Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elvis

gray_marian Guest

Default Elvis

Sorry chaps nothing to do with MN as such...There is a TV programme on ITV1 at present regarding Elvis and his songs, anyone have memories of a favourite and willing to share what ships they were on at that time?
    Last edited by gray_marian; 8th November 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Elvis

I have been looking forward to the programme all week Marian. When the news flash came on ITV that Elvis had died, read by Reginald Bosanquet, I was absolutely devastated, a total mess. Even today my daughter who is now 43 remembers me breaking down in tears. This was on a Tuesday night and the following day I had to travel upto Cairnryan to rejoin the ferry that I was on. At the time I was working for Townsend Thoreson. Since Elvis died I have been to Graceland twice, and really enjoyed it and all that Memphis has to offer. Mind you if you are not an Elvis fan then the the whole experience would be a waste of time and money. As they say there have been many pretenders, many contenders but only one King. Long live the King
    Yours Elvisly
    John
    Last edited by John Callon; 8th November 2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By the way, for the unitiated, my post is not intended as a wind up in any way shape or form. I am proud to be a dedicated Elvis Fan. I forgot to mention Marian in the programme tonight they were talking about the Elvis Live Concert where Elvis is on a big screen with his band and back up singers playing live on stage. I have seen the concert twice, once in Newcastle and the second time in Glasgow and would recommend the concert to anyone.
    Regards
    John

gray_marian Guest

Thank you John, Your travelling to Cairnryan reminded me of my first trip on a Townsend Thorson ferry in November 1979. Went with my hubby and baby son to Belfast, delivering a greyhound for a race in Dublin. It was decided that I should have b/fast first whilst hubby minded the the dog. Needless to say he had no sooner started his, when I had to beckon him from the resturant . I spent the remainder of the crossing in the loo shouting for Ralph & Huey. Hubby was famished and not best pleased left holding the baby and said dog.Did I care...not a jot.... and you thought this might be about Elvis!
    Last edited by gray_marian; 9th November 2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Spelling mistook

gray_marian Guest

John, We would certainly attend that. It sounded wonderful on TV.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian I was still working on the ferries out of Cairnryan in 1979, finally left them early 1980 to rejoin Cunard based in San Juan. Regarding the Elvis show you have to keep your eyes on the media as to when the concert is coming to the the UK. They tend to split the venues up depending on what part of the world the concert is playing. The UK tour takes in Europe so the schedule could be London/Birmingham/Liverpool or Manchester/Glasgow/Dublin/Paris/Berlin/Rome and then back to the states. Hope you can manage to catch one of the shows.
    Regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watched it last night just great, and booked tickets for show in May 2014 cant wait.
    Here is a link for dates,AJ
    http://www.viagogo.co.uk/Concert-Tic...adposition=1t1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi AJ, I am sure you will enjoy the show. At the end of the concert you can go up to the stage and meet members of of the band and back up singers and have a chat with them. I managed to to meet James Burton, lead guitar with the TCB Band and Charlie Hodge Rhythm guitar. He was also in the Army with Elvis in Germany.
    Regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John saw the last show a couple of years ago and it was just pure magic, but i believe this show will be a little different. Going to Gracelands in March so looking forward to that as well any tips.
    AJ

john sutton Guest

I used to sell cars to American troops in Germany in a town called Giessen which is next to the town where elvis was stationed(bad nauheim or bad homberg.It was a long time ago)
    The troops he was stationed with thought the world of him as he was one of them and asked for no favours.
    He could have spent his time touring and playing for the troops but he insisted that he was treated like the others and wouldn't even gig for the sargents mess.
    BMW gave his a sports car as a gift and he sent it back as the girls used to write on it in lipstick and it was too conspicuous as there were only a few of that model made.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast