Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do You have a wasteful wife/family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do You have a wasteful wife/family

Is that the same as 6 Groats
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hello hello rob back to sheep and goats again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Is that the same as 6 Groats
    No Rob- you'd get change from that, almost a farthing (in new money) enough to buy you a slap up meal in Mrs Miggins Pie shop, A yard of ale and a visit to Madame Ecstasy's Emporium. And still have change for a visit later on to Dr Ross's discreet establishment.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On cargo ships we could'nt waste anything because there was barely enough to go around the passenger ships were different.I joined the Emp.Of Britain up in the engineers I ran the pantry.The food that was dumped after 7 bell meals was ridiculous it took me a couple of days to see what was going on before i put the blocks on this wastage.They were all single lads apart from me and they wondered what my hang up was on not wasting food.I had quite a run out of work in between ships the Social Security was not like it is now so i knew what it was like to scrimp through the week and to see food wasted was soul destroying Biafra was also going at the time.This was the situation, supposing there was lamb chops pork chops and roast lamb on the menu and six 7 bell men came in.The order was 12 lamb chops 12 pork chops and a leg of lamb so what ever was ordered it was to hand.So if the six came in and all ordered lamb chops the 12 pork chops and the leg of lamb would go over the wall,crazy.If they all went for fish all the meat would be dumped.I organised it so the menu was sent around to the 7 bell men early,they in turn put their rank alongside what they wanted,so 3rd engineer 3E against the pork chop etc.So what happened was just what was required for the meal was ordered.The boss man ordered the stores so that was out of my hands,the pantry fridge was full of butter,we dont need any butter he was told,get it dont let the storekeeper have it,up it came and went over the side.The 2nd engineer ordered two 3 minute boiled eggs,to hard,to soft to soft to hard,14 eggs sent back and then he settled for an omelette,would he do that at home,,I dont think so.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

on a shell tanker an ab asked the cook if he could have a hard boiled egg as he might eat it later and could put it in his pocket cos he had a really heavy nightthe night before we sailed the cook a big lad from shields said no problem the next day the bacon eggs etc went to the crew mess man....along with one hard boiled egg .....the sailor came to the galley and asked if he could change for a fried egg the cookthrew a colander straight at him and told him to eff off did he think he was going bto eat a la carte on a effin shell tanker ....only didvabout 4 minths on her but every day the hard boiled egg went to the messman......a ships cook under god

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hey marian. didn't know your hubby's name was gene!.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

re Jims post #14, I was engineers steward on the Carinthia were we had a system of meal ordering wherin a copy of the menu for meals was distributed to every room and department and taken down into the engine room as well. the 12-4 seven bells men ordered their breakfas/lunch after finishing their previous watch. We collected all the previously selected choices. alerted the relevant galley departments and collected as and when required- no food spoiling in our topside hot press, everything freshly cooked and served. No waste. All done economically. ( well, almost- apart from the occasional filet mignon or pate de foie gras ordered by a phantom junior 3rd engineer.
    gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like that John [Quote] alerted the relevent galley departments.Most of the time when you alerted the relevent galley departments and they knew it was for the engineers you'd normaly be told to F/off. I liked that passing up job John it was good being on the phone out of the way in the main kitchen.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it must be me that's the waste full one she always says i'm a waste of space?{what do's she mean} jp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2