfortunately not Alf, twas a chap from Northern Ireland
    Last edited by gray_marian; 13th January 2014 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #6 Cappy, Unfortunately not Alf, twas a chap from Northern Ireland
    .....alf does a very good irish accent bejasus