Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Suits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Suits

I used to like wearing a suit in foreign ports. got a few pulls plus a few admiring glances. when I left Gravesend my first ship was P&O in tilbury. one of the stewards said come to the dance with me, when he saw me wearing my sea school uniform, he made me change into some clothes he gave me. I always remembered him. he was a scouser.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recall a gents tailors on London Road in Liverpool called John Olley who would make you a suit from your 'acquired' yard and a half. I bought my first bit of gear there- midnight blue single- breasted with a gold fleck- did some posing round the corner in Lime Street and seemed to attract a lot of attention from a few of the 'ladies' promenading along that thoroughfare.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    I recall a gents tailors on London Road in Liverpool called John Olley who would make you a suit from your 'acquired' yard and a half. I bought my first bit of gear there- midnight blue single- breasted with a gold fleck- did some posing round the corner in Lime Street and seemed to attract a lot of attention from a few of the 'ladies' promenading along that thoroughfare.
    Well Gilly, if you wore that suit today with the gold fleck, you'd attract more than the ladies attention!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, my normal suits were from Norman bites your leg, had a few made by morris and Cohen, when I had a few bob or goodfellows and french tailors to the stars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    John I bought this light jacket in Olley's with a pair of dark trousers to go with it I thought it was the part.I was well ashore and married when I went into my wardrobe and it had gone I was furious"where's my oatmeal jacket" I've dumped it was the answer it was growing mould on the shoulders!!!Oh how I hated throwing clothes out.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prescott ???? That great fat oaf couldn't look good in anything. Talk to some of the old hands off the Queen Mary. They'll tell you about him. Might have been the Queen Elizabeth but I'm sure it was the Mary.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

louis i rember paying off in liverpool abloke was thear any body want to come tto his wharehouse a few of us went he had suits coats you name it he had it i bougt acrobmbie coat top stuff in them days veary cheap i was well smart any body remember him?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    I remember buying a suit length and had it made up.First night wearing it I went out with some friends to meet a friend of their's and the friend had the same suit as me "SNAP" his was knock off as well. I think we used to pay about £2.00 for a length ( 2 and a half yards I think) about a fiver to have it made up,not bad when a good suit then was about £14 guineas.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

You two, fifty dockers and ten A.B.'s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in fleetwood ihad my suits from burtons the fishing lads got thear suits from massys on dock sreet had pleats on the back dekkie suits thay wear called you wont reccal them unlles you wear a fsherman

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I came home I had a demob suit so wanted to get rid of it so I think went to the 30 bob tailors (Burtons )would that be the name Pin stripe double breasted

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast