Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Captains Wages.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captains Wages.

A story in todays Liverpool Echo.A guy working for Meridian Marine Management invented a "Ghost" captain and paid him wages from April 2010 to June 2012 for working on different ships.Total paid out £320.000 which was paid into a bank account in the fraudsters wife's name.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captains Wages.

I think that happens quite a lot, `ghost ` employees, wages money in a bank account
    One Big International company I worked for , Thousands of employees nationwide and world wide in the head Office in London, the people Computers on the wages dept. had all their families on the pay roll.
    When they were found out, they were not prosecuted and Not sacked, They were so clever that they were transferred to the Fraud Dept. and used their skills there.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By my arithmetic that's 12307 pounds a month. 147, 684 per annum., and people believed that. In 1988 I was on 34 pounds a day, no work no pay. There must be one born every day. Brian was on a good screw though. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Capn. couldn't you have slipped your name in among that lot?
    I would have,--but I'm far too honest
    regards
    Honest Col.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When in the Dairy industry a Chief Engineer of a Large Factory on the South Coast employing an Engineering Department of approximately 40 people , had two electricians on the payroll that were on shifts they never appeared for ,, he wa running a contracting business with these two guys in an unmarked company van , doing electrical work whilst picking up their wages and overtime . He was discretely asked to leave , no prosecution as the major brand did not want the World at large to know they employed Idiots as senior managers
    Last edited by robpage; 22nd November 2013 at 04:53 PM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

leratty Guest

The ways employees have to defraud or steal from a Co are so diverse that it is virtually (not good choice of words in computer age) impossible to track them. One Co we had we put security cameras everywhere but the toilets & that only cut theft by maybe 40%. How many were caught via this system & still would lie about it was amazing, even with the photos showing them they were stealing. The use of Co credit cards bemused me, how they could think those purchases were a: not dated so we knew they were using it at the weekend for their own purposes or b: putting bed linen or booze etc on it. The petrol ones were the best, the station was supposed to check the reg No against the card but rarely did, so the family cars were also fuelled by the Co. Then we worked out their mileage, checked each month against the charge & bingo so many caught. One guy took the Co car to another state for his holidays & charged us for his petrol! He could not understand when the GM asked him if the Co should have paid for his flights if he had gone on holidays by air. He was middle management too. Cash sales were a doozey so many were caught at this, just amazing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When Sealink introduced electronic tills , away back in the early 1980s , the 40Mb hard drive was the size of two filing cabinets , the computer firm could not understand the failure rate in the bar tills , The keyboards broke down , The system was ICL a top of the range system well proven ashore , the keyboards were membrane and relatively waterproof , there was a layer of cardboard as an insulation layer in the membrane and Cola with its corrosive properties used to leech into this layer and bust , what was then an expensive keypad , the barman explained that they used to spill cola a lot because it was fizzy , I believed them , well me and the little green fairy did .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

john sutton Guest

many years ago I had a friend who had a substantial haulage business and on a trip to Yorkshire he had to fill his jag with petrol.
    This was before the days of credit cards.He was in the kiosk paying for the petrol and a truck pulled onto the forcourt.The driver came into the kiosk and said to the attendant"do you play the violin?"the attendant replied in the negative and the driver left.
    My friends comment was that from then on he took a closer look at where his drivers were putting petrol bills from

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thinking of the Haulage business , one night crossing Portsmouth / Cherbourg at half speed on the car deck a trailer was getting its wheels swapped around with those on the next door trailer , one - the Donor was a well known haulage giant , the recipient an Owner Driver , those tyres were £400 - £500 in those days and the two brand new ones were changed for almost bald ones , The cardeckman was nowhere to be seen , to stop them would have meant a huge off loading delay , so I walked away , wrong , but I did .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there was a big firm in the sixties or seventies? i think, where the wages man in charge of the computer created a fictional employee and then rounded up all the odd halfpennies to pennies then transferred them to this employee. he made a very good living out of it.
    with regards to the HGV drivers fiddles. most of them had a fiddle of some kind. one of mine was car park tickets. there was a little office at the entrance to salford docks. you gave the man a couple of pounds and he would give you about twenty pounds worth of car park tickets for when you had a night out. you would then hand the firm a ticket for a town you stayed in and get the money. also some of the cafes would give you a car park ticket. there was one in gateshead i remember.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast